GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
“Breaking” was on during lunch where I was at. No. Just no. Sorry but this is just not an Olympic sport.
I heard they are turfing this for the LA Olys. If true that’s probably a fail.

Was this a real sport this time or a demo sport that is used to gauge interest?

I just find it hard to believe that it would be introd in Paris and cancelled for LA. Maybe I heard wrong.

Sucks degrasse struggled in the individual races. Big fan of his. And unfortunately he probably just ran his last race in the olympics 😪
Other athletes had better Games, but he should be a co-flag bearer at the closing if so. The man is Canadian class, through and through.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think they still have sailing, but that can be legit physically demanding.
I was convinced they had a yachting event at the Olympics. Sailing sounds like it could be a sport but yachting sounds like something the rich dudes do. Turns out it was called yachting but they dropped that name for the 2000 Olympics and just call it sailing now.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I heard they are turfing this for the LA Olys. If true that’s probably a fail.

Was this a real sport this time or a demo sport that is used to gauge interest?

I just find it hard to believe that it would be introd in Paris and cancelled for LA. Maybe I heard wrong.

Other athletes had better Games, but he should be a co-flag bearer at the closing if so. The man is Canadian class, through and through.
I believe LA had a choice of what events to chose. Whereas France chose Breaking (it's big in France I guess??) LA chose lacrosse and some other stuff.

Reactions: oilers'72

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was convinced they had a yachting event at the Olympics. Sailing sounds like it could be a sport but yachting sounds like something the rich dudes do. Turns out it was called yachting but they dropped that name for the 2000 Olympics and just call it sailing now.
You are probably correct in that, yes it's good is no longer a sport.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I believe LA had a choice of what events to chose. Whereas France chose Breaking (it's big in France I guess??) LA chose lacrosse and some other stuff.
I'm not a big fan of the sport but I'm not sure why Baseball/Softball were ever dropped.

I've watched a variety of sports this time around. Handball , Water Polo and Rugby7s , Track,Swimming, Beach Volleyball were all great . Judo and some of the rowing were good.

Boxing was ok but I watch a fair amount of pro bouts and these amateur bouts don't cut it for being very entertaining.

Taekwondo lasted about 5 minutes on my screen. Breaking lasted 10.

Summer Mcintosh and the Men's track Relay team made these Olympics memorable for me.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not a big fan of the sport but I'm not sure why Baseball/Softball were ever dropped.

I've watched a variety of sports this time around. Handball , Water Polo and Rugby7s , Track,Swimming, Beach Volleyball were all great . Judo and some of the rowing were good.

Boxing was ok but I watch a fair amount of pro bouts and these amateur bouts don't cut it for being very entertaining.

Taekwondo lasted about 5 minutes on my screen. Breaking lasted 10.

Summer Mcintosh and the Men's track Relay team made these Olympics memorable for me.
Simple explanation. Because MLB was against shutting their league down in the mid season and extending their post season to December. No men’s competition, no women’s.

I don’t disagree.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Simple explanation. Because MLB was against shutting their league down in the mid season and extending their post season to December. No men’s competition, no women’s.

I don’t disagree.
They weren’t sending major leaguers to the Olympics were they?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They weren’t sending major leaguers to the Olympics were they?
Baseball/softball was canned before MLB was on, but after it was canned and the other major sports released athletes to play hockey, basketball etc., they had discussions and couldn’t find common ground to introduce them. Probabky could have had amateurs/lower pros but that would be a black eye to the IOC that they weren’t hosting the best in the world.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lewis can yap all he wants but he cheated the same way Ben Johnston did. Who cares what a cheat says. Just ask Michael Phelps, he'll tell you.
Cheat or not he’s not wrong, USA has been appalling at the 4x100 for literal decades now. Lol.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Vincent gets gold in singles canoe and beats the American by 0.01 seconds, setting a new WR.

Canada sets a new mark for gold medals and total medals at a non boycotted Summer games.

This one isn’t boycotted but Russia and Byelorussia aren’t in these games. Russia is usually a medal powerhouse and Byelorussia has their niche sports as well. Mind you the future of Russian sport is being ground up in Ukraine.

Australia is the Gold standard for smaller countries excelling at sport. They have just over half our population but sit 5th in medal count easily doubling our haul. They have an excellent amateur sporting program down under.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
TBH there are a number of sports at the Olympics that I think might be better served on Amazing Race.

Let's hope that "twerking" doesn't make it in for the 2028 games in L.A.

Anyway, how about those 26 medals--respectable but once again the ladies basically stole the show.

The American media were falling all over themselves about Lyles and the relay team but the fact was that even if without him the American team was stacked. They didn't bother to practice much and thought gold was a given.

Andre's last Olympics and what a great way to go out. Like his style, a huge burst at the end to shut it down. His acceleration in the last 50 meters has always been a thing of beauty. Canada will miss him --he's been a great role model for young people.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Croatia and Serbia play in the gold medal match in men’s waterpolo. These 2 countries just absolutely hate each others guts. Should be a good match.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad