GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Can provide a ton of articles on how Olympic 3 on 3 sucks as a format. Just awful to watch on TV, and a joke that only 8 nations are in tournament to begin with.

It’s mysterious how you even get on an Olympic 3 on 3 squad. Apparently in the US that means you have to be completely inept at the game and never close to the NBA or anything.
Plouffe played on the actual Olympic squad twice. She’s far from a bum. Yes the Americans could probably stack a team and dominate both like they do in regular basketball.

It’s new of course it still has its warts. It will improve with time as will the competition. I agree they need to find a way to get current NBA / WNBA players in it.

Reactions: capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Plouffe played on the actual Olympic squad twice. She’s far from a bum. Yes the Americans could probably stack a team and dominate both like they do in regular basketball.

It’s new of course it still has its warts. It will improve with time as will the competition. I agree they need to find a way to get current NBA / WNBA players in it.
She was on Team Canada in Olympics basically warming up the bench. Pretty nothing player. Clumsy, now old. Maybe she was better when younger. Fortunate for her 3 on 3 is even a format now or she'd be out of basketball. lets keep it real in that CWNT isn't all that good. Even Kia Nurse has had a spot on it for a long while.

Warts? The 3 on 3games were awful to watch. Players are lousy and the format sucks.

Reactions: rhino71

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
She was on Team Canada in Olympics basically warming up the bench. Pretty nothing player. Clumsy, now old. Maybe she was better when younger. Fortunate for her 3 on 3 is even a format now or she'd be out of basketball. lets keep it real in that CWNT isn't all that good. Even Kia Nurse has had a spot on it for a long while.

Warts? The 3 on 3games were awful to watch. Players are lousy and the format sucks.
Lol you don’t make the Olympic team if you are a nothing player. Period.

Sure believe what you like. 3 on 3 is growing wether you like to admit it or not.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lol you don’t make the Olympic team if you are a nothing player. Period.

Sure believe what you like. 3 on 3 is growing wether you like to admit it or not.
3 on 3 is a participation type of thing. Its fine on that end. Basically pickup ball. Originated to make it easier to get Basketball played with limited players. As viewing sport it sure doesn't work, and sure as shit shouldn't be on Olympics. Its a joke.

Man, I've watched the CWNT in person a fair number of times. Its not exactly great basketball. On the womens side its pretty weak sauce. I've only gone to watch because the wife likes it. The average Womens Olympic team probably couldn't beat decent male Highschool clubs.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
3 on 3 is a participation type of thing. Its fine on that end. Basically pickup ball. Originated to make it easier to get Basketball played with limited players. As viewing sport it sure doesn't work, and sure as shit shouldn't be on Olympics. Its a joke.

Man, I've watched the CWNT in person a fair number of times. It’s not exactly great basketball. On the womens side it’s pretty weak sauce. I've only gone to watch because the wife likes it. The average Womens Olympic team probably couldn't beat decent male Highschool clubs.
It’s pretty obvious to me you haven’t played, watched, or paid attention to anything 3 on 3 basketball in your life.

Anyways agree to disagree.

Women’s vs men’s basketball is a totally separate conversation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It’s pretty obvious to me you haven’t played, watched, or paid attention to anything 3 on 3 basketball in your life.

Anyways agree to disagree.

Women’s vs men’s basketball is a totally separate conversation.
I'm 63 and suck at basketball and can't jump properly anymore. You're onto something. haha

I did play a fair amount of pick up hoops outside. I used to be able to play. Never really my favorite sport though.

hey I watched Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabar. heh.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canada dominating the hammer throw. Who'd a ever thunk it???
Used to know some Physics profs. Would wonder how they would break down the ideal mechanics. To me the Canadians seem to be generating more centrifugal force and velocity spin than the other competitors. Their technique seems somewhat different and Katzberg does not have the physique of a typical hammer thrower. Have they had revolutionary coaching and technique? It seems so.

Read up a bit and talks a lot how Katzberg is a natural thrower but that he has understanding of biomechanics, rotation, and release that make him elite.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Used to know some Physics profs. Would wonder how they would break down the ideal mechanics. To me the Canadians seem to be generating more centrifugal force and velocity spin than the other competitors. Their technique seems somewhat different and Katzberg does not have the physique of a typical hammer thrower. Have they had revolutionary coaching and technique? It seems so.

Read up a bit and talks a lot how Katzberg is a natural thrower but that he has understanding of biomechanics, rotation, and release that make him elite.
The physics is pretty simple in the end. Get the thing moving as fast as possible and release it at a 45 degree angle and you should be gold. Of course all of that is easier said than done and there is much more to know in terms of how to get to that end. Getting that sucker to travel in a circle without it pulling you with it requires some real strength.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The physics is pretty simple in the end. Get the thing moving as fast as possible and release it at a 45 degree angle and you should be gold. Of course all of that is easier said than done and there is much more to know in terms of how to get to that end. Getting that sucker to travel in a circle requires some real strength.
Everything is easy in theory :laugh::laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Very curious how it'll be 10 years from now. I sooner see the Women's having WNBA players before the Men's getting NBA players.

But it really comes down to what the players themselves think of the sport. If they view it as a gimmick to the real thing then you might not get the buy in.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Camryn Rogers has won gold in women’s hammer throw.
The interview they just aired with her instantly made her one of my favourites. Just sounds like an incredibly genuine person. Love to see new people like this in the Olympics that I would never have heard of

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The interview they just aired with her instantly made her one of my favourites. Just sounds like an incredibly genuine person. Love to see new people like this in the Olympics that I would never have heard of
I feel a lot of the athletes at the olympics are a lot more genuine than we are use to. They aren't use to the media or being pre-programmed like certain sports are from a young age.

Just good to see all around, Canadian or not.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Nobody:

Canada in the hammer throw:

1722978127593.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't even know how one gets into something like hammer throw. Were Camryn and Ethan wild as toddlers that would spin and throw shit so their parents just encouraged them?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't even know how one gets into something like hammer throw. Were Camryn and Ethan wild as toddlers that would spin and throw shit so their parents just encouraged them?

At least in my day things like this would get scouted out during junior high gym classes and meets with other schools.

This was a while ago now, but when I was in junior high we learned the basics of a bunch of track disciplines then competed with other schools in a meet at the UofA track. There was one kid that was a natural at pole vault and he was asked if he wanted to go into some special program for it so he could keep doing it. I don't think it went anywhere with him, but I think generally this is how it goes if not introduced at an earlier age.

For me it's more the sports like race-walking. How the hell do you possibly get into race walking?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At least in my day things like this would get scouted out during junior high gym classes and meets with other schools.

This was a while ago now, but when I was in junior high we learned the basics of a bunch of track disciplines then competed with other schools in a meet at the UofA track. There was one kid that was a natural at pole vault and he was asked if he wanted to go into some special program for it so he could keep doing it. I don't think it went anywhere with him, but I think generally this is how it goes if not introduced at an earlier age.

For me it's more the sports like race-walking. How the hell do you possibly get into race walking?
Go to west edmonton mall and walk behind the snails, once you pass them you open up into high gear.

Our junior high we did some disciplines, but never pole vault or hammer throw. Was usually high jump, long jump, triple jump, shot put and then the various running events.

I can't even imagine how many people would get crippled up trying pole vault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad