Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yep. We were basically paid to take him. That kind of deal makes sense.

Also, I’m glad to see that Harris will get a shot at building his career now. That wouldn’t have happened here.

Hugo has basically done everything I’ve wanted him to do so far. Dealt away vets, stockpiled picks, weaponized cap space, improved development. What’s not to like?
Which in normal circumstances, would give me pause…but there’s really no downside to this other than him not working out and it being a strain on Molson’s pockets, which isn’t my/our problem.

After what seems like decades of never being the team where all of the stars aligned for something to happen…

We’re getting back to back jacks with Demidov landing at #5 and now Laine essentially being given to us for free.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Ok. Now lets get someone who plays tough, physical, punishing hockey and LESSGOOOOO!!!!!!
I am ready for da playoffs!

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
This trade is unbelievable value. The way I see it, they were the only team willing to take a chance on Laine that had no problem fitting him under the cap for the next 2 years. I feel the planets were aligned, so to speak. Very much a now or never with this type of player, so I love to see Hughes jump at the opportunity.

The fact that he came with a 2nd round pick for a player who was going to be in a dog fight to get NHL time this year with Guhle, Hutson, Matheson and Xhekaj all clearly ahead of him on the depth chart at LD is just insane. This trade is pure found money.

I've still got a Jets jersey with Laine's name on from a game I went to in Winnipeg in 2017. Time to staple a Habs logo on it. He just better not wear #92. That's bad juju.

Last edited:

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Take writings like this with a grain of salt. He had one incident in Finland when he was 16 or 17, there's nothing pointing to him having been "every coaches nightmare". He has a lot of Finnish haters who'll just make stuff like this up. 90% of the negative stuff you'll read is conjecture, these people's own headcanon or at the very least silly hyperboles.

"Wanting to only play powerplays in Winnipeg". - Come on guys, you cannot take this seriously. Childish bullshit.

Laine's issues of late have been unlucky injuries and getting into his own head too much. He needs an injury free season. I hope he can get back to PPG form which he was in Columbus when healthy.
You have lot of balls to say that almost everything negative written and said about Laine in media is bullshit. Sounds like a blind fanboyism. Laine is now a hab and i naturally hope that he will be again goal scoring machine he once was.

Ps. I dont hate Laine, just his old club Tappara…

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
memix-goosebumps.webp

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Laine put all together for 2 years and re-sign with Habs.

Everyone who wanted Michkov (included me), not fit for him with that top 6:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov.
Caufield - Dach - Laine.

Demidov and Laine in off season, can change everything for the future of forward group.

That's a amazing top 6, if Dach and Laine stay healthy.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
You have lot of balls to say that almost everything negative written and said about Laine in media is bullshit. Sounds like a blind fanboyism. Laine is now a hab and i naturally hope that he will be again goal scoring machine he once was.

Ps. I dont hate Laine, just his old club Tappara…
As far as I can tell, the main issue in Winnipeg was being demoted to the second line. That might be an issue in Montreal as our top-6 will be stacked… And in Columbus, I think the team had an issue with him going into cycles of scoring in droves and then nothing for several games. Some fans associated his ups and downs with his usage of Fortnite.

Reactions: FinnHab

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Probably Andrew Jerkshire. That guy is dense.

RaPhAeL dIaZ iS a ToP 4 dMaN
I disliked Raphael Diaz out of spite just because Therrien was playing him over Subban after he came back after holding out, so I was looking for things to dislike about him and found plenty. I never liked his game, even when people were pumping his tires hard.

He was softer than Marner out there.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You have lot of balls to say that almost everything negative written and said about Laine in media is bullshit. Sounds like a blind fanboyism.
I'm not a fanboy. Give legitimate criticism about his on-ice performance instead of made up garbage about how he's every coaches nightmare, plays fortnite 24/7, locker room cancer, lazy, doesn't work out and lord knows what else I've had to read over the years & I'll probably agree with you. I won't agree with what's almost certainly pure conjecture with no evidence.

Some fans associated his ups and downs with his usage of Fortnite.
Like right here, holy crap. The guy was known to play fortnite when he was in Winnipeg (most young players play games) and you still see this nonsense around. Makes me wanna pluck my hair out.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
If Laine put all together for 2 years and re-sign with Habs.

Everyone who wanted Michkov (included me), not fit for him with that top 6:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov.
Caufield - Dach - Laine.

Demidov and Laine in off season, can change everything for the future of forward group.

That's a amazing top 6, if Dach and Laine stay healthy.
I imagine that Caufield and Laine would rarely play on the same line at 5v5.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Lots of chatter about no downsides but I have 2 possible risks:
- him not buying into the team first mentality and possibly souring the culture our young players have created
- his defensive incapability's hanging our young D out to dry

Maybe those things are minor or may not even happen, but I still think they're possible downsides. And I realize those things do not even closely outweigh the possible positives, so Im ok with the trade.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I've said it on this board before and I'll say it again today, I'm still not used to having a GM who's not only competent but is amazing at his job.

If you told me we could get a 2nd alone for Harris I'd be happy, a former 2nd overall, 40+ goal scoring, 6'5 winger as well? Just ridiculous.

I have a bit of hesitation about his mental and physical health, but I think MSL and the new regime as a whole will be good for the former, and better luck will be good for the latter.

Once Demidov comes over our top 6 will be the best we've had since the early 90s (it's probably already there IMO), when many posters here weren't even alive and my earliest memories were being formed. And our defence is going to be tremendous...if Fowler pans out, look out.

Good times ahead!

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I'm not a fanboy. Give legitimate criticism about his on-ice performance instead of made up garbage about how he's every coaches nightmare, plays fortnite 24/7, locker room cancer, lazy, doesn't work out and lord knows what else I've had to read over the years & I'll probably agree with you. I won't agree with what's almost certainly pure conjecture with no evidence.
We need to expect that he’ll be enigmatic and will go into slumps like other goal scorers. I heard he might have conflicts with other guys. That might or not be true. He had friends like Ehlers and he was a fan favorite for his sense of humor. But he’s not the only player that specifically had problem in that Winnipeg dressing room.

As for Columbus the whole place seems a mess. He’ll be a second tier guy in the dressing room in Montreal as there’s lots of strong team-first personalities already.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I mean Wheeler didn't have such a great reputation as a leader in WPG.

I'm not sure it's a reputation thing. Wheeler has a North American leadership approach: "Pull up or shut up.". I suspect Boone Jenner is a bit similar. That doesn't work very well with someone from a Nordic nation who struggles mentally. I suspect Suzuki will be a much better leader for Laine, and it will be the first "brainy" captain in his career. Slafkovski can also help insulate Laine (and vice-versa) as they have a bit of the same game.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovski
Laine - Dach - Armia
Roy - Newhook - Dvo
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson

Next year
Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovski
Caufield - Dach - Laine
Roy - Newhook - Beck
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Lots of chatter about no downsides but I have 2 possible risks:
- him not buying into the team first mentality and possibly souring the culture our young players have created
- his defensive incapability's hanging our young D out to dry

Maybe those things are minor or may not even happen, but I still think they're possible downsides. And I realize those things do not even closely outweigh the possible positives, so Im ok with the trade.

Like someone said in an other post, if one player damage your team culture, it’s because it was already not strong.

Reactions: junyab

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
possible future top 9 / top 4 lineup by draft position.
Crazy that there’s so many 1st rounders! Only Beck slightly outside.

1 - 13 - 5
15 - 3 - 2
16 - 33 - 21

16 - 5
23 - 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad