Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins?

• Total voters

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I've watched all of their games this post season and didn't really notice anything too drastic, way less than the Cucks anyhow. They don't take a ton of penalties, pretty disciplined team. Or they get favorable reffing. ;)
Im just rewatching game 1 period 1 now. So maybe my perception is skewed by a small sample. But seen Robertson get highsticked in the visor then dive to the ground extending the knees doing a full snowman for maximum embelishment. Then a weak fall off a slight trip. 3 PPs awarded to Stars this period, probably all legit calls but there’s definately some embellishment there.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Im just rewatching game 1 period 1 now. So maybe my perception is skewed by a small sample. But seen Robertson get highsticked in the visor then dive to the ground extending the knees doing a full snowman for maximum embelishment. Then a weak fall off a slight trip. 3 PPs awarded to Stars this period, probably all legit calls but there’s definately some embellishment there.
Maybe I didn't notice as much as I wanted them to win their first two series. ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe I didn't notice as much as I wanted them to win their first two series. ;)
Nah you’re probably right. In my live viewings I didnt notice much either. Overall impression of Stars is that they are a mature and mostly honorable team.

Edit: watching 3 period now, stars got called for embellishment. Maybe that got the Stars to fly straight and narrow the rest of the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Looked up Mcleod and Foegle's offensive output during the Oil's 16 game regular season winning streak.

Mcleod 16GP 7 goals 5 assists = 12 pts ( 5 goals and 3 assists in the first 5gp of that streak)

What did he do differently to get that output ? Stood his a** in front of the net and started scoring. He did that for a very short stretch but was very effective.

TIme to stop being a timid perimeter player and back to the front of the net. His season total was
12 goals and 18 assists. So that period was his most productive.

Foegle 16gp 6 goals 9 assists = 15 points during the same streak. Season total 20g 20 A

I believe they played on the same line at the time. The point is we can get a lot more from these players if they're willing to sacrifice.

Reactions: MoontoScott

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I still remember Tkachuk just clowning and assaulting Klingberg all series with no response from the low passion, low intensity Stars.

Stars are counting on Heiskanen to shut down McDrai. We need to be all over him. Needs to be a personal project of Kane.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Looked up Mcleod and Foegle's offensive output during the Oil's 16 game regular season winning streak.

Mcleod 16GP 7 goals 5 assists = 12 pts ( 5 goals and 3 assists in the first 5gp of that streak)

What did he do differently to get that output ? Stood his a** in front of the net and started scoring. He did that for a very short stretch but was very effective.

TIme to stop being a timid perimeter player and back to the front of the net. His season total was

Foegle 16gp 6 goals 9 assists = 15 points during the same streak. Season total 20g 20 A

I believe they played on the same line at the time. The point is we can get a lot more from these players if they're willing to sacrifice.

I don't think these two players should ever be compared. Foegele should be producing, and when he isn't, he's a below average winger. McLeod is playing some heavy minutes and has a lot more responsibilities while on the ice

If McLeod can keep up this shot suppression I don't care if he scores again lol

Foegele can gtfo imo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yup sure did, I dreaded that Vancouver series, it felt like such a trap of a series and I just didn’t like the feeling going into it.

I actually feel more optimistic about this series but still think a Dallas is a better bet to win right now. The oilers depth does a good job of suppression, but don’t like their lack of production. The top end of the oilers is superior and gives and edge. The oilers defence can hang in there,but nurse need to be better.

For me I’m concerned about goaltending. Ottenger can win them games and you are just hoping skinner doesn’t lose them a game. This comes from a guy who defends Skinner.

I’m excited for this one though, let’s see where it goes.
Nucks were as bad as I expected them to be. unfortunately Skinner has been the great leveler. He was my only worry and that seems justified.

Dallas certainly represent a threat on another level and I'm uncertain how to feel about it going in with Skinner again and thinking he's probably not going to be good enough.

Further trouble with this series is its important that the goaltending doesn't sink us in Dallas We have to get 1 game minimum there. Dallas get stronger as series progress. I think the Oilers have to get game 1.
We can't trail in games in this series like we did with Vancouver.

Dallas even beat Vegas after losing first two. Dallas have looked hard to kill. Since first two games of playoffs Stars are on a 8-4 run against two of the best clubs in the league.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I still remember Tkachuk just clowning and assaulting Klingberg all series with no response from the low passion, low intensity Stars.

Stars are counting on Heiskanen to shut down McDrai. We need to be all over him. Needs to be a personal project of Kane.
This Stars team isn't much like that one and they haven't been since Deboer got them changed around. Much deeper Stars team now as well. That team that played Calgary was injury impacted as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oilers are
# 1 in PP
# 1 in PK
# 1 in shot suppression
# 2 in goals per game(Avs#1)

The Achilles of the Oilers is Skinner. If he can't even be average, it'll be extremely difficult for the Oilers to win.

Dallas has a brutal PK but thier PP is pretty good. Dallas is also the least penalizing team by far. So Oil might struggle to get calls in thier favor. That means we need to play very disciplined hockey.

All in all, the Oilers do have a good chance of winning so as long as Skinner is up to the task. If he isn't, then we need Knobber to recognize it before it's too late and get Pickard in.
Unfortunately Dallas will be better able to exploit Skinner weakness. They have a lightning fast breakout and are one of the best at developing odd man rushes or 3 pt plays where they manage to work to an open spot. Pin point passing and lots going across. Skinner not well suited for that. Still, Dallas don't have the classic snipers and go cold at times. Should be interesting.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Unfortunately Dallas will be better able to exploit Skinner weakness. They have a lightning fast breakout and are one of the best at developing odd man rushes or 3 pt plays where they manage to work to an open spot. Pin point passing and lots going across. Skinner not well suited for that. Still, Dallas don't have the classic snipers and go cold at times. Should be interesting.

Continuing to play Skinner at this point is such an illogical risk now that we've seen Pickard outplay him that I can't help but wonder if it's a call from higher up... Why do people have so much confidence in someone who has never earned it? His .880 is one of the worst numbers of any goalie that has played that number of games in the playoffs since at least the early 90s...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This Stars team isn't much like that one and they haven't been since Deboer got them changed around. Much deeper Stars team now as well. That team that played Calgary was injury impacted as well.
Sure. But most of the core that would have stepped up for Klingberg are still there. And these new small rookies ain’t changing that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sure. But most of the core that would have stepped up for Klingberg are still there. And these new small rookies ain’t changing that.
The Oilers didn't step up for McDavid. Look, neither of these teams is too likely to take the game and series to the gutter. This will be instead some stellar play. This isn't the nucks who's only hope was injuring our star players. You're getting hyped up to violence that won't necessarily be there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
But then that defeats the argument that it's just "easy".
Not if management was really bad and they couldn’t take advantage of all that.

The Oilers didn't step up for McDavid. Look, neither of these teams is too likely to take the game and series to the gutter. This will be instead some stellar play. This isn't the nucks who's only hope was injuring our star players. You're getting hyped up to violence that won't necessarily be there.
Sure we did. The Hyman cross check to Zs face was stepping up.

I’m not getting that hyped up from it, just one comment about Klinberg and the lack of character shown by the stars 2 years again. That said, I don’t think the low passion stars are violent team either. I don’t think they want this game in the gutter either. I do think we should consider bringing this game into the gutters though if need be.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah but the original argument was to discredit Zito because it's so easy in Florida, when clearly it's not that simple.
Not to discredit. But to not give too much credit. Taxes and Florida is distinct advantage, should be considered.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not if management was really bad and they couldn’t take advantage of all that.

Sure we did. The Hyman cross check to Zs face was stepping up.

I’m not getting that hyped up from it, just one comment about Klinberg and the lack of character shown by the stars 2 years again. That said, I don’t think the low passion stars are violent team either. I don’t think they want this game in the gutter either. I do think we should consider bringing this game into the gutters though if need be.
I don't get your angle. Klingberg was a by then liability D on the Stars who was a sieve who they walked from. He wasn't even an impact player on the Stars and by that time he was shit.

In anycase the Oilers doing next to nothing to make Zadorov and the other scumbag pay for what they did to McD is worse

I just don't get your point Nucks took liberties. Our players let them. neither of these teams is a gutter team.

Lack of character? Yeah I'm not gonna be calling stars names or discrediting them. As many series wins as anybody in last handful of years. They got plenty character.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't get your angle. Klingberg was a by then liability D on the Stars who was a sieve who they walked from. He wasn't even an impact player on the Stars and by that time he was shit.

In anycase the Oilers doing next to nothing to make Zadorov and the other scumbag pay for what they did to McD is worse

I just don't get your point Nucks took liberties. Our players let them. neither of these teams is a gutter team.

Lack of character? Yeah I'm not gonna be calling stars names or discrediting them. As many series wins as anybody in last handful of years. They got plenty character.
I just explained my angle. We should consider the gutters stategy cause we might be able to beat them in the gutters.

Anything that would have constituted appropriate revenge for that McD cross check would have cost us a penalty or more. I’m fine with it cause we beat them where it counts. Stayed mature, stayed disciplined, kept our emotions in check for a pivotal game 6 and 7.

Guess we’ll find out on the character front. For both sides. But I believe we want it more and will show it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I just explained my angle. We should consider the gutters stategy cause we might be able to beat them in the gutters.

Anything that would have constituted appropriate revenge for that McD cross check would have cost us a penalty or more. I’m fine with it cause we beat them where it counts. Stayed mature, stayed disciplined, kept our emotions in check for a pivotal game 6 and 7.

Guess we’ll find out on the character front. For both sides. But I believe we want it more and will show it.
What your saying makes no sense. You're saying on one side we could not have had revenge in Vancouver series for fear of penalties when actually the Nucks were inept on the PP but you're recommending the Oilers take risks in the Dallas series against a skilled team?

What I'll say again is your vision of what the series will be is imaginary. Neither Deboer or KK are those kinds of coaches and they'll be coaching to win not to beat the snot out of each other.

I think you didn't think through that neither team is inclined to play in the gutter.

On the other hand the Nucks were going to try to punk and everybody knew it. Maybe that colored your perception of what will ensue. This is a different series involving two clinical clubs with clinical coaches.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I voted Dallas in 6 but I do believe we have a chance to win this in 7 if things go right.

Pretty sure that stretch was on a line with Drai and they had a few big games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What your saying makes no sense. You're saying on one side we could not have had revenge in Vancouver series for fear of penalties when actually the Nucks were inept on the PP but you're recommending the Oilers take risks in the Dallas series against a skilled team?

What I'll say again is your vision of what the series will be is imaginary. Neither Deboer or KK are those kinds of coaches and they'll be coaching to win not to beat the snot out of each other.

I think you didn't think through that neither team is inclined to play in the gutter.

On the other hand the Nucks were going to try to punk and everybody knew it. Maybe that colored your perception of what will ensue. This is a different series involving two clinical clubs with clinical coaches.
With smarts and control you take your shots. See how they respond. Especially for some of their younger/smaller players. I’d like to see how Heiskanen responds to Kane being in his face all series too.

No I didn’t think it was the right strategy for the Nucks series. When everyone was screaming for revenge after GM5, I did not. The Nucks would gladly take it to the gutters, they could get more shots in on McDrai and have the D to do it. I don’t know if the Stars have that.

I’m not saying the series will be anything. You’re right Knob and Deboer aren’t like Woody, they don’t coach that style. But I would CONSIDER it. But need to see how the series looks and plays out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad