GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You're right.

I only ever really watched Canada games and ive been spoiled with seeing Sinclair every time as shes been playing for the team since before I started watching.

I'm glad I spent the time to appreciate how good she was, nothing worse than watching a great and never realizing how good they are until they're gone.
She was such a pleasure for decades and head and shoulders better than everybody, jmo. When I started following Womens Soccer seriously it was around 2000 and her and Karla Lang being stars. Lang had a career ending devastating knee injury and could never play her game again.

Sinclair for decades made Womens football much more watchable. In prime her touches on the ball and even around the box were the kind of thing you'd expect from quality Mens players. She's the leading scorer of all time and a legend for all time.

That she was such a tremendous person and team mate just made her extra special. Its striking too that every women on the pitch for today (almost) had been inspired by Sinclairs prominence. A player that made all of Canada better on and off the pitch.

ftr I've been to every CWNT game ever played here at Commonwealth. Saw them all, went to all the tournaments. So I definitely know the Womens game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
She was such a pleasure for decades and head and shoulders better than everybody, jmo. When I started following Womens Soccer seriously it was around 2000 and her and Karla Lang being stars. Lang had a career ending devastating knee injury and could never play her game again.

Sinclair for decades made Womens football much more watchable. In prime her touches on the ball and even around the box were the kind of thing you'd expect from quality Mens players. She's the leading scorer of all time and a legend for all time.

That she was such a tremendous person and team mate just made her extra special. Its striking too that every women on the pitch for today (almost) had been inspired by Sinclairs prominence. A player that made all of Canada better on and off the pitch.

ftr I've been to every CWNT game ever played here at Commonwealth. Saw them all, went to all the tournaments. So I definitely know the Womens game.
I started watching around 2007ish.

She was so good for so long, it was such a pleasure to watch.

I also met her numerous times and shes an even nicer/better person.

***I saw canada vs costa rica at commonwealth to qualify for the world cup.

One of the best sporting event experiences ive ever been to, where every chance matters way more than a sport like hockey, because you might only get 1 or 2.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
Yeah. Heitema is nothing. Plays a timid bambi type game, rarely has the ball and just not noticeable at all. She's been so highly touted and I just don't see it. Leon is the quantum opposite. Will run the ball at opponents all day, hard to cover, and creates and makes chances. her finish lets her down but not her effort.

Viens was so smart out there as well in both boxes. Her and Gilles not only getting the goals for Canada but mopping up own backline as well. Between them I counted about 4 heroic needed touches on balls to prevent German opportunities.

Canada sure had the buy in from almost all of the players.
I saw Viens play for Team Quebec some years back and she was hands down the best player in that tournament. She wasn't even on Canada's national team radar. I remain confused how some players like Huitema continually get more minutes than her. There must a reason but they elude my knowledge.

Priestman made some interesting roster decisions, including leaving off Olivia Smith, an incredibly dynamic player who can score. Honestly could have used her this game. Thankfully, Priestman is gone.

Anyways, a great day for Canada. Love seeing all the success in the pool and our women's rowers getting that silver.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I saw Viens play for Team Quebec some years back and she was hands down the best player in that tournament. She wasn't even on Canada's national team radar. I remain confused how some players like Huitema continually get more minutes than year. There must a reason but they elude my knowledge.

Priestman made some interesting roster decisions, including leaving off Olivia Smith, an incredibly dynamic player who can score. Honestly could have used her this game. Thankfully, Priestman is gone.

Anyways, a great day for Canada. Love seeing all the success in the pool and our women's rowers getting that silver.
Huitama is famous for her Unders game in which she was electric, and a sensation as a young player. But then it seems fame and money hit, and she's really been put in spotlight, and she can't seem to match up as a senior..

I'm always impressed with Viens positions and reads on plays and both offensively and defensively. No reason for her not to have a bigger role on the National team.

As for Huitema she was slumping for so long she was removed as a starter but now under present coach is back to being a starter, and frankly not earning it.

Not only is Viens better offensively but her awareness on defensive side is an added plus.

Huitema still young enough to see further glory but she's been nothingburger for Canada in recent tournaments. The last time she shone was really 2020. Not sure what all happened to her since. Seems like a star studded life is perhaps making her less ambitious on the pitch? I dunno. Just strikes me that Sinclair was all business on the pitch and Huitema strives for the personal fame. On and off the pitch. Seems much more the celebrity type. In her relationships as well Jordyn seems to be really good at being famous and having famous suitors. She seems kind of hollywood.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
Huitama is famous for her Unders game in which she was electric, and a sensation as a young player. But then it seems fame and money hit, and she's really been put in spotlight, and she can't seem to match up.

I'm always impressed with Viens positions and reads on plays and both offensively and defensively. No reason for her not to have abigger role on the National team.

As for Huitema she was slumping for so long she was removed as a starter but now under present coach is back to being a starter, and frankly not earning it.

Not only is Viens better offensively but her awareness on defensive side.

Huitema still young enough to see further glory but she's been nothingburger for Canada in recent tournaments. The last time she shone was really 2020. Not sure what all happened.
Lacasse is better than Huitema as well. Viens, Lacasse, Beckie and Leon are all better than Huitema and Prince. Very poor decisions by the temporary coach.

To be fair, I thought Huitema was pretty decent in the game against Colombia, but she's pretty useless playing the flank. Prince was awful too. She had no business being on the roster. Priestman made some truly baffling decisions. Again, I'll say it ... Olivia Smith, who probably no one here knows, should have been on the Olympic roster. Favoritism, whatever. Terrible decisions. Smith is can create chances and can finish. Just got a record transfer fee from Liverpool. Not good enough for Priestman though.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’m proud of the women’s soccer team, I can’t imagine what the last week must’ve been like. It’s a very short tournament with not a ton of recovery time, and while fighting against the world can be motivating eventually the tank was empty. I thought they were good today but not great, the lack of finish which has been remarked in here was pretty obvious. The subs started to give them their chances and the breakaway miss will give them nightmares, but it just wasn’t meant to be.

Whether the players knew or not all I can say is once again Canada Soccer screwed our players, and the leadership involved in this should be fired to the sun. Costing your athletes like this is reprehensible and unforgivable in my opinion.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lacasse is better than Huitema as well. Viens, Lacasse, Beckie and Leon are all better than Huitema and Prince. Very poor decisions by the temporary coach.

To be fair, I thought Huitema was pretty decent in the game against Colombia, but she's pretty useless playing the flank. Prince was awful too. She had no business being on the roster. Priestman made some truly baffling decisions. Again, I'll say it ... Olivia Smith, who probably no one here knows, should have been on the Olympic roster. Favoritism, whatever. Terrible decisions. Smith is can create chances and can finish. Just got a record transfer fee from Liverpool. Not good enough for Priestman though.
Lacasse added very impressive pace on the flank. The difference was noticeable.

Not really familiar with Smith. I'm not into it as much post Sinclair. I watched again today but kind of sad this tournament, without Sinclair.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Not sure if its choked. Pole Vault is extremely difficult and one of those things as you mention that can be the death of Decathlons. I have attended some Track and Field meets here with highest level competitors. Also University competitions at Foote Field. The one striking thing is how many times in practice that a jumper doesn't make a jump. Something, anything goes wrong with the approach, the angle, the pole placement, the bend, the..... Its like an activity where those so much potential fail baked right in. The kind of sport that would cause a lot of people to snap that pole into little bits. For sure I wouldn't have the patience for the discipline.

Are you melting in Phoenix? OT but how can you handle the heat there? Weren't you frying in Sask?

So glad the temp here has gone down to very enjoyable levels. 28C is fine. 40? I'm tapping out.
Not gonna lie, ya it’s hot. 🥵

It’s a dry heat though. ;)

Lots of time wearing a large straw hat and sitting the pool. Went for a walk with the dogs last night at 2:30am. Set an alarm and go otherwise they get no exercise.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah thats the reason Canada was miles better the moment the subs came in and fairly ran the game against Germany. With Heitama on Canada got next to nothing.

Huitema has basically stopped scoring since 2022 rarely scoring for Canada now and had nothing in this whole tournament. She wasn't even noticeable. Not sure what it is but her performances for Canada since 2022 are decidedly lukewarm. Maybe she's much different in her pro games which I don't watch.

Indeed since 2020 Jordyn has only 8 goals for Canada across 60 matches.

Sinclair was noticeable every match she ever played. Huitema with all kinds of hype as the heir replacement is not even a factor in the games.

Even the telecast was saying that Huitema had nothing going and the subs were necessary, and huge improvement.

I think the money and fame has gone to Huitema's head. She had another disappointing tournament for Canada. She doesn't even look like a starter at this point.
Huitema is significantly better the last year. She’s also playing high target and is better at it than Sinclair was the last 5 years. The team was better when they made the subs because they put on their team that was supposed to win them the game after the starters tired Germany out. The reason it didn’t work is likely because the captain got injured. Any more analysis you want to try your hand at?

Lacasse added very impressive pace on the flank. The difference was noticeable.

Not really familiar with Smith. I'm not into it as much post Sinclair. I watched again today but kind of sad this tournament, without Sinclair.
I think lacasse is nursing an injury. She didn’t open up her stride at all. Still a great option that Germany had a hard time dealing with. If she was 100% I think she would have ate them up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Huitema is significantly better the last year. She’s also playing high target and is better at it than Sinclair was the last 5 years. The team was better when they made the subs because they put on their team that was supposed to win them the game after the starters tired Germany out. The reason it didn’t work is likely because the captain got injured. Any more analysis you want to try your hand at?

I think lacasse is nursing an injury. She didn’t open up her stride at all. Still a great option that Germany had a hard time dealing with. If she was 100% I think she would have ate them up.
Sinclair was very old by the time she left and was lacking in pace, expectedly in her last years. So thats not much saying Huitema was better high target.

The team was better when they made the subs for the obvious reason that the subs were better than what Canada had on the pitch and again the broadcast repeatedly saying just that,. Fleming got injured at end of half. No excuse there for Huitema again getting nothing done. For a player that is supposed to be a superstar I'm not seeing it. She's not even among the best players for Canada.

i think its another case of a player listening to all the accolades and forgetting to get it done on the pitch. The worse thing about Huitema in 2024 is she's not even bringing it. Little pace, energy. She ran hard for one ball all game.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Sinclair was very old by the time she left and was lacking in pace, expectedly in her last years. So thats not much saying Huitema was better high target.

The team was better when they made the subs for the obvious reason that the subs were better than what Canada had on the pitch and again the broadcast repeatedly saying just that,. Fleming got injured at end of half. No excuse there for Huitema again getting nothing done. For a player that is supposed to be a superstar I'm not seeing it. She's not even among the best players for Canada.

i think its another case of a player listening to all the accolades and forgetting to get it done on the pitch. The worse thing about Huitema in 2024 is she's not even bringing it. Little pace, energy. She ran hard for one ball all game.
I guess we will disagree. As to the astuteness of the broadcast, I wouldn’t let them coach my 5 year old. I’m pretty sure they are partial to how priestman coached. For me the team looks 3 times better. I’m not sure why as I’m not on the room, but the forward passes don’t lie, much like hips.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Lots of time wearing a large straw hat and sitting the pool. Went for a walk with the dogs last night at 2:30am. Set an alarm and go otherwise they get no exercise.
None of my business but why would you go to your Arizona place in Start of August when the heat is unbearable? Could stay in Sask?

Couldn't pay me to be in Arizona. 9pm and its 43C in Phoenix. 46 tomorrow in the shade. My face is melting just typing that.

I guess we will disagree. As to the astuteness of the broadcast, I wouldn’t let them coach my 5 year old. I’m pretty sure they are partial to how priestman coached. For me the team looks 3 times better. I’m not sure why as I’m not on the room, but the forward passes don’t lie, much like hips.
I doubt the broadcast, or anybody are partial to Priestman and don't know why they would be. Canada showed some good ball possession and had some decent service at times. Albeit a lot of the success Canada had today was individual determinations to beat defenders and run Germany ragged. Canada had a lot of players that were really out there giving their all. I would say much more of that after the substitutions when Canada changed the direction the game was going, and possession as well.

Understand that I wasn't being hard on Huitema in anyway earlier in career. I was a fan. But since 2020 she's been a lot of nothing for Canada. Probably having huge problems as well with the supposed concept of her replacing Sinclair. nobody can or ever will. People wouldn't be frustrated with Jordyn not doing much if it was something new. This has been going on now several years.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
None of my business but why would you go to your Arizona place in Start of August when the heat is unbearable? Could stay in Sask?

Couldn't pay me to be in Arizona.

I doubt the broadcast, or anybody are partial to Priestman and don't know why they would be. Canada showed some good ball possession and had some decent service at times. Albeit a lot of the success Canada had today was individual determinations to beat defenders and run Germany ragged. Canada had a lot of players that were really out there giving their all. I would say much more of that after the substitutions when Canada changed the direction the game was going, and possession as well.
Drai, no offense it’s a fair question.

When we travel down, we have friends in Flagstaff (20 degrees cooler there) that we stop in and visit for a few days and a few here in PHX too. They are “elderly” (older than me but still fun to be with) and we like to see them and say hi, we usually go to a few ball games when we are here too and this year my wife and youngest and her boyfriend and their family are flying in from Edmonton on Tuesday and then are headed to Las Vegas to go see Morgan Wallen concert on Friday at the NFL stadium there, its a 4 hr drive.

We have someone who looks after the place when we are gone but I guess it’s my paranoia that says I should check in part way through the year just to see… definitely not necessary as the person is a great, dependable person.

When we get home it’s harvest time at the garden and canning etc..so it’s a good time to take a break.

You know it’s hot here but our place in saskie this year we have been 85F almost every day, and with the lake humidity it’s been exceptionally hot there too.

When I went to my daughters in Ft Sask 2 weeks ago it was also hot. It’s just blazing everywhere it seems.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
:handclap:

What an emotional victory for her. She was in tears after.
Yeah, I'm glad she won. She debuted in 2018 as an amateur with a record of 36-9 and didn't medal in 2020 in Tokyo. She get's attacked 7 years into her career as a female amateur. I initially though that it wasn't right but I educated myself about her and have come to a different conclusion. The attacking was brutal online. People feel safe doing it until there's litigation and I can guarantee she will go that route.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We are on the same schedule. We take the dog for a walk every night around 1AM. Another 40 degree day today, still 34 right now, to hot for my daily walk. Decided to drink instead. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Drai, no offense it’s a fair question.

When we travel down, we have friends in Flagstaff (20 degrees cooler there) that we stop in and visit for a few days and a few here in PHX too. They are “elderly” (older than me but still fun to be with) and we like to see them and say hi, we usually go to a few ball games when we are here too and this year my wife and youngest and her boyfriend and their family are flying in from Edmonton on Tuesday and then are headed to Las Vegas to go see Morgan Wallen concert on Friday at the NFL stadium there, its a 4 hr drive.

We have someone who looks after the place when we are gone but I guess it’s my paranoia that says I should check in part way through the year just to see… definitely not necessary as the person is a great, dependable person.

When we get home it’s harvest time at the garden and canning etc..so it’s a good time to take a break.

You know it’s hot here but our place in saskie this year we have been 85F almost every day, and with the lake humidity it’s been exceptionally hot there too.

When I went to my daughters in Ft Sask 2 weeks ago it was also hot. It’s just blazing everywhere it seems.
Its 20C right in our backyard sitting on the deck enjoying the sunset. heh. Thanks for the rundown. I think I don't drive much anymore compared to that kind of itinerary. Happy to live and be located in one place. That said my work life was so f***ing busy, and often a couple jobs going, so I just soak up the downtime in retirement.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They haven't released the medical testing done on this athlete. But one can assume if she has a history of high testosterone, which has been reported, and her gender exam came back XY, which has been alluded to. Then she has a high likelihood of having 5ARD, which means her body is missing a protein that makes the boy parts grow. So they present as female at birth but they have the male plumbing inside and go through male puberty.
I’m not going to post my opinion on all this but people referring to her previous ban need to understand that it was done by the IBA which is so f***ing corrupt that they are banned by the Olympics International Boxing Association loses appeal against International Olympic Committee decision
And if boxing as a whole doesn’t find a new international body, boxing is no longer an Olympic sport.
The testing on this athlete didn’t happen till after she beat a Russian athlete and the Russian run IBA banned her and said “we won’t say why or what our test was but the results mean she can’t fight”.

Boxing has been a mess for a long while and a previous ban means nothing as due to how corrupt the organization is. ESPECIALLY when they don’t state their testing method or what they looked for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium