Alright, I'll be the one to ask. Why do we hate PLD and Jeff Carter but Laine gets a pass?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Mods if you feel this should be in another thread please merge, but I think there's an interesting conversation here.

After getting blasted to hell on Reddit for not crying my eyes out about Laine tonight, I finally have to ask. What's the deal here? I feel for Laine. I feel for his mental health. At the end of the day, just another dude who quit on Columbus. I understand he didn't just quit on the ice the way PLD did, but I'm not so sure he gave it 100% all the time either.

I'm pulling for Laine the man, absolutely. I'm gutted for him getting hurt the way he did. Im just not understanding the outpouring of love for just the next guy who forced their way off our team.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Two significant reasons in my view:

PLD and Carter didn't have a large following, fans who always found ways to defend and see their hero in a good light. I think the masses were affected by that and thus the general impression of the guy was more positive.

Laine's trade request was mainly attributed to some more or less vague mental health problems whereas with PLD and Carter health issues never came up publicly, so their reasons to leave CBJ were perceived "less acceptable".

Edit: and thirdly, Laine never quit on the team while playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad