Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore (UPD #443ff 14-Dec agenda/lease links)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Sounds to me like this is Matty once again throwing the ball into glendale's court. Nothing new. They have had this agreement for a couple of months and are clearly having difficulty choking it down. This is yet another tall cool glass of public pressure to help them swallow.

By 'the december 14th cog meeting is the final hurdle' he means, Glendale accepting my terms is the final hurdle.

How is it possible that 3 weeks before it is supposedly all completed they are still unsure who is part of the ownership group?

Incredible you and others continue to think we have a right to know what is going on behind closed doors. Instead you choose to continually speculate that because you don't know, XYZ must be what is happening.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Sounds to me like this is Matty once again throwing the ball into glendale's court. Nothing new. They have had this agreement for a couple of months and are clearly having difficulty choking it down. This is yet another tall cool glass of public pressure to help them swallow.

By 'the december 14th cog meeting is the final hurdle' he means, Glendale accepting my terms is the final hurdle.

How is it possible that 3 weeks before it is supposedly all completed they are still unsure who is part of the ownership group?

When I said, a few months ago, that I thought this Coyotes mess would come right down to the (Dec. 31) wire, I was joking. Kind of sad that it seems like that's actually going to happen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You're right. That they're involved isn't news, it was reported months ago.

Also, John Shannon quoting MH as telling the BOG he's prepared to lose money "for a long time". And Hulsizer says December 14th Council meeting in Glendale is last hurdle.

Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that Matt Hulsizer says GM Don Maloney will keep his job when he buys the Coyotes. He'll bring in a new president. Also,
Matthew Hulsizer says he reads David Shoalts and likes his work.

DarrenDreger reports Hulsizer spoke to media after mtng with NHL exec board. Says he knows he is going to lose $ on Coyotes. Says deal will close before Jan 1.

David Shoalts http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/hulsizer-admits-coyotes-arent-a-smart-investment/article1826858/

This is interesting. It sounds like things are now down to the "end game". These statements indicate that the lease has been finalized (or nearly so), from Hulsizer's perspective since he expects it to go to Glendale City Council on next week. I expect that if it is not brought for a vote then, or if it is rejected outright, it is game over. If it is approved, then there might be a few more months of financial and legal wrangling depending on the extent to which subsidy mechanisms are integral to the lease agreement.

It should be an interesting week.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Incredible you and others continue to think we have a right to know what is going on behind closed doors. Instead you choose to continually speculate that because you don't know, XYZ must be what is happening.

Uh...Coyotes supporters have been doing the same thing, arguing that each potential owner is definitely going to succeed in their attempts to buy the team, etc. etc.

Do you remember the debates over IEH? There were some pretty passionate defenders of that group, and they turned out to be clowns. Obviously everyone wants to twist the lack of news to fit their own ideal resolution.

Whether the silence means the team's sale to Hulsizer is "imminent" or if it means the deal is about to fall through, nobody knows.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010

By saying 'sounds to me' it is an indication that the following comment is my interpretation. You can take it or leave it.

They had an agreement 2 months ago. It was broadcast from the hills. My speculation that in the 7 weeks since the last time Matty said it would all be completed 'next week' Glendale has had difficulty with his conditions. He has said himself that it is up to Glendale at this point. Seems a logical conclusion to me but I don't ask you to share it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rebekah Sanders (Arizona Republic) gives a bit more information from the Glendale City Council. It does appear that they are trying to finalize the lease for a vote on December 14th, but there is still some work to do. It does sound as though there is some pressure due to the December 31 deadline imposed by the NHL.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/westsideinsider

Dado

Shoalts writes an article that isn't even slanted towards the negative. That may be the most positive sign yet for Coyotes' fans.

I thought the claim was that Shoalts was always wrong. If he's not negative, then the worst possible news for Coyotes must be coming.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
its such crap that matty claims this is all for his love of hockey and he is all good with losing money on buying the coyotes....he's reportedly negotiating for upwards of $100m in outside revenues to ensure that doesnt happen....we'll see with what kind of out clause he demands just how long he is willing to be so altruistic after those run dry...

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
With as hard as the NHL has worked to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix did anyone really think that they would move? With all the deadlines and failed buy out attempts you would assume that the logical solution to this problem would be to move the team. Unfortunately the team has not been moved, the NHL wants the team to stay in Phoenix, even if Hulsizer drops out the NHL/Bettman will find another potential billionare to buy the team. It's Ockam's Razor- The simplest solution is often the correct one, the NHL doesn't want the team to move, therefore they won't. And it will be the same way with Atlanta and any other struggling franchise in the sunbelt. With the NHL working so hard to keep the Coyotes what would they not work as hard for Atlanta or Florida.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
With as hard as the NHL has worked to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix did anyone really think that they would move? With all the deadlines and failed buy out attempts you would assume that the logical solution to this problem would be to move the team. Unfortunately the team has not been moved, the NHL wants the team to stay in Phoenix, even if Hulsizer drops out the NHL/Bettman will find another potential billionare to buy the team. It's Ockam's Razor- The simplest solution is often the correct one, the NHL doesn't want the team to move, therefore they won't. And it will be the same way with Atlanta and any other struggling franchise in the sunbelt. With the NHL working so hard to keep the Coyotes what would they not work as hard for Atlanta or Florida.

No doubt the NHL is doing all it can to keep a team in Phoenix.

I just want this to be resolved and not go the way of the TB situation a couple of years ago when Davidson sold it to Koules/Barrie and then 2 years later they get sold to Vinik.

Get an ownership group in there that will be there for at least 7 years and not be in and out in 2 years like the previous TB group. End this BS in Phx once and for all with an owner who will operate the team in Phx long term or get out of there now. We don't want to hear about money problems in Phx past this season.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i am actually looking forward to this being done in phoenix because for about 4 months now i have been pretty sure that they were not the target for TNSE anyways....as soon as this wraps up the real end goal will finally step out from the shadows.

that being said...i'm still not sold on this being done quite yet....these are all just the same platitudes we have heard over and over again....there is obvioously some serious hangups if 2 months after glendale said that an agreement had been reached in principle, they are now saying 'people are still working as we speak'.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

Whileee

May 29, 2010
i am actually looking forward to this being done in phoenix because for about 4 months now i have been pretty sure that they were not the target for TNSE anyways....as soon as this wraps up the real end goal will finally step out from the shadows.

that being said...i'm still not sold on this being done quite yet....these are all just the same platitudes we have heard over and over again....there is obvioously some serious hangups if 2 months after glendale said that an agreement had been reached in principle, they are now saying 'people are still working as we speak'.

I agree with this.

I had a look at the interview with Hulsizer after his meeting with the BOG Executive. Actually, I think he seems like a solid and credible guy (notwithstanding his apparent link with IEH as minority investors). My sense is that he is more likely to get this deal done because he seems more willing to assume financial risk than previous bidders (Reinsdorf and IEH). So, as I said more than 3 months ago, I tend to think he will get this deal done as long as there are not big legal or other stumbling blocks in Glendale.

If the Glendale sale does come through then it will be interesting to see if there is a "Plan B" for TNSE. My pet theory is that their original purchase plan was focused on another team (maybe the Thrashers?), but that was put on hold by the NHL because the NHL wanted to ensure that they had a sure buyer in case things unraveled in Glendale. We might soon find out.

Again, I will offer my congratulations and best wishes to the loyal Coyotes fans if things turn out successfully. After all, a hockey fan is a hockey fan. :nod:

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
^ me too....as i have for the past 15 years, i will continue to cheer for my favourite team (whoever is playing the coyotes).....but it would not be long before i am able to watch the winnipeg falcons face off against them when im visiting my snowbird parents.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At least Hulsizer hasn't been asking for games in Saskatoon. :)

Don't be so sure... why do you think he is bringing in the IEH boys as minority investors? They are going to run the "Saskatoon operation".:naughty:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
At 40, would Hulsizer be one of or the youngest owner in the league?

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
i think there has been more news posted in this thread in the last 24 hours than there has in the last 24 days :laugh:

wherever it ends up, this seems to be entering the final chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad