Confirmed with Link: Patrick Kane signs one year extension (4M base, up to 6.5M with bonuses)

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Before he joined the team the posters on this board were discussing whether we can get 3rd spot in our division. Our record without him was well above. 500, with him under .500.
He was completely no show vs good teams.

This discussion stops here. This is a bad deal. Come February the whole board will be saying it.
He'll start off hot, cool down after 20 games and completely disappear after 40.
No show? He literally had OT clutch goals - including against the Avs.

You also said ADB was the worst Wings player last season; which is a joke. So it’s kind of difficult to take your posts seriously.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
No show? He literally had OT clutch goals - including against the Avs.

You also said ADB was the worst Wings player last season; which is a joke. So it’s kind of difficult to take your posts seriously.
Who said you should take my posts seriously? 90% of the posters love the deal. Enjoy.
I say it's a bad deal and by the end of the season 70% of the board will realise and admit it is a bad deal, 30% will use strawman arguments to justify their bad evaluation.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Its a fine deal. I was ok with him not coming back if we replaced him with a bit more physical top 6 compliment, but I have not issue with him being back. I wasn't sure he'd want to be back. He didn't seem 100% engaged the last 10 games or so but I wasn't for sure if that might be the hip acting up or him not being engaged. It seems it was probably injury related as he returned.

As for our record with and without him, there were more than just Kane factors in that record. Larkin being out was the main reason for the losing streaks. Larkin is the only true line driver on this team. Ray really started to take that next step at the end of the season, but he isn't consistent yet.

Forcing the DBC/Kane experiment was also messy. Kane spends 90% of his time 5 on 5 trying to setup DBC and that made it incredibly predictable. I don't want to see them together again unless its on the PP, maybe if they also play with Larkin. Compher was basically ignored, and he isn't really good enough defensively to make up for how weak DBC/Kane are in that regard. DBC's overall offensive game was way better without Kane. His shot was off most of the year, but at least he contributed from a playmaking standpoint when he was with Larks and Ray.

Depending on what Ras we get this year, I would really consider putting him with Kane and Tank. If he gets a good offseason in and his skating looks more like it did two seasons ago, I might try the Ras at center experiment again.

Reactions: Ulysses31 and Slim

Slim

Nov 2, 2014
Up north
Who said you should take my posts seriously? 90% of the posters love the deal. Enjoy.
I say it's a bad deal and by the end of the season 70% of the board will realise and admit it is a bad deal, 30% will use strawman arguments to justify their bad evaluation.

I was very torn when he signed last year, as I imagine some others here were as well. With the history between clubs, my impression of his character (although it was a while ago he did his faux pas) and the fact that I have a tendency to lean towards defensive structured teams and 200ft players, when it comes to cup winning. With that said, I had to admit after 10 or so games, that he was pretty good, especially with all the serious question marks that came with his type of surgery. How he performed in his 50 games last season surprised me.

I am ok with weird takes, who is not and staying on HFboards? But, you still have not in a logical sense explained why you have come to the conclusion that he would be worse this coming season than last, well except that we had a lower win% with him in the line up. That argument is extremely flawed in my opinion and should be flawed in everybodys opinion, including your. As we all know there are myriads of factors that affect every game and to view it as you do, or at least seem to do, is to in a fabulously, erratic way simplyfy the question.

I personally believe that he most likely will improve this season. There are quite a few reasons to why I believe that and here are a some of them:

- First and foremost, I think he is in a lot better shape, both physically and mentally.
To go through what he did with the surgery took a heavy toll on his body and shape. Most of us know what the expectations after such a surgey were and it has been discussed in tedium on these boards how amazing and odds defying his recovery has been. I am not talking about that. I am talking about what such an injury/operation/rehab does to you physically, and the fact that he played a few years in quite intense pain and with restricted movement before the operation. He has now played 50 games, he will have a summer of training and conditioning. He will most likely be in the best shape he has been the last five years when this coming season starts.

Mentally, what such an injury and uncertain operation does to a proffesional athlete, I can only imagine. I am fairly sure that even in mid march, he was still bracing himself everytime he got hit, at least in the back of his mind, and he was probably even more hesitant to take the hit and make the play than usually. I think those thoughts will either have disappeared or at least be further back in his mind now. Also imagine how the uncertainty with the operation and therefore career, must have affected his personal life. How the moves from CHI to NYR, then TOR for rehab and skating and finally to Detroit must have affected the familys daily life. That will be further removed now.

- He will know the system, his team-mates, the organisation now.
He will be able to prepare his off-season regiment to fit and adjust to known factors.

- I know not all may agree with this, but I think we have a much more cohesive team this year. Not only that I feel the team is really knitting together in a way we have not seen in a long time, but also that we have a better structured team on all levels next season, it starts to make sense. I also believe that the players feel the same thing, at least that is my impression from the interviews I have seen. This will most likely also show in his point production.

- I think he is genuinly hungrier this year. Last season was a season of "will it work?". This season he knows it works, so now he is not in career-survival mode. He will be looking to reassert himself. I also have the impression that not only him, but most of last years returning squad will have a chip on his/their shoulders with how the season ended.

- I think he wants to play for Detroit and I think he would have signed for longer if not for the over 35 year thing and that these type of contracts help both him and also the club regarding the cap.

So, in my book, a lot more suggests he will be a better player than last year.

This became far too long, sorry. But it is vacation and very warm, my plan to counter the heat with a healthy intake of cold beverages has clearly backfired.

Reactions: Bob Roberts

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
My semi bold prediction, we make the playoffs this year and Kane retires a Red Wing. We get over the hump he's part of the solution, he won't want to leave and uproot his family again.

He said nothing but good things about the city of Detroit, the way the franchise is run, the facilities and stated how it was tough on his family to have 18 months of moving, surgery, again moving, etc.

Reactions: Henkka and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My semi bold prediction, we make the playoffs this year and Kane retires a Red Wing. We get over the hump he's part of the solution, he won't want to leave and uproot his family again.

He said nothing but good things about the city of Detroit, the way the franchise is run, the facilities and stated how it was tough on his family to have 18 months of moving, surgery, again moving, etc.

After resigning here I think he's sticking it out, too. The only way he doesn't is if his play slips and someone else is willing to offer way more than Yzerman will. Like Ottawa and Perron.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Something tells me Kane became a Wings fan during his youth time in Michigan.

Probably why he was so angry and had maturity issues when he was first a Blackhawk. Probably hated himself. I feel for him. Just goes to show it is never too late to chose the right path.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I was very torn when he signed last year, as I imagine some others here were as well. With the history between clubs, my impression of his character (although it was a while ago he did his faux pas) and the fact that I have a tendency to lean towards defensive structured teams and 200ft players, when it comes to cup winning. With that said, I had to admit after 10 or so games, that he was pretty good, especially with all the serious question marks that came with his type of surgery. How he performed in his 50 games last season surprised me.

I am ok with weird takes, who is not and staying on HFboards? But, you still have not in a logical sense explained why you have come to the conclusion that he would be worse this coming season than last, well except that we had a lower win% with him in the line up. That argument is extremely flawed in my opinion and should be flawed in everybodys opinion, including your. As we all know there are myriads of factors that affect every game and to view it as you do, or at least seem to do, is to in a fabulously, erratic way simplyfy the question.

I personally believe that he most likely will improve this season. There are quite a few reasons to why I believe that and here are a some of them:

- First and foremost, I think he is in a lot better shape, both physically and mentally.
To go through what he did with the surgery took a heavy toll on his body and shape. Most of us know what the expectations after such a surgey were and it has been discussed in tedium on these boards how amazing and odds defying his recovery has been. I am not talking about that. I am talking about what such an injury/operation/rehab does to you physically, and the fact that he played a few years in quite intense pain and with restricted movement before the operation. He has now played 50 games, he will have a summer of training and conditioning. He will most likely be in the best shape he has been the last five years when this coming season starts.

Mentally, what such an injury and uncertain operation does to a proffesional athlete, I can only imagine. I am fairly sure that even in mid march, he was still bracing himself everytime he got hit, at least in the back of his mind, and he was probably even more hesitant to take the hit and make the play than usually. I think those thoughts will either have disappeared or at least be further back in his mind now. Also imagine how the uncertainty with the operation and therefore career, must have affected his personal life. How the moves from CHI to NYR, then TOR for rehab and skating and finally to Detroit must have affected the familys daily life. That will be further removed now.

- He will know the system, his team-mates, the organisation now.
He will be able to prepare his off-season regiment to fit and adjust to known factors.

- I know not all may agree with this, but I think we have a much more cohesive team this year. Not only that I feel the team is really knitting together in a way we have not seen in a long time, but also that we have a better structured team on all levels next season, it starts to make sense. I also believe that the players feel the same thing, at least that is my impression from the interviews I have seen. This will most likely also show in his point production.

- I think he is genuinly hungrier this year. Last season was a season of "will it work?". This season he knows it works, so now he is not in career-survival mode. He will be looking to reassert himself. I also have the impression that not only him, but most of last years returning squad will have a chip on his/their shoulders with how the season ended.

- I think he wants to play for Detroit and I think he would have signed for longer if not for the over 35 year thing and that these type of contracts help both him and also the club regarding the cap.

So, in my book, a lot more suggests he will be a better player than last year.

This became far too long, sorry. But it is vacation and very warm, my plan to counter the heat with a healthy intake of cold beverages has clearly backfired.
I never read long posts. So no I won't read your post.
In October and November he will look good.
In February the wheels will fall off and he will terrible and 70% of the board will admit it.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

I never participated in those Hossa vs Franzen discussions, nor did I read them.
I learnt when people were fighting about Kuznetsov and Wallin it was a wasted time.

Ad

Ad

Ad