GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Looks like Degrasse is in tough tomorrow but that's not unusual for the 100 meter run. Such intense competition separated by 1/10 of a second.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So tough for the Canadian Men's beach volleyball team, one of the members was too injured to continue to play.

That's so damn hard to make that call.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Warner choked on the pole vault and is out of medal contention.

Pole vault, where decathlons die.
Not sure if its choked. Pole Vault is extremely difficult and one of those things as you mention that can be the death of Decathlons. I have attended some Track and Field meets here with highest level competitors. Also University competitions at Foote Field. The one striking thing is how many times in practice that a jumper doesn't make a jump. Something, anything goes wrong with the approach, the angle, the pole placement, the bend, the..... Its like an activity where those so much potential fail baked right in. The kind of sport that would cause a lot of people to snap that pole into little bits. For sure I wouldn't have the patience for the discipline.

They are Canadian girls. I have 3 in my family. I can attest they are as tough as nails.

They got this.

Going to my fave sports bar here in Phoenix at 10 am and will be begging that they find the feed.
Are you melting in Phoenix? OT but how can you handle the heat there? Weren't you frying in Sask?

So glad the temp here has gone down to very enjoyable levels. 28C is fine. 40? I'm tapping out.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
What the heck happened to our rowing team? Only two boats qualified and no men. I'm surprised this isn't a story. We used to be so good.

Nice to the women's 8 repeat a medal.

Yep, we definitely aren't putting any effort into training for it these days. Good olympics otherwise, but it still feels like Canada has more to give.

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I worry that they’ll be mentally and physically exhausted from the group stage.
Twenty plus minutes in and they look exactly how you feared they would. Good news is they haven’t conceded a goal yet and hopefully they can pull out of it. They’re giving up a boatload of chances though so they need to snap out of it soon.

What the heck happened to our rowing team? Only two boats qualified and no men. I'm surprised this isn't a story. We used to be so good.

Nice to the women's 8 repeat a medal.
Yep, this team was the hi-lite of many Olympics for Canada.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Twenty plus minutes in and they look exactly how you feared they would. Good news is they haven’t conceded a goal yet and hopefully they can pull out of it. They’re giving up a boatload of chances though so they need to snap out of it soon.

Yep, this team was the hi-lite of many Olympics for Canada.
Germany with the run of play but horrible last touches, no finish. Canada look dangerous on the counter.

Terrible crowd in Marseille for a classic knockout game. This one would have over 50K crowd if played at Commonwealth Stadium.

Game has been enjoyable.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No, he did not record a successful pole vault, so he received no points. Basically that result eliminated him from contention.

An honest question but why wouldn’t he finish the event? I know he’s probably devastated but if everyone dropped out who wasn’t in contention wouldn’t there only be like 4-5 people competing at the end?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
An honest question but why wouldn’t he finish the event? I know he’s probably devastated but if everyone dropped out who wasn’t in contention wouldn’t there only be like 4-5 people competing at the end?
With the scoring and how close it is in Decathlon not getting a score in any single event fairly eliminates you from competition. For instance Warner dropped from 2nd to 18th place due to the DNF on Polevault.

Its the thing about the Decathlon you have to place and have scores in all events or you're done. Warner had no hope in the competition after the Polevault.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
With the scoring and how close it is in Decathlon not getting a score in any single event fairly eliminates you from competition. For instance Warner dropped from 2nd to 18th place due to the DNF on Polevault.

Its the thing about the Decathlon you have to place and have scores in all events or you're done. Warner had no hope in the competition after the Polevault.
I think the question was why not finish the event trying to do your best, like a champ, instead of just quitting.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium