GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
There's very little tactical benefit to spying on a practice. You gain nothing that you can't get from watching the last ten games or so from the team.

It's stupid by the coaching staff, because there is no actual benefit and only downsides.

When the US team did it in Qatar, there was no punishment.
I’m watching practice, you can determine how they are setting up for corner kicks, how they break out offensively - do they lean towards short or long distance kicks to move the ball out, and really any other strategic changes that they may make from prior games.

But agreed, the reality is that in the eve of competition it’s doubtful that they are making wholesale changes to their game structure from past matches, so the value of spying is minimal.

As for the fairness of the penalty, it’s FIFA. That’s all that needs to be said (since we can’t mention politics no sense talking anymore about FIFA).

Stade de France going nuts after the French try against Fiji in the gold medal game. Never knew how much the French loved rugby until a watched a World Cup with my friends at their house.

I also love how rugby refs are mic'd up and you can listen to them explain every decision in real time.
Tim Peel hates it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Stade de France going nuts after the French try against Fiji in the gold medal game. Never knew how much the French loved rugby until a watched a World Cup with my friends at their house.

I also love how rugby refs are mic'd up and you can listen to them explain every decision in real time.
Every ref should be miked up all the time.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
French win their first gold medal of the Olympics by beating previously undefeated Fiji in rugby on home turf in front of 80k cheering fans. Great moment!

Amazing strategy by the French coaches. They bring in Antoine Dupont, a "closer" type player, with 5 minutes left and he plays at 100% while everyone else is tired. He scores/assists on 3 straight tries to take a 7-7 game to a 26-7 win.

Not following it at all, but a good medal in a team sport a day after the opening ceremonies? Did the tourney start well before the official games opening?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not following it at all, but a good medal in a team sport a day after the opening ceremonies? Did the tourney start well before the official games opening?
Yes, with the addition of more team sports to the Olympics (e.g., rugby 7s) the organizers have had to expand the total number of competition days for certain sports. Otherwise, the number of venues and resources (e.g., dorms) required over only 16 days would be untenable.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Canadian Women's Soccer punished severely by FiFA. 6 point deduction in the standing among other sanctions. Essentially , the team is out of contention.
Yep, pretty much just showing up and playing the tournament for experience now.

I still can’t get over the level of stupidity involved in thinking you could go into the most secure city in the world right now and fly a drone over a stadium and think nobody is going to notice. That they’re Canadian is just as embarrassing to me as the cheating itself.

I wonder where this program goes from here. Both the men’s and women’s programs have been in disputes over compensation for the players. There is animosity here already and now the players have had a once in four years opportunity snatched away from them through no fault of their own. I can see them having a difficult time getting players to play after this. Soccer Canada is in need of a complete dismantling just as badly as Hockey Canada did. It’s corrupt to its core and that can’t continue any longer.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Thank god for the Olympics. I’d forgotten how much I ”enjoy” watching gambling advertisements at every break in the action.

Oh and now I know what Dan O’Toole has been up to since he got pumped from TSN. Nothing.
We would have remembered in just a few months when the NHL season begins and all the show shill for the fun of gambling

Reactions: brentashton

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Shockingly FIFA gets it right when cracking down on spying, unlike the NFL. Feel terrible for the players, if they truly did not know anything about the coaches' actions.
We’ll see how much the players knew going forward. 17 members of the men’s team have come forward already saying they viewed footage of a Honduras practice leading up to a World Cup qualifying game in August 2021. I suspect the players have known but didn’t have any choice in the matter. Not sure they can be blamed when the rot runs as deep as it appears to here but I guess we’ll see.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
We are in a day when you should have been able to know how an opponent played on friendlies. Which I am sure is easy stuff to find. Then video and scout reports of the top players in other leagues.

It is not like national teams use incredibly advanced strategies in any sport of it is a team that only has a short time together. If the players are also in pro leagues they have to go with a simple and short play book that can be taught and implemented quickly

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Isn't this unprecedented in team sports? I've never seen anything like it. I've seen individuals sanctioned but not complete teams getting a 6pt deduction, essentially thrown out of tournament, because its impossible for the Gold Medal defending champs to now advance.

But not just a blight on the individuals that were behind they spying but on Soccer Canada for continuing to hire such imbeciles. Or for being composed of imbeciles hiring like minded...

some solace I guess that Christine Sinclair is retired and doesn't have to be around this debacle. Nobody deserves this.
I’ve seen European teams sanctioned points in league play for infractions.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The NHL should do that with their refs.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
Isn't this unprecedented in team sports? I've never seen anything like it. I've seen individuals sanctioned but not complete teams getting a 6pt deduction, essentially thrown out of tournament, because its impossible for the Gold Medal defending champs to now advance.

But not just a blight on the individuals that were behind they spying but on Soccer Canada for continuing to hire such imbeciles. Or for being composed of imbeciles hiring like minded...

some solace I guess that Christine Sinclair is retired and doesn't have to be around this debacle. Nobody deserves this.
Well, at least the women's team can get a new coach. Very unimpressive performance from Priestman at the World Cup last summer and wrong of her to throw her staff under the bus. Also, stupid to fly a drone where it is banned. Amateur hour from the staff.

The punishment of a six point deduction still too harsh. If this was the usa team, perhaps there is no punishment. Here though, we get media saying this is the darkest day in our sporting history since Ben Johnson and how the gold medal should be taken away. Just utter ridiculous takes from people who have obviously never played the game themselves.

Let us not forget that pretty much everyone does it but our stupid staff just happened to get caught. It's a real nothingburger. If the six point deduction means this ends, then maybe you just accept it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The medals look normal this time so that’s good. I was wondering if France was going to cheap out again like they did for the Albertville Olympics.

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I still think they’ll appeal and get it reduced to a 3 point deduction.

But everything is going to be tainted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad