Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I predict Stars in 5...

Now before one of you calls up a hitman to shoot me in my own living room, calm your tits and hear me out.

I know perfectly well that anything is possible when it comes to the playoffs. It won't shock me if we win the series. However, Dallas has better depth, better goaltending, and a considerably better defense. That team is good. Considerably better than Vancouver who just took us to 7 games!

The odds are against us. Hopefully McDavid has recovered well from his sickness because we are really, REALLY going to need him to play well.
i question your considerably better defence claim, heiskanen and lindell are great players, suter is old, tanev is hurt, petrovic sucks. i think our D matches up very well with theirs and they arent overly physical.

also Dallas PK is dogshit...oilers in 6

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Some people talking about Ryan retiring after the season. Has he mentioned anything like this?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Good news on Henrique

Some people talking about Ryan retiring after the season. Has he mentioned anything like this?
No, people get so pointlessly mad at Ryan for not being what they want, ignoring what the player is and does.

Even if he's not playing, where the f*** is Stecher? Lol.

Maybe he has a personal thing? Or he's sick too, which would be most likely to me

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They absolutely do not have considerably better defense. They have the best defenseman in the series, but to be fair, Bouch has been playing at that elite level.

It's funny how everyone is fawning over the vaunted depth of the Stars, but their blue line is being conveniently overlooked.

They're currently basically only playing 5 D-men. One of those D men sucks (Suter) and another is banged up (Tanev). The house of cards could come crumbling down fast if they have any injury at all in their top 4.

On this note, anyone know how bad Hakaanpaa is actually injured?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kane not at practice. He’s probably doing some Dennis Rodman like personal type of preparation for the series. Trip to Vegas? I don’t know. Whatever Kane needs to be ready I don’t care. Just bring it against the stars.

He was a menace in the 91v91 matchup against Z in Game 7. Belted him with a really good check. Then stole the puck off Z for a rush chance on net making Z fall down and look like a clown trying to keep up. He definitely did his job last series making Z his personal project.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Whatever defensive system or tactics Knoblauch plans to use against the Stars, the most important thing is to have our wingers play like Andrew Cogliano every time Johnson or Robertson are on the ice. Relentless checking, tying up sticks, and never losing them in our zone.
Expecting Hyman and Kane ( our foremost net presence) to have big games. Most goals against Oettinger will be scored from a crease mess or rebound…we have to be ready for that.
So looking forward to this series…
The ‘90s Revenge Tour!

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

Good news on Henrique

No, people get so pointlessly mad at Ryan for not being what they want, ignoring what the player is and does.

Maybe he has a personal thing? Or he's sick too, which would be most likely to me

They are still here?? I would have assumed they went to straight to Dallas. They probably leave right after practice?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would risk a penalty or two targeting Wyatt Johnston for destruction. Give this kid his welcome to the NHL moment and see if his rookie ass won’t wilt with some physicality.

Zubov2156

May 22, 2024
Lots of talk about defense and health. Every team has banged up players on offense and defence...That's playoff hockey and the reality. We will never know the truth or serious nature of the injury until the season is over. Players will try to conceal their injuries so that it does not give away an advantage to the other team.
Mcdavid is not looking like his normal self..that's unfortunate! I love watching him do Mcdavid things!
Just not this series! Haha
I have hope that the Stars can contain the Oilers offensive prowess because we are battle tested from the G-Knights and Avs series..
Hintz on our side is out but day to day. I expect him to play in GM2. But he is definitely not 100%
Honestly I am happy that we have a mostly full deck. Hakinpaa has been out since March and is a non factor . I don't think his injury..whatever it is will allow him to play the rest of the playoffs. He's a UFA next season so good luck moving forward.

Reactions: Puljulainen

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Good news on Henrique

SOunds like the flu went thru the lineup. Its that time of the year. Lets hope it has run its course. I seem to remember this has happened to the Oilers a few times in Playoffs over the years

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
i question your considerably better defence claim, heiskanen and lindell are great players, suter is old, tanev is hurt, petrovic sucks. i think our D matches up very well with theirs and they arent overly physical.

also Dallas PK is dogshit...oilers in 6

Having watched most of the Avs-Stars series, both teams played like Nurse-Ceci pairing were always on the ice for both sides. Forwards just skated in unimpeded. A tad overrated IMO

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
SOunds like the flu went thru the lineup. Its that time of the year. Lets hope it has run its course. I seem to remember this has happened to the Oilers a few times in Playoffs over the years

It got us during the Conference Finals in 2006 as well.

Zubov2156

May 22, 2024
My final thoughts on injuries this time of year to either team in this series! JMO

Full credit to USA hockey great Herb Brooks :

Herb Brooks : "You worry about your own game. Plenty there to keep you busy."
Herb Brooks : "A bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart, candy ass."

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We are in win at all costs mode. All championship teams greased their way to a Cup in some form or another. Do anything it takes to win. If Otter is in god mode, run him. If Benn is running around, take his legs out with a low bridge. Heiskanen playing too well against McDrai, cross check to the ribs. Anything it takes.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kane not at practice. He’s probably doing some Dennis Rodman like personal type of preparation for the series. Trip to Vegas? I don’t know. Whatever Kane needs to be ready I don’t care. Just bring it against the stars.

He was a menace in the 91v91 matchup against Z in Game 7. Belted him with a really good check. Then stole the puck off Z for a rush chance on net making Z fall down and look like a clown trying to keep up. He definitely did his job last series making Z his personal project.
Or just resting with his sports hernia. Kane's been a pretty model citizen as an Oiler. Agree with your second part. Kane and Holloway both were handfuls with their heavy forecheck and the former's seek and destroy finishing checks.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Kind of off topic a bit, but this is absolute gouging by the Oilers in terms of ticket prices.

We have a half season set, and we get our tickets for this round for I believe $360. Seat beside us on retail is $500. We're 2nd row in the upper.

I remember when you used to have to frantically get in queue to get these tickets and if you were lucky you may be able to snag a set on limited release.

30% of the building is still unsold as of this morning it looks like. Would be an absolute joke to not have it sold out because of this crap. 2 people having to fork out $1000 just to get into the building for upper bowl tickets is absolutely insane.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

all-of-it-is-garbage-presence.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Or just resting with his sports hernia. Kane's been a pretty model citizen as an Oiler. Agree with your second part. Kane and Holloway both were handfuls with their heavy forecheck and the former's seek and destroy finishing checks.
Well except for that time he missed practice likely coming back late from a trip to Paris. But I consider that model citizenship cause it’s Kane, it’s what we signed up for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad