Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Gallagher has two more years on his contract after this season. Unless he gets injured, he'll be in Montreal next year when Demidov arrives.
That supposes that Demidov comes to North America next year and that if he comes, he can make the Canadiens. Let's see how he does in the KHL this year, before we anoint him with a roster position in just over 12 months. .

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That supposes that Demidov comes to North America next year and that if he comes, he can make the Canadiens. Let's see how he does in the KHL this year, before we anoint him with a roster position in just over 12 months. .
I think it's likely that a 5th overall makes the third line in his D+2 season.

I see injury and geopolitics as the main plausible obstacles. Admittedly they're significant but leaving that aside I think the third line in the NHL is a good place for him in 12 months.

Separate from him having been a 5th overall, I think wingers are the fastest to make the NHL.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think it's likely that a 5th overall makes the third line in his D+2 season.

I see injury and geopolitics as the main plausible obstacles. Admittedly they're significant but leaving that aside I think the third line in the NHL is a good place for him in 12 months.

Separate from him having been a 5th overall, I think wingers are the fastest to make the NHL.
Talent is not a problem. It's keeping his head up and avoid being injured. NHL is a tought league and no mercy. No need to rush, Habs have to be smart and use some patience. Everything could end up allright.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You have lot of balls to say that almost everything negative written and said about Laine in media is bullshit. Sounds like a blind fanboyism. Laine is now a hab and i naturally hope that he will be again goal scoring machine he once was.

Ps. I dont hate Laine, just his old club Tappara…
Finnish fight! :popcorn:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Does the Hockey News have anyone on staff who isn't a complete idiot?
True story and fun fact: I was sorta coaching a men’s team in a tourney some years back and we had to play THN team in the quarter finals. Including Ken Campbell. They sucked, we killed them but they whined all game, were cheap shot artists and showed a lot of contempt towards us as a Mtl team. I lost all respect for them. They are Toronto shills.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So after reading the other fan bases réactions to the Laine trade it seems Ottawa really hates us, then the Leafs and the Bruins last.

I had a look. They're so salty and afraid we're going to overtake them, reinforcing the embarrassment from their lack of progress. That one dude talking about having been in the finals in 2021 and already looking to take a turn had them shook.

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
Finally caught up reading this thread in its entirety. Got a late start and took me days as this thread took off like wildfire. I too wanted Laine when the rumours first started. Huge upside. Laine will be a beast. Just as excited as most of the fans here. Truly optimistic which is a real nice feeling. GHG.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
So after reading the other fan bases réactions to the Laine trade it seems Ottawa really hates us, then the Leafs and the Bruins last.
I have a few friends who are Leaf and Bruin fans who kept saying to me "I can't wait until the Habs improve. So we can start playing meaningful games against you guys".

Be careful what you wish for. :D

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Ain't that that truth. It's a damn shame Price couldn't have played a few years more and been a part of this really talented team that HuGo has put together. You can never have too much talent on a team. Laine's talent isn't in question in my mind. It's his ability to handle pressure and if he'll mesh with the rest of the kids they have coming up this year. I think he'll fit in fine.
If Price plays on the team this season, even with how green our D is, I think there’s a chance we actually go farther than most think. The guy never had an offense this potent and deep in front of him, it’s a freaking shame that his career was basically spanned over MB’s tenure… I get mad when I think about it.

Reactions: Pickles

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Price plays on the team this season, even with how green our D is, I think there’s a chance we actually go farther than most think. The guy never had an offense this potent and deep in front of him, it’s a freaking shame that his career was basically spanned over MB’s tenure… I get mad when I think about it.
If Price was still here, then yes we would be a playoff teams but you don't draft Slaf/Reinbacher/Demidov if he was still here

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Ottawa's my most hated team (both the team and the fanbase) so it checks out.

Bruins are a classy organization and pretty humble fans for being one of the most successful teams of the 2010-20's.

Leafs I can feel some sympathy for because they have dedicated fans despite the constant disappointment.

Senators fans on the other hand, have absolutely no reason to be as smug as they are.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Exactly what I have been saying.

Bergevin had all the cap space in the world and a mandate to win, and was basically given a team where he had to add two ingredients to consistently compete for a cup.

And he couldn't do it.
Wasn’t just his roster building that i judge him by. It was his coaching decisions first and foremost. There were red flags the moment he hired Michel Therrien for me. He had a star dman on the verge of becoming elite and he hires a guy who was bashing him on TV. Got a make him a better person and all that jazz. From that moment, I already questioned his judgement. Then the doubling down, foxhole buddy horseshit.

Every year all he did was try to lower expectations. It’s a transition year, he must have used this one for 6-7 years. He was building through the draft, but never added any additional first round picks. No direction, no plan, exactly what you’d expect from a former borderline NHLer with no education.

Trade for Drouin, but then let Marky and Radulov go, then declare Drouin your number 1 center. What a f***ing mess, lost his entire left side on one off season and replaced Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu with Alzner, Streit and Schlemko and then had the nerve to say this d is better than last years. He was a train wreck.

Above all else, he was completely unlikable. I’ve been watching the Habs since I was a very small child. Complete games at 5-6 years old. I used to make a deal with my mom that if I took a nap earlier in the evening she would let me stay up for the game. In over 40 years of watching the Habs that was the only stretch of time where I became completely disinterested. The product was terrible on the ice and there wasn’t even anything to be hopeful of because you knew the man in charge was lost. Now we’re a bad team, but fun to watch and a GM with a plan and competence. I’m excited about the team again and I didn’t know if that would ever come back.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I can tell you right now he has more skill today than some in our top 9
That may well be a case of damning him with the faintest of praise. The list is long and distinguished of highly skillful players who failed to succeed in the NHL where the game is played in a confined ice surface against the best players in the world.

As I said, let’s exercise a degree of restraint in our collective expectations as to this kid’s projected, immediate impact. Let’s see how he performs this year against older, stronger and better competition in the KHL.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Doesn't feel like much of a win for CBJ. Laine seems motivated to prove everyone wrong. And he's young enough to put things on track. It's not like Waddel dumped an old declining vet with a big contract. Laine was a core piece when they acquired him. So they are definitely losers in the overall scheme. Very poor asset manangement.
It's good trade for Montreal. Definitely won't lose. Jackets may get back more if they get good return rent out caproom

But damn I really wanted that high pick next year. McQueen or Martone. Was going to use Miami pick to move up. Probably include first we get for Savard. Now, we half chance playoff team. Likely can't sell at deadline. Totally changed things. In long term could hurt team.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
If Price was still here, then yes we would be a playoff teams but you don't draft Slaf/Reinbacher/Demidov if he was still here
Of course you don’t, but even if you just look at what Hughes has been able to add other than through the draft, just shows you how incapable MB was at building a team around him. Also, the habs did draft 3rd overall twice and 8th overall once while Carey was still playing, so it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility that they could’ve had a few top picks still with him on the team

Reactions: Vachon23

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That may well be a case of damning him with the faintest of praise. The list is long and distinguished of highly skillful players who failed to succeed in the NHL where the game is played in a confined ice surface against the best players in the world.

As I said, let’s exercise a degree of restraint in our collective expectations as to this kid’s projected, immediate impact. Let’s see how he performs this year against older, stronger and better competition in the KHL.

So far in preseason, he is looking like he did in the MHL.

A degree of restraint is always wise. But i still find it hard with the greatest prospect we had of my lifetime.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So far in preseason, he is looking like he did in the MHL.

A degree of restraint is always wise. But i still find it hard with the greatest prospect we had of my lifetime.

I understand people wanting to be restrained.. I find myself being nervous going into his games this year because we just aren't used to having a talent like this. There's no way he's actually this good, there's no way he has this potential.

But every time you watch him, it's clear this kid is special.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I understand people wanting to be restrained.. I find myself being nervous going into his games this year because we just aren't used to having a talent like this. There's no way he's actually this good, there's no way he has this potential.

But every time you watch him, it's clear this kid is special.

Could not agree more.

And also, he is a mega chad and has that superstar aura.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
A few days gone by, still sitting here in disbelief, I think Laine makes the habs a WC contender this year. I think our top 6 is above average and our PP will be top 10 next year. I just love this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad