Shlt Poster
Jul 9, 2022
1723291726688334.png

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
And you can have it. What an absolute joke. And made a bigger mockery by "Raygun". So happy breaking won't be at the games in LA in 2028.
Just when I thought I'd already watched the stupidest Olympic sport ever. Its a Friday night and down to watch some Olympics. Breakdancing comes on, I change the channel after one performance. Just stared at it like a car crash for 5 mins. Everything from the music to the commentators trying to be all rap or something was getting me to change the channel.

Then later CBC had the "FOMO" thing on where I'm supposed to care about the hosts or think they are funny or something. As in most cases with CBC its just added baggage and like advertising or prelude instead of just showing the damn events. Heres a clue to broadcasters. I don't want to see Andie Petrillio ever, or any of the other hosts, I JUST want the events. None of the talking heads describing a race or telling us what we will see next, just show the damn competition. No panels, no talking, no voice overs. Thats what I want.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This one isn’t boycotted but Russia and Byelorussia aren’t in these games. Russia is usually a medal powerhouse and Byelorussia has their niche sports as well. Mind you the future of Russian sport is being ground up in Ukraine.

Australia is the Gold standard for smaller countries excelling at sport. They have just over half our population but sit 5th in medal count easily doubling our haul. They have an excellent amateur sporting program down under.
Canada are generally successful at both Winter and Summer Games though, something Australia can’t boast.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
China may finally beat the US in gold medals. They have been actively pursuing a strategy over the past few decades to pick off golds in relatively low participation sports to achieve this.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
China may finally beat the US in gold medals. They have been actively pursuing a strategy over the past few decades to pick off golds in relatively low participation sports to achieve this.
Whatever they do, they are still a pariah state to the western world and countries, so few will really care that they did.

Everything they do is met (rightfully) with a discerning eye.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Arop wins silver in the 800m. Loses gold by 0.01 seconds.
Loses the gold by .01 seconds. We Canadians are just so darned polite!

Whatever they do, they are still a pariah state to the western world and countries, so few will really care that they did.

Everything they do is met (rightfully) with a discerning eye.
Both China and Russia will do whatever they can, illegal or not, to try to "prove" their system is better than the west and democracy. When all they really have to do is sit back and look at the clowns running the U.S. and running for election and laugh.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

China can suck a bag of dicks. They essentially kidnap children from their parents (who willingly go along to increase their social credit score) and stick them in sporting penal camps mercilessly drilling and training them and then casting them aside when their service to the glory of the state is complete.

But they get extra bonus social credit points to live out the rest of their lives in a state controlled dystopian society so there’s that.

f*** them.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Canada is killing it these Olympics. Not only are they winning at traditional events they usually excel at. But also in traditional events they’ve never medaled in. I know Countries like Russia aren’t in it but still.

I agree we’re doing well. While we might be “killing it” by our low standards, the country that is really killing it is Australia. Canada should emulate the commitment to amateur sport like they do. They are the gold standard for small countries in my opinion.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
China can suck a bag of dicks. They essentially kidnap children from their parents (who willingly go along to increase their social credit score) and stick them in sporting penal camps mercilessly drilling and training them and then casting them aside when their service to the glory of the state is complete.

But they get extra bonus social credit points to live out the rest of their lives in a state controlled dystopian society so there’s that.

f*** them.
I don't disagree. I was just commenting on how their strategy (parts gamesmanship and parts unethical) may finally work. They've been planning this moment for decades; there's no doubt their authoritarian style of government aids the process.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And you can have it. What an absolute joke. And made a bigger mockery by "Raygun". So happy breaking won't be at the games in LA in 2028.

They need to be more selective of who qualifies, but I think it's dumb to scrap it.

The lineup to get into the arena for this even apparently stretched around the block outside the arena twice. The event had full attendance opposed to other events where like half the seats are empty.

There's definitely interest in this event, if you're going to have like a good dozen events no one gives a crap about, it just seems to me to be counter intuitive to scrap one of the more popular new events in an era where the TV/cable providers are crying that they can't get enough viewership from the 18-35 demo in particular.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't disagree. I was just commenting on how their strategy (parts gamesmanship and parts unethical) may finally work. They've been planning this moment for decades.

I’m not sure anyone but the old men in black suits who run the CCP care to be honest. It proves nothing other than to their sense of self superiority but it’s very tainted in the world’s eyes other than by the countries who bend over to kiss their ass.

Reactions: oilers'72

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
While we might be “killing it” by our low standards, the country that is really killing it is Australia. Canada should emulate the commitment to amateur sport like they do. They are the gold standard for small countries in my opinion.

We're doing more than well. The only huge disappointment I think would be the men's basketball team getting knocked out before the medal round because Canada surprisingly has been producing top NBA talent the last few years especially.

I can still remember the 1988 *winter* Olympic games where Canada couldn't even win 1 single, lousy gold medal even while hosting the games on their home turf.

We've come a long ways since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad