GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Couldn’t have scripted a much worse first quarter against France there. Gonna need to be a completely different team to even have a shot of climbing out of this hole.

Reactions: Valhallis

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not sure which are playing worse. The Mens basketball team, the womens basketball team, or the womens 3 on 3 I mistakenly watched last night.

That 3 on 3 game against US had me wondering the whole time why this is an olympic sport and medals are handed out. I've seen better 3 on 3 basketball played almost anywhere. The players, especially the Canadians are inept, uncoordinated, lousy. An absolute joke this event is in Olympics. Was it a requirement to be awful?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not sure which are playing worse. The Mens basketball team, the womens basketball team, or the womens 3 on 3 I mistakenly watched last night.

That 3 on 3 game against US had me wondering the whole time why this is an olympic sport and medals are handed out. I've seen better 3 on 3 basketball played almost anywhere. The players, especially the Canadians are inept, uncoordinated, lousy. An absolute joke this event is in Olympics. Was it a requirement to be awful?
Our women’s 3 on 3 team lost by a point to the gold medal winners. The Plouffe twins lousy? Lol they are some of the best basketball players to come out of Edmonton.

Please enlighten me where you watched better women’s 3 on 3 basketball.

Reactions: AM and capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Our women’s 3 on 3 team lost by a point to the gold medal winners. The Plouffe twins lousy? Lol they are some of the best basketball players to come out of Edmonton.

Please enlighten me where you watched better women’s 3 on 3 basketball.
The standard of play is awful. Both teams were a joke, US slightly better. I've seen 3 on 3 basketball that blows this out of the water.

lost by 3pts in a 10 min game but anyway. Canada was lucky enough to be hitting some two pointers. US were far better at getting open looks for buckets.

But this is good illustration of what I saw:

In short the 3 on 3 format stinks. Bunch of elbows, turnovers, and no artistry. Too little court to work much and just looks clumsy. "Its pickleball to tennis" as the article says. I gave it a try, watched a couple games, Canada lost both, and the sport failed. Was some of the worst viewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

they have break-dancing in the Olympiccs now, anything is possible

• Haha

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The standard of play is awful. Both teams were a joke, US slightly better. I've seen 3 on 3 basketball that blows this out of the water.

lost by 3pts in a 10 min game but anyway. Canada was lucky enough to be hitting some two pointers. US were far better at getting open looks for buckets.

In short the 3 on 3 format stinks. Bunch of elbows, turnovers, and no artistry. Too little court to work much and just looks clumsy. "Its pickleball to tennis" as the article says. I gave it a try, watched a couple games, Canada lost both, and the sport failed. Was some of the worst viewing.
Ya again where?

Lol this article is just an American with a fragile ego that’s upset they didn’t dominate like their regular teams.

3 on 3 is great if you understand it. It’s not lousy, it’s just different.

Reactions: capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ya again where?

Lol this article is just an American with a fragile ego that’s upset they didn’t dominate like their regular teams.

3 on 3 is great if you understand it. It’s not lousy, it’s just different.
Can provide a ton of articles on how Olympic 3 on 3 sucks as a format. Just awful to watch on TV, and a joke that only 8 nations are in tournament to begin with.

Its mysterious how you even get on an Olympic 3 on 3 squad. Apparently in the US that means you have to be completely inept at the game and never close to the NBA or anything.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

The 3 on 3 basketball was brutal to watch. We were talking about it earlier in the thread. Apparently the problem was you needed to play in a certain amount of 3 on 3 tournaments to qualify and those tournaments run predominantly during the pro season so they don’t get those players. The other issue and it’s probably the biggest is that the ball is a different size than the one they’re used to using. That could help explain the awful passing and shooting we saw. I say awful but that doesn’t begin to cover it. It made them unwatchable. I think the sport can work, it’s fun and it is a variation of a sport most people have played but they need better players. I’d rather watch this than the stupid wall climbing thing I watched this morning or worse, the break dancing that’s coming.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yep. Just a complete joke. Cheapens Olympic medals to have some of these new competitions.

The first joke is that only 8 teams were in the tournament. Meaning the chance of medaling is 3/8. lol.

They are competing with the X Games for the unconventional younger viewers. Break dancing and wall climbing are also now Olympic “sports”.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
The 3 on 3 basketball was brutal to watch. We were talking about it earlier in the thread. Apparently the problem was you needed to play in a certain amount of 3 on 3 tournaments to qualify and those tournaments run predominantly during the pro season so they don’t get those players. The other issue and it’s probably the biggest is that the ball is a different size than the one they’re used to using. That could help explain the awful passing and shooting we saw. I say awful but that doesn’t begin to cover it. It made them unwatchable. I think the sport can work, it’s fun and it is a variation of a sport most people have played but they need better players. I’d rather watch this than the stupid wall climbing thing I watched this morning or worse, the break dancing that’s coming.
I haven't watched any 3x3 other than a few highlights but didn't realize the ball was a different size? That seems a bit bizarre to me. We don't change the size of the cup in golf, or the size of all the other 'spheres' in all the games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Agreed. Didn't know the ball was a different size. Yeah, awful passing and ball movement. Just looked so clumsy as a sport. Really looked like very little skill on the court as well.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Next up in the Olympic sporting repertoire are Competitive Eating, Cornhole and Pub Darts. With the final two you get bonus points for competing while completely shitfaced as an added degree of difficulty.

Reactions: oilers'72 and grego

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Next up in the Olympic sporting repertoire are Competitive Eating, Cornhole and Pub Darts. With the final two you get bonus points for competing while completely shitfaced as an added degree of difficulty.
Man, I was at Dolly's this weekend and got an ace at the cornhole toss while waiting for my food. Sign me up for cornholing!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I haven't watched any 3x3 other than a few highlights but didn't realize the ball was a different size? That seems a bit bizarre to me. We don't change the size of the cup in golf, or the size of all the other 'spheres' in all the games.
I think it was Cupofoil who was explaining the rules a few days ago and he brought up the ball size. It doesn’t make much sense but I got the impression that they were deliberately looking for different types of players for this sport than today’s pros. Maybe they’ll get there at some point where their players are elite but they’re certainly not there yet.

Reactions: subnet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad