GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I honestly haven't look at the standings. Just really been enjoying the athletes as individuals/teams performing well at this point.
It’s pretty impressive. A far cry from the days where we wouldn’t medal at all for the first 3-4 days.

I know there’s more events now but the medals we are winning so far have been in the traditional ones.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It’s pretty impressive. A far cry from the days where we wouldn’t medal at all for the first 3-4 days.

I know there’s more events now but the medals we are winning so far have been in the traditional ones.
They could win a medal for best paint drying watcher and I'd be happy.

Just nice to see all the smiles and I mean this Mcintosh is just something to be proud of.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canada could actually finish top 10 in medals, which would be pretty impressive.
It is and isn't. G7 countries tend to be there and have the resources and affluence to have strong programs and high performing athletes.

Canada is no longer a country with a small population. We're now 40M, much more than say Australia who haul in way more medals.

All of France, UK, Australia, Italy, South Korea are per capita doing better than us in medals. Only Germany, who must've dismantled their entire program due to economic cost of amalgamation with East Germany are doing far worse.

Canada being around top ten in medal count could even be considered an expected result.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Looking at the medals from every summer games, the best was in Los Angeles in 84 with a ridiculous 44 medals. It was also the year they brought the most athletes ever at 408. In the 27 Olympic Games Canada has been a part of (including Paris so far), they've only finished above 20 medals 5 times. The really cool thing though is 3 of the last 4 games they've finished with those said 20+ medals (not including Paris). So Canadian athletes are starting to definitely improve.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
There are a lot of wonderful stories of Canadian athletes doing well and perhaps exceeding expectations. I've taken a sabbatical from sports and not watching a whole lot. Summer in the Pool has been spectacular. What a gift. However the Womens Basketball team, what a disappointing performance. They lost to Australia last night and were outclassed most of the night. Other than the final score it wasn't close as the Aussies had double digit leads most of the game. Kia Nurse was abysmal shooting. Canada was abysmal defending. Take this in Canada has been competitive in basketball for some time and are border neighbors with the Basketball superpower, the US, and Canadian players get to play in top leagues against and with the best players. Canada has every advantage to Australia with respect to Basketball and yet get beat by them and probably out of tournament now having lost both games.

Canada was blown out by France and beaten fairly easily by Australia. Canada is supposed to be one of the top teams on the planet.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Looking at the medals from every summer games, the best was in Los Angeles in 84 with a ridiculous 44 medals. It was also the year they brought the most athletes ever at 408. In the 27 Olympic Games Canada has been a part of (including Paris so far), they've only finished above 20 medals 5 times. The really cool thing though is 3 of the last 4 games they've finished with those said 20+ medals (not including Paris). So Canadian athletes are starting to definitely improve.
Its really the only comparable as well as East block countries and Russia were also not at that Olympics. Meaning it was the best chance ever for Canadians at the podium. Which it is right now as well. Again I'll mention no East Germany now, and Germany not even being a factor at Olympics. They certainly were for a longtime. Podium is much more available now in current Olympics.

Also context is that MUCH MORE Olympic events occur now and much more medals. Canada population has also increased immensely so expectations can be higher. We should be ahead, particularly, of the Aussie program, our population is much higher. So medal counts doesn't tell much of a story. Would be a travesty now not to reach 20 medals.

Reactions: oilers'72 and grego

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There are a lot of wonderful stories of Canadian athletes doing well and perhaps exceeding expectations. I've taken a sabbatical from sports and not watching a whole lot. Summer in the Pool has been spectacular. What a gift. However the Womens Basketball team, what a disappointing performance. They lost to Australia last night and were outclassed most of the night. Other than the final score it wasn't close as the Aussies had double digit leads most of the game. Kia Nurse was abysmal shooting. Canada was abysmal defending. Take this in Canada has been competitive in basketball for some time and are border neighbors with the Basketball superpower, the US, and Canadian players get to play in top leagues against and with the best players. Canada has every advantage to Australia with respect to Basketball and yet get beat by them and probably out of tournament now having lost both games.

Canada was blown out by France and beaten fairly easily by Australia. Canada is supposed to be one of the top teams on the planet.
Canada has never been great at basketball so I'm not sure why you think that. Outside of the men's team winning in 1936 they've never been very competitive. The men's side has rarely even qualified for the Olympics much and the best the women's side has done was 4th. Generally they've not even been close to getting a medal. lol. That could change this year with the men's side killing it so far at Paris. Cross our fingers!

Reactions: joestevens29

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It is and isn't. G7 countries tend to be there and have the resources and affluence to have strong programs and high performing athletes.

Canada is no longer a country with a small population. We're now 40M, much more than say Australia who haul in way more medals.

All of France, UK, Australia, Italy, South Korea are per capita doing better than us in medals. Only Germany, who must've dismantled their entire program due to economic cost of amalgamation with East Germany are doing far worse.

Canada being around top ten in medal count could even be considered an expected result.
Canada are also the only country in that group with 3.5 months of summer weather every year and with the majority of the country landlocked without easy access to coastlines.

We’re doing well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Just using the top Basketball league on the planet as a yardstick Canada should be no worse than 2nd in mens basketball. We've had the 2nd most NBA players either now, or alltime.

Its not even close. Only France is even in the conversation along with Canada.

AS far as the Womans program I've followed for a longwhile and maybe its local hype but the Canadian Women were expected to be on a halcyon ride for years and the current crew have disappointed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I believe the LA games were an aberration because the USSR boycotted and wasn’t there.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canada are also the only country in that group with 3.5 months of summer weather every year and with the majority of the country landlocked without easy access to coastlines.

We’re doing well.
3.5mths of summer?

Look, most summer Olympic sports training outdoors can occur easily for 6mths of the year. We also have outstanding indoor facilities and among the best on the planet for pretty much all sports.

Next, whenever this argument is made it forgets that many regions of the world several months of the year are too hot to train. Canada could be considered almost an ideal country in which to be an athlete and ideally suited for Winter or Summer. I don't buy the argument that climate in a temperate region is a huge disadvantage.

Not sure how the coastlines argument even features. Did this prevent Russia from being an Olympics Superpower, or East Germany. etc.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
3.5mths of summer?

Look, most summer Olympic sports training outdoors can occur easily for 6mths of the year. We also have outstanding indoor facilities and among the best on the planet for pretty much all sports.

Next, whenever this argument is made it forgets that many regions of the world several months of the year are too hot to train. Canada could be considered almost an ideal country in which to be an athlete and ideally suited for Winter or Summer. I don't buy the argument that climate in a temperate region is a huge disadvantage.

Not sure how the coastlines argument even features. Did this prevent Russia from being an Olympics Superpower, or East Germany. etc.
Canada have traditionally underfunded our athletes in comparison to the countries you mentioned. The combination of climate, geography and funding makes it harder for our athletes in comparison to other top countries.

We are doing well all things considered.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Its really the only comparable as well as East block countries and Russia were also not at that Olympics. Meaning it was the best chance ever for Canadians at the podium. Which it is right now as well. Again I'll mention no East Germany now, and Germany not even being a factor at Olympics. They certainly were for a longtime. Podium is much more available now in current Olympics.

Also context is that MUCH MORE Olympic events occur now and much more medals. Canada population has also increased immensely so expectations can be higher. We should be ahead, particularly, of the Aussie program, our population is much higher. So medal counts doesn't tell much of a story. Would be a travesty now not to reach 20 medals.
But what is interesting is the amount of athletes participating hasn't gone up. I would have to look at all the new events added in the last say 20 years and athletes Canada has in those new events to see but I would guess it isn't that much. Canada is still winning the majority of their medals in the same traditional events.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canada have traditionally underfunded our athletes in comparison to the countries you mentioned. The combination of climate, geography and funding makes it harder for our athletes in comparison to other top countries.

We are doing well all things considered.
The funding counts are usually bs because they don't take into account Canada having some of the best facilities on the planet. Canada as much or more than any country on Earth builds rec facilities, even for popular use, for everybody, that are gold standard facilities.

Canada's indoor facilities so good that South American Football teams have fairly routinely stayed here to train in our facilities when playing exhibitions/. tournaments here and such. Just as example.

Just in the City of Edmonton alone we have so many World Class training facilities and starting with places like Kinsmen. Most countries in world have less facilities than Edmonton or Alberta alone have. Of course training facilities and world class facilities are part of the convo of what we can expect, and should be. Few nations on Earth build so many of these fantastic facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium