GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Archery, beach volleyball, table tennis, and rugby 7s are the sports I don't usually watch and I have enjoyed watching these Olympics.

Road bike races and race walking were tough to watch. The former because of the weather and the latter because everyone was cheating (very arbitrary standards).

The beach volleyball and equestrian venues are amazing. The person who designed the equestrian cross country course really leaned into the Versailles Palace theme and nailed it.

Cmon. I know the real reason you like beach volleyball.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’m watching more than I thought I would but it’s still in bits and pieces. I find it hard to find the sport you want to watch. I like the rowing and swimming races, track and gymnastics but any competition is fun to watch. Hell I was hooked on marble races during Covid FFS.

The Gem app lists each sport, and you just go to that link, go to whatever day you want to watch, pick the match, and away you go.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’m watching more than I thought I would but it’s still in bits and pieces. I find it hard to find the sport you want to watch. I like the rowing and swimming races, track and gymnastics but any competition is fun to watch. Hell I was hooked on marble races during Covid FFS.

Haha what a throwback marble racing is.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I only look at results. I avoid watching cbc out of my own principle. It is a useless dinosaur that can be eliminated and all of its value to current society can be filled by global, CTV, various social media

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Its simple shes a biological Female with the boosted traits of a male since she has the XY chromosome.

She had no biz being allowed to compete against Females
Except she has her entire life. Including previous Olympics, where she hasn't won. I could see the concern if she was actually out there dominating the competition, but she's not. She has only ever had one governing body take issue with her before. And as I said, she isn't exactly dominant.

I don't know what the answer is. But I don't think it's as simple of an issue as many are making it out to be. It isn't simple at all.

IBA banned them for being males

IOC only looks at passport for gender. (IOC stopped chromosome testing in 99)
IBA is the only boxing entity to have banned her though. She's been boxing against females since childhood apparently.

Reactions: oilers'72

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
XY chromosome means that you are a male. Full stop.

I am all about protecting women...apparently the IOC cares more about being politically correct than it does about the well being of women atheltes.
I sincerly hope that it doesnt happen but its very likely that a woman is going to get seriously hurt if this nonsense is allowed to continue.
Why is the chromosome makeup more important than the other biological factors?

Why wasn't this an issue 4 years ago when she competed?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So if you don't keep your hands up, you'll get rocked in boxing, as I understand it. No amount of tears after will change this reality.

Also, Canada gets a bronze on trampoline,

Alcaraz destroyed Felix Auger-Aliassime in the semis. Auger-Aliassime has been playing great, but Alcaraz is on another planet with the level he's playing at right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why is the chromosome makeup more important than the other biological factors?

Why wasn't this an issue 4 years ago when she competed?
Probably was, but people forget everything a week after the olympics finish.

Just like Summer Mcintosh. All of a sudden people remember her, but completely forgot who she was since last olympics.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Probably was, but people forget everything a week after the olympics finish.

Just like Summer Mcintosh. All of a sudden people remember her, but completely forgot who she was since last olympics.

I miss the old ABC Wide World of Sports where they’d cover many different disciplines of sports and athletics.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I miss the old ABC Wide World of Sports where they’d cover many different disciplines of sports and athletics.
Sometimes I don't miss shit like that. I already watch too much sports lol
It's because they did a gender test on those athletes. They aren't trans, they are DSD or intersex. This boxer identifies as a woman and has been socialized as a woman, but she is biologically male (xy) because she has internal testes. This means she produces testosterone at male levels and has gone through male puberty. Testosterone is the driving force behind athletic performance.

It's the same issue that Caster Semenya encountered. Unfortunate for the athlete to deal with that level of scrutiny but if we look at it at the scientific level, it is fair to say that allowing this athlete to compete is unfair for biological women (xx) because even women who produce higher level testosterone on average, do not come close to producing at the same levels as men.

There's a lot of misinformation going around with people saying things like oh, she's just producing higher levels of testosterone. While true, they aren't saying it's because she's gone through male puberty.

And yes, it appears she has lost a number of times before but that really isn't the discussion. The discussion is whether or not these athletes have an unfair advantage over biological female competitiors. We also need to remember that categorize athletics for a reason. If there was no female category, women would never win. It's the same reason why they are weight classes in boxing and why we events like the Paralympics.

Really this a failing on the IOC for allowing this to happen again. Canadian Melissa Bishop lost in 2016 to three DSD competitors.
Nothing will change IMO until something truly disastrous happens. Never proactive on shit like this.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005

Nothing will change IMO until something truly disastrous happens. Never proactive on shit like this.
Agreed. Things only change after the fact. World Athletics and Swimming only changed the rules after their respective controversies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So if you don't keep your hands up, you'll get rocked in boxing, as I understand it. No amount of tears after will change this reality.

Also, Canada gets a bronze on trampoline,

Alcaraz destroyed Felix Auger-Aliassime in the semis. Auger-Aliassime has been playing great, but Alcaraz is on another planet with the level he's playing at right now.

If you are completely out matched you are getting rocked anyways.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It's because they did a gender test on those athletes. They aren't trans, they are DSD or intersex. This boxer identifies as a woman and has been socialized as a woman, but she is biologically male (xy) because she has internal testes. This means she produces testosterone at male levels and has gone through male puberty. Testosterone is the driving force behind athletic performance.

It's the same issue that Caster Semenya encountered. Unfortunate for the athlete to deal with that level of scrutiny but if we look at it at the scientific level, it is fair to say that allowing this athlete to compete is unfair for biological women (xx) because even women who produce higher level testosterone on average, do not come close to producing at the same levels as men.

There's a lot of misinformation going around with people saying things like oh, she's just producing higher levels of testosterone. While true, they aren't saying it's because she's gone through male puberty.

And yes, it appears she has lost a number of times before but that really isn't the discussion. The discussion is whether or not these athletes have an unfair advantage over biological female competitiors. We also need to remember that categorize athletics for a reason. If there was no female category, women would never win. It's the same reason why they are weight classes in boxing and why we events like the Paralympics.

Really this a failing on the IOC for allowing this to happen again. Canadian Melissa Bishop lost in 2016 to three DSD competitors.

Is there a source on this?

Everything that I’ve read indicates that people with this type of genetic disorder do not have functioning ovaries or testes. They have what’s called gonadal streaks.

I don’t mean to be confrontational, I’m just honestly curious.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed. Things only change after the fact. World Athletics and Swimming only changed the rules after their respective controversies.
Big difference being combative sports the disastrous results are far worse than just an unfair advantage

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The only part I don't miss is the bowling. That I could never get into because you'd never see them smoking a dart with a beer in the other hand like was the norm in every bowling alley back then.

But they did show a lot of athletics and Olympic type sports which was pretty cool. Nothing like seeing a juiced up Soviet runner blowing away the competition or an East German man woman clean and jerking 1850lbs.

• Haha

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The only part I don't miss is the bowling. That I could never get into because you'd never see them smoking a dart with a beer in the other hand like was the norm in every bowling alley back then.

But they did show a lot of athletics and Olympic type sports which was pretty cool. Nothing like seeing a juiced up Soviet runner blowing away the competition or an East German man woman clean and jerking 1850lbs.
Speaking of darts I saw on instagram yesterday what could be John Daly's mom golfing smoking a dart. I watched the video for far too long lol

Sometimes I wish they showed golf the way me and my buddies do on a nice Saturday afternoon.

Maybe it's already on ESPN Ocho, they had weird shit last time I watched that channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium