GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Go to west edmonton mall and walk behind the snails, once you pass them you open up into high gear.

Our junior high we did some disciplines, but never pole vault or hammer throw. Was usually high jump, long jump, triple jump, shot put and then the various running events.

I can't even imagine how many people would get crippled up trying pole vault.

Actually it might have been high jump, not pole vault haha. Could see the problems there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Actually it might have been high jump, not pole vault haha. Could see the problems there.
Javelin was another one we wanted, but our teachers were quite clear that they can't trust us throwing things lol.

We were kind of bad enough with shot put:laugh:

The funny thing is come high school I don't remember jack shit about track and field. Other than when it was warm out we had to run the track before we played whatever sport was on the docket that day. You'd think high school would be the place you'd spend more time on this stuff, but I guess not.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Go to west edmonton mall and walk behind the snails, once you pass them you open up into high gear.

Our junior high we did some disciplines, but never pole vault or hammer throw. Was usually high jump, long jump, triple jump, shot put and then the various running events.

I can't even imagine how many people would get crippled up trying pole vault.
Can you imagine unleashing the hammer throw on a class of junior high kids. If there were no casualties it would be a miracle.

This sort of reminds me when I was in high school, We had a rifle range in the basement of our school and one unit in grade 10 Phys Ed was riflery. In my school that just meant you give a bunch of kids a couple of 22's and let them loose. I grew up around guns since my dad was a hunter. I learned gun safety as young kid and took it extremely seriously. What I experience in that unit was truly terrifying.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can you imagine unleashing the hammer throw on a class of junior high kids. If there were no casualties it would be a miracle.

This sort of reminds me when I was in high school, We had a rifle ranger in the basement of our school and one unit in grade 10 Phys Ed was riflery. In my school that just meant you give a bunch of kids a couple of 22's and let them loose. I grew up around guns since my dad was a hunter. I learned gun safety as young kid and took it extremely seriously. What I experience in that units was truly terrifying.
I don't even think they'd allow us water pistols in high school.

I'm trying to think of a sport that we weren't banned from playing at one point or another.

In hindsight I can see why our gym teacher liked his beer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I am now a big Luana Alonso fan.

Javelin was another one we wanted, but our teachers were quite clear that they can't trust us throwing things lol.

The funny thing is come high school I don't remember jack shit about track and field. Other than when it was warm out we had to run the track before we played whatever sport was on the docket that day. You'd think high school would be the place you'd spend more time on this stuff, but I guess not.
We destroyed our shop class, so I can't imagine what would have happened if they'd given us a bunch of heavy or sharp spears to chuck around.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What happened to our track cycling team? Won a few medals last time but this time they’re basically finishing last in the heats.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

My junior high and high schooling was done in Saskatchewan in the early 80’s. We had javelin as early as junior high but not pole vault and hammer throw. I competed a couple years at the Saskatchewan High School Provincial Track Meet and I’m comfortable saying hammer throw was not an event done at that level back then. I’m not as sure about pole vault.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Not to worry, you'll get your chance yet. I hear they're introducing "Artistic stretches" for the 2028 Olympics.
Damn!!!

We need to get a petition immediately to get me in there!

Can you imagine me doing the Sharon Stone nude leg cross from Basic Instinct in front of the judges lol!!!!

“For the love of god!! Get that fat guy with no underwear off the stage”!!!!

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Moh Ahmed (silver medalist in Tokyo) out during a 5000m qualifying heat after he clipped the person in front of him and went down. Lots of athletes went down all at once so there was a chance for an appeal, but Ahmed's was denied.

Reactions: tardigrade81

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Rick Westhead apparently looking into it. Really the last guy you want to hear looking into something in sports, lol.

I am sure he will uncover that the team bus driver made a mean tweet 17 years ago that offended someone and will call for their head on a stake at the TSN Palace Gates.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is there a list anywhere of records that have been set these olympics? Heard that Cuban wrestler set a record for winning 5 consecutive golds. Which is pretty impressive to me. Was just curious what other kind records have fell this year.

Melissa and Brandie beat the Spanish team and are now into the beach volleyball semifinals.
I was talking to mom and she was apparently watching the quarterfinal game.

Couldn't figure out what she was screaming at half the time.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Degrasse is out of the finals.

He has been bothered by a hamstring but I get the feeling that even if perfectly healthy, a medal was not in the cards.

Brown is out too so a bit of a disappointment for our track team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad