Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Honestly didn’t seem overtly intentional. Probably should have been a 2 minute penalty. A little more alarmed by Xhekaj’s understandable if unhinged response
I have to agree here - it appears to be no intent - nothing really stands out other than he was standing still and Laine collided with him and took the brunt of the hit…Really bad luck.

Reactions: Helistin

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Au secours! This is worse than the Pacioretty hit. Arrest Jerkoff!
The beating from Xhekaj is all on Pare.

You can’t injure a star player, and not expect somebody to come calling. He’s 6’4, 215 lbs. Don’t pretend you didn’t see him and then lay down on the ice. Defend yourself.

That being said, I don’t think he hurt Laine intentionally. I think he’s a borderline guy that was focused on the play, trying to make/impress the team, realized he was out of position/beaten and stuck the knee out in a reactionary way. Terrible blow to Laine and the Habs but not a play meant to be malicious. Still a penalty should have been called.

And Xhekaj did the right thing for the Habs. The only issue I have is with Pare trying to lay down and avoid the challenge. That’s gutless. You can tell the other Leafs and officials thought so too, they were in no hurry to get in there and save him.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
The only difference was the outcome. What if Pare didn't get up after the assault?
No. Bertuzzi put his weight on Moore's neck. Xhekaj did no such thing. And assult? Give me a fornicating break lol.

Bertuzzi probably never intended to hurt Moore the way he did—but he landed his punch and that led to Moore slamming into the ice.
Bertuzzi put his weight on Moore's neck. Xhekaj was standing up.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Yep. Xhekaj was extremely quiet in the regular season against the Sens too. He's always tough in pre-season when he's playing against kids and rookies, but disappears in the regular season when he's playing against men.

Wut? That's not even all of his fights last year...

Attachments

• Screenshot(107).png
    Screenshot(107).png
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: MoneyManny

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
are you trying to say Laine isn't a notable NHLer?

Apologies - I meant to say 'being talked about negatively' which was suppose to be a reference to Wifi and the guy who's knee injured Laine. I read what I wrote and I forgot to write the negatively part. I edited my comment to reflect that now.

Laine is most certainly a notable player. Sucks that this happened.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
X is a goon. He won’t be running around when Montreal plays Toronto with Reaves on the ice. This is exactly why Toronto went out and got Ryan Reaves, Smart move.

The hit did not look like an intentional hit at all. Hopefully Laine is OK, as he is an elite goal scorer when he is playing his game.
The Sherrif wrecked Reeves last year if Im not mistaken.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Not much choice, he was being boxed in by two Leaf players.

While I don't think it was an intentional knee, it was a poor move (and not just because of the outcome). Dude really wasn't using his brain well on that play at all. A pro player should know better and have better positioning.
It’s hockey…A fast paced sport…A sport which encourages body contact…Sometimes chit happens…If the Maple Leaf were Nylander - would anyone claim there was an intent to injure , or chalk it up to bad luck and get well soon?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I just hope this unfortunate incident doesn't jeopardize the good relationship that the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens have with each other.
While I feel it was unintentional - these sorts of events brew hostility… Not gonna lie - some of the most entertaining hockey spawns from incidents like this.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Zero question he lunges

guess it’s hilarious that most of the excuses for Pare is that he’s too shitty of a hockey player to have made a non-douche bag play and that 31 teams would love to have Arber on their team
He doesn't lunge.

Yup, Pare is on an AHL contract while Arber is an NHL player.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Wasn't a very malicious knee but he definitely moved his leg towards Laine in an attempt to take the body because he thought he was about to get beat to the inside.

Ryan O'Byrne

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario
I also didn’t like that he was (smirking )when saying I didn’t mean to injure him. I hope he’s ok (smirk) then didn’t think getting beat up was as funny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad