Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Lol, Laine needs to learn to protest himself. Jump out the way of that hit or dump it in earlier and go get it instead of stick landing betweeen 2 guys with a super wide base. No wonder he's had injury issues his whole career.

That’s on him.
both players need to learn.

Pare needs to learn to avoid situations in which he can hurt people, and Laine needs to learn to not be so casual trying to split two guys in such a wide stance. Pare stepped up into it, hes as much to blame as Laine is.

What was embarrassing was Pare not defending himself when getting pummelled. Maybe he felt guilty. Not something an NHLer does. Send the scrub back to the AHL.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
It's a flukey injury, I give it that. The response Pare gave was cowardly. You know if something like that happens in your opponents home that someone's knocking on your door. If you're trying to make it into the league, the worst thing you can do is turtle. You fight back. Hell, you might even win and look at what that does for you back in Toronto.

Make a name for yourself and the dignity of the sweater you got on and stand your ground.

And FWIW what WiFi did was absolutely deliberate, made moreso apparent because he kept his gloves on. He wasn't out to hurt Pare, he was out to send a message. Pare should have dropped gloves and fought him.
yup, not answering the bell is a bad look

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
It's a flukey injury, I give it that. The response Pare gave was cowardly. You know if something like that happens in your opponents home that someone's knocking on your door. If you're trying to make it into the league, the worst thing you can do is turtle. You fight back. Hell, you might even win and look at what that does for you back in Toronto.

Make a name for yourself and the dignity of the sweater you got on and stand your ground.
Pare was never going to make the Leafs roster and if turtling like that gets Xhekaj a long suspension into the regular season (which it should) then that's more than he ever would have contributed as a player.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
100% correct. Look, we can all say from the sidelines that what Xhekaj did was awful and could have had horrendous consequences. He deserves to be suspended for it. But if you're an AHL plug throwing cheap shots at NHL stars (yes I know Laine has struggled but still), and then refuse to fight as other teams want retribution, you deserve what is coming. If you don't have respect for the game, don't step on the ice.

The hit was already dirty as shit, but Pare trying to weasel out of the fight and forcing Xhekaj to do this makes me hate Pare even more. Man up and face the consequences of your action, if you can't do that, get the hell of the ice.

100% correct. Look, we can all say from the sidelines that what Bertuzzi did was awful and could have had horrendous consequences. He deserves to be suspended for it. But if you're an AHL plug throwing cheap shots at NHL stars (Naslund), and then refuse to fight as other teams want retribution, you deserve what is coming. If you don't have respect for the game, don't step on the ice.

The hit was already dirty as shit, but Moore trying to weasel out of the fight and forcing Bertuzzi to do this makes me hate Moore even more. Man up and face the consequences of your action, if you can't do that, get the hell of the ice.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Lol, Laine needs to learn to protest himself. Jump out the way of that hit or dump it in earlier and go get it instead of stick landing betweeen 2 guys with a super wide base. No wonder he's had injury issues his whole career.

That’s on him.
Laine was clearing by Pare, that's why Pare had to use his knee to stop him. Pare was caught drifting the other way and lost body position. It's pretty clear what happened.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
i dont wanna go through 13 pages, is Laine ok?
Judge for yourself
1727572617404.png

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Pare was never going to make the Leafs roster and if turtling like that gets Xhekaj a long suspension into the regular season (which it should) then that's more than he ever would have contributed as a player.
Pare gets to live with turtling like a coward, wearing a Leafs sweater, which will last longer than any suspension Xhekaj gets.

Reactions: CapSpace

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
100% correct. Look, we can all say from the sidelines that what Bertuzzi did was awful and could have had horrendous consequences. He deserves to be suspended for it. But if you're an AHL plug throwing cheap shots at NHL stars (Naslund), and then refuse to fight as other teams want retribution, you deserve what is coming. If you don't have respect for the game, don't step on the ice.

The hit was already dirty as shit, but Moore trying to weasel out of the fight and forcing Bertuzzi to do this makes me hate Moore even more. Man up and face the consequences of your action, if you can't do that, get the hell of the ice.

Subbing in the Bertuzzi/Moore situation doesn't at all change my mind at all with that. And frankly you can easily argue that statement is just as applicable to Moore as it was to Pare here.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I don't want to go off on an unrelated tangent. Both Edmonton and Toronto have multiple other star players and good foundations and would likely still be top 8 teams in their conferences.

The main point is comparing the loss of Laine to the loss of McDavid/Matthews is patently absurd. And if having Laine is the only chance of competing, your team is not going to be competing.
especially since he's played 82 games twice in his career and almost 7 years ago and regularly misses between 30-40 games a year

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Laine was clearing by Pare, that's why Pare had to use his knee to stop him. Pare was caught drifting the other way and lost body position. It's pretty clear what happened.

Pare stepped up, that's it, he doesn't lead with the knee. Laine needs to protect his own ass there. Instead he has his head down and makes a superwide base trying to stickhandle between two guys at the blueline.

It's why he's had injury issues and consistentecy issues his whole career.

I feel bad for him personally but idk if it's the leaf factor as to why people can't see the situation objectively, Laine just makes bad decisions too often.

Reactions: Strangle

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
both players need to learn.

Pare needs to learn to avoid situations in which he can hurt people, and Laine needs to learn to not be so casual trying to split two guys in such a wide stance. Pare stepped up into it, hes as much to blame as Laine is.

What was embarrassing was Pare not defending himself when getting pummelled. Maybe he felt guilty. Not something an NHLer does. Send the scrub back to the AHL.
Soon enough

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad