Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Exactly. That would be stupid flipped him if he put 40g with healthy season.

Suzuki = 25 years old. Laine = 26 years old. No problem to keep him as long as Suzuki.
Just have Suzuki build a basement Zen-Room 5D video gaming hyper-spa so we bring out the best in the guy!! He just needs a new start, more mature, and at the peak of his physical power..
He's a straight up Enigma, just like Kovy... and guess what, us crazy mtl fans got Kovy's heart ticking... the longer Kovy was here the better he got.
I think PL needs that hockey spirit to feel alive again.. i cant believe we got him at the lowest possible buying point of his entire career.

6 years ago we were begging for talent, anything.... we were so starved of talent we were in awe of Dutch Gretzky Mr. Weiss...

Reactions: Pickles

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would be floored to learn that ;
A- Xhekaj was on that list
B- Columbus would pass on Xhekaj for Harris.

Not impossible but to me it would be a no brainer to pick the big boy.
Agreed . Highly unlikely that Xhekaj was made available. If exposing Xhekaj was the cost to acquire Laine, Hughes would have taken a pass.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Looks like Mario
Mario was able to deke on both sides easily.

Laine is shifty and smooth like Mario but he dekes always on his backhand...every single time

Anyhow I am so happy with Laine !!

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Just have Suzuki build a basement Zen-Room 5D video gaming hyper-spa so we bring out the best in the guy!! He just needs a new start, more mature, and at the peak of his physical power..
He's a straight up Enigma, just like Kovy... and guess what, us crazy mtl fans got Kovy's heart ticking... the longer Kovy was here the better he got.
I think PL needs that hockey spirit to feel alive again.. i cant believe we got him at the lowest possible buying point of his entire career.

6 years ago we were begging for talent, anything.... we were so starved of talent we were in awe of Dutch Gretzky Mr. Weiss...

100%

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Could not be more happy how this has turned out.
IMG_3939.png

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Agreed . Highly unlikely that Xhekaj was made available. If exposing Xhekaj was the cost to acquire Laine, Hughes would have taken a pass.
I think Hugo's plan is to turn Xhekaj into a 4th line F. Join his brother, and maybe Tuch to create the meanest and deadliest mf 4th line in the league. And im not talking goonery; fast, heavy, bruising skaters with a nact for scoring, yet defensive awareness. Nasty good.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

Ain't that that truth. It's a damn shame Price couldn't have played a few years more and been a part of this really talented team that HuGo has put together. You can never have too much talent on a team. Laine's talent isn't in question in my mind. It's his ability to handle pressure and if he'll mesh with the rest of the kids they have coming up this year. I think he'll fit in fine.

Reactions: themilosh

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I get where you're coming from but I seriously doubt Bergevin is very much focused or cares about what's going on in Montreal. He's employed by the Los Angeles Kings and is in all likelihood just focused on that role. Don't think he's going around comparing his GMing to Kent Hughes.

With that said, I doubt he ever gets a big gig like that again.
I get the feeling the man has a big ego, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he does exactly that. He shouldn’t, but he’s Marc Bergevin.

The guy stunk, maybe the worst GM in Habs history. Houle had an excuse, there was a mandate to cut costs. This idiot was trying to win.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don Waddell was on Sports radio last night speaking about Laine trade.
It's good trade for both teams he stated.

Why trade Laine? When Waddell became GM he called all players about their future with the team. Laine informed him he didn't want to be part of their future.

At beginning of summer He spoke with most every club about Laine to get a feel for the market. Many clubs were cap tight. Wanted him to retain or take bad contract back. Laine at 8.7 million caphit, 9 million actual cash was big for team. Montreal had became interested recently and was only club willing to make this kind of deal.

The 8.7 caphit was big because he can make moves for additional assets.. The day he made trade several teams contacted him about moving contracts.. He's going to be patience and see what comes across his desk. He said teams allowed to go 10% over but have to be at cap finish of camp.

Why Jordan Harris? Waddell likes good, deep defense. Montreal had given him a list of names and he picked Harris. He said his experience with Carolina, Scotty's Wings, has taught to build from Blueline out. Harris is smart, good at moving puck out of his own end. Waddell said the less time you spend in your own end the less goals you give up. The second part why Harris is he's a character guy. He spoke with Trevor Timmins prior to the trade and told him one reason he drafted Harris was he was quality person.

Why included a 2nd? He had to give Montreal something to take on contract of that size. He had taken on a contract before and received a first.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As mentioned before................no way did Waddell want the distraction to be handed to a new coach either......he was always going to take the best deal he could.
Habs had the cap space.......no one else interested could take the entire contract.
Harris for a 2nd is a great deal.............Laine for cap space is a great deal.

Win/Win for all.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Don Waddell said we gave them a list of players to choose from and they picked Harris. I wonder who else was being offered.
Harris and Strubble is a given. Maybe Engstrom. CJB had a spot open on the 3rd line for a LHD, so that's probably what they requested.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I see a few here assume that KH just offered Waddell D’s in exchange for PL.
CJB had 37 years old Jack Johnson on their 3rd LD pair for this season before getting Harris (no place at RHD thought) and they didn't want to bring back too much money. If Waddell made his need clear, the list was probably mostly young LHDs.

Reactions: Paddyjack

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
CJB had 37 years old Jack Johnson on their 3rd LD pair for this season before getting Harris (no place at RHD thought) and they didn't want to bring back too much money. If Waddell made his need clear, the list was probably mostly young LHDs.
Agree with this. And once Harris was made available forget it, Harris was Timmins pick

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Our top 6 is quite unproven. But there is a lot of talent
Slafkovsky- 1st oa
Laine - 2nd oa
Dach- 3rd oa
Suzuki- 13th oa
Caufield- 15th oa
Newhook- 16th oa
Coming up: Demidov 5th oa

We haven’t had that much talent and draft capital in our lineup since I watch hockey (20 years). It’s exciting
Matheson (our third leading point getter last year) and Armia (our fourth leading goalscorer) were also first round picks.

And let's not forget the talent coming on defense.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I get the feeling the man has a big ego, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he does exactly that. He shouldn’t, but he’s Marc Bergevin.

The guy stunk, maybe the worst GM in Habs history. Houle had an excuse, there was a mandate to cut costs. This idiot was trying to win.

MB in the room, at the rink and out dining in LA with his management probably could give two F’s what Montreal and HuGo have done.

Lying in bed at night though? He’s probably punching air :lol:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Exactly what I have been saying.

Bergevin had all the cap space in the world and a mandate to win, and was basically given a team where he had to add two ingredients to consistently compete for a cup.

And he couldn't do it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Exactly what I have been saying.

Bergevin had all the cap space in the world and a mandate to win, and was basically given a team where he had to add two ingredients to consistently compete for a cup.

And he couldn't do it.

Douglas Murray, David Schlemko, Karl Alzner, Dwight King, Steve Ott, Andreas Martinsen, Brendon Nash, Davis Drewiske, George Parros, Alex Parenteau, Bryan Allen, Devante Smith Pelly, Ben Scrivens, John Scott, Stefan Matteau, Nikita Nesterov, Brandon Davidson, Ales Hemsky, Alexander Semin...

A veritable who's who of who gives a f**k!

Prime Carey Price wasted with all of these MB acquisitions. It's real unfortunate Price isn't 25-26-27 now with the way HuGo are putting the roster together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad