Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm picking the Oilers to win the series but the caveat is the same as the last 2 series.

You can't let Skinner face too many "A" quality shots so the defense has to be tight and relatively error free. The 3 day turnaround and a fading flu bug should help the skating legs to help facilitate this. The team looked very tired in game 5 of the last matchup.

Throw in some secondary scoring and the Oilers will have an excellent chance of winning and moving on to the final.

Oilers in 6.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Correct, but they would if the margins were higher like they were in 2022 when ticket holders were on a re-sale bonanza as a result of being able to buy additional packages for the entire playoffs at a depressed price. A massive resale market is what caused the massive price bump for ticket holders comparing 2022 to now.

I'm asking for lighter pricing for STH's that have no intention of re-selling so they can pay less because they're not going to profit off of it. In the end this pricing model is going to burn the Oilers because by making STH's basically pay market rate for playoff tickets they are taking away one of the few incentives remaining for owning season tickets - guaranteed availability at pricing far below resale.

I’m a STH and don’t pay anywhere near these prices. Thats the benefit of being a STH. Lower prices and guaranteed access.

They are still stupid expensive but welcome to the world of dynamic algorithmic pricing. Hotel rooms, flights, concert tickets etc all run off this model.

Also there’s no way to determine if a STH has intention to resell or not. Locking in a STH on never selling through a pricing model doesn’t really work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pro sports in general has become inaccessible to a lot of people since those days you speak of.

When I was on a tour of Soldier Field a few years ago I was told that a number of tickets for the Bears routinely sell for $900 (USA dollars, not the Northern Peso). And of course they are such an exciting team to watch.

Its a corporate game and that's why the Jets have suffered a bit at the gate. Corporate sponsorship of the seats is more limited than what you get in Edmonton and Calgary.
The bolded is a very good point and the newer arenas are built in a way that maximizes corporate support. It makes some sense then that would tend to drive up pricing overall.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I don't think these two players should ever be compared. Foegele should be producing, and when he isn't, he's a below average winger. McLeod is playing some heavy minutes and has a lot more responsibilities while on the ice

If McLeod can keep up this shot suppression I don't care if he scores again lol

Foegele can gtfo imo
Not a comparison. Showing their offensive output during a stretch and that they're capable of more. Although I didn't realize they were playing with Drai at the time, if they do the right things offensively, they can contribute. Was never a fan of Foegle. I do like McLeod and want to see him successful. That's why I'm hard on him. I'm sure he appreciates it..lol

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The bolded is a very good point and the newer arenas are built in a way that maximizes corporate support. It makes some sense then that would tend to drive up pricing overall.
Interesting world today-- a lot of people are willing to spend huge bucks on live experiences and exclusive gigs. "Exclusivity' is something that people crave.

Who would have thought (as recently as a decade ago) that Taylor Swift tickets would go for 10k a pop?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This should be a hella series. Oil special teams have been a massive weapon. They have two super elites who cook in the playoffs. Getting solid EV scoring even with a pathetic flaccid Line 3. All will come down to the battle between the pipes imo.

Oettinger has 10 games of .900 SV% (76.9%) against better teams and scoring. Skinner is at 3 (30%) and pulled for two starts. I don't want to see or hear Skinner doing any more interviews until he can step up to be a positive factor in money time.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This should be a hella series. Oil special teams have been a massive weapon. They have two super elites who cook in the playoffs. Getting solid EV scoring even with a pathetic flaccid Line 3. All will come down to the battle between the pipes imo.

Oettinger has 10 games of .900 SV% (76.9%) against better teams and scoring. Skinner is at 3 (30%) and pulled for two starts. I don't want to see or hear Skinner doing any more interviews until he can step up to be a positive factor in money time.
Henrique should help that 3rd line.
For me the Oilers dont even have to outscore Dallas at 5x5 by a large margin. Just stay even with Dallas at 5x5 and I think that the PP can generate more against Dallas than they did against Van.
Rupe Hinz not being in the Dallas lineup is a big deal. He is a hell of a player.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
The greatest victory is that which requires no battle. If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him.

The Oilers winning this series is not impossible

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Sadly I don't think anyone has a say in the matter anymore. I think the NHL is in charge of all media going forward, and if the vultures ask for him, the NHL is going to serve him up.

IMO the fate of the Oilers in this series comes down to the performance of 4 players that individually have a game that can range from impactful and important to a complete joke that can blow games entirely on their own - Nurse, McLeod, Foegele and Skinner. You know what you're going to get good or bad from almost everyone else on the roster, it's these 4 guys that will either make you or break you, and generally you have no idea which version of them will show up on a given night.

If we even just get average, middle of the road, "not going to hurt you" level of play from these 4 guys on average we win the series.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
They don't have any real discernable weaknesses except one which is kind of a big one. I know that Wyatt Johnson is sort of assuming that role (thanks Tyler Wright) but they have no elite game breakers, nobody with true takeover ability up front which the Oilers do have on two different lines so that could be the equalizer.

Dallas is sort of like Carolina with better goaltending. Really good well rounded team, but they don't have the true gamebreaker up front.
If the Oilers get the normal McDavid, not the one we saw in the Vancouver series, this series is more of a toss up than a lot of people might be comfortable admitting. If they get pedestrian McDavid then they are very well cooked. The Oilers need their advantage to be a real advantage in this series which is McDavid and Draisaitl.
My worry is that with McDavid's injury we won't get normal Mcdavid. He hasn't shot the puck in how long?

Henrique should help that 3rd line.
For me the Oilers dont even have to outscore Dallas at 5x5 by a large margin. Just stay even with Dallas at 5x5 and I think that the PP can generate more against Dallas than they did against Van.
Rupe Hinz not being in the Dallas lineup is a big deal. He is a hell of a player.
What is the status on Henrique?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Sadly I don't think anyone has a say in the matter anymore. I think the NHL is in charge of all media going forward, and if the vultures ask for him, the NHL is going to serve him up.

IMO the fate of the Oilers in this series comes down to the performance of 4 players that individually have a game that can range from impactful and important to a complete joke that can blow games entirely on their own - Nurse, McLeod, Foegele and Skinner. You know what you're going to get good or bad from almost everyone else on the roster, it's these 4 guys that will either make you or break you, and generally you have no idea which version of them will show up on a given night.

If we even just get average, middle of the road, "not going to hurt you" level of play from these 4 guys on average we win the series.
Yup, I know this is now NHL driven. Was being a bit facetious but I'm starting to get cringed by Skinner seemingly trying to talk his way into belief. Can't afford any passengers at the stage but most especially can't be a team's goaltender. I think Nurse and McLeod will be ... ok ... because they both PK on a unit that's been critical to winning. Foegele unfortunately has disappeared into the puck masher version.

Reactions: K1984

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Interesting point.
Hopefully one or both of McDavid and Draisaitl can take over some games in this series.
My concern is how Dallas likes to clog up the middle of the ice. They did that agianst Colorado and it was very effective.
McKinnon (another game breaker) couldnt get much of anything going in that series.
I am curious to see what Knoblauch puts together to counteract Dallas' strengths one of which is their defensive system.
I think the Oilers need to puck carry a lot through the neutral zone as opposed to a lot of stretch passes because Dallas is arguably the best counter-attack team in the league.

I actually think this series will be more wide open than the previous two, Dallas likes to play a high tempo skill game so in a way I think this might be a better matchup for the Oilers than the previous two from a style standpoint in terms of the offense that the Oilers can create. It'll be a lot more taxing on the Oiler Dmen though, the Stars have a lot more skill up and down the lineup than any the Oilers have faced thus far.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the Oilers need to puck carry a lot through the neutral zone as opposed to a lot of stretch passes because Dallas is arguably the best counter-attack team in the league.

I actually think this series will be more wide open than the previous two, Dallas likes to play a high tempo skill game so in a way I think this might be a better matchup for the Oilers than the previous two from a style standpoint in terms of the offense that the Oilers can create. It'll be a lot more taxing on the Oiler Dmen though, the Stars have a lot more skill up and down the lineup than any the Oilers have faced thus far.
I hope that you are right and it is a more open series.
It would sure be more enjoyable to watch although the concern then becomes goaltending and I dont care who the Oilers put in net it wont be better than Oettinger.
I think a defensive type game serves the Oilers better and I believe that Knoblauch and company can find a solution to what Dallas has done so far.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Interesting world today-- a lot of people are willing to spend huge bucks on live experiences and exclusive gigs. "Exclusivity' is something that people crave.

Who would have thought (as recently as a decade ago) that Taylor Swift tickets would go for 10k a pop?
Doesn't make any sense to me.

Biggest news this month is a buncha people picketing and boycotting Loblaws stores because of prices, you know, for food. and the same people would spend thousands for a Taylor Swift ticket.

Food hasn't really gone up that much. Pretty much just with inflation and cost of living increases. Other things have gone up beyond the pale.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Watching Panthers-Rangers last night, although most think these teams are even, makes me think we need to throw out all of our predictions. Mind you the Oilers at times can be dominant or they crap the bed, I'll be neutral but I am still sticking with the Oilers in 7....

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Doesn't make any sense to me.

Biggest news this month is a buncha people picketing and boycotting Loblaws stores because of prices, you know, for food. and the same people would spend thousands for a Taylor Swift ticket.

Food hasn't really gone up that much. Pretty much just with inflation and cost of living increases. Other things have gone up beyond the pale.

What wrong with Taylor?
Pretty sure she rooting for teams like the Jets and the Oilers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad