GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I can tell you a lot more about neighboring Jordan and the Palestinian territories. CBC mentioned Iraq not having female atheletes yet there were several other countries not having female atheletes. Point I'm making is for the media to stop being hypocrites. There's no room for these comments in the Olympics anyhow.
I won’t get into it. Fair enough. Yes I agree our media is crap.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Josh Liendo, Canadian 100m freestyle ace, with a great anchor leg to propel Canada into the 4x100m freestyle finals.

Still think swimming has too many distances given that they also have 4 strokes at each distance. Guess the Olympics organizers like more gold medal races, but the track people get screwed in comparison.

Reactions: oilers'72

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Fans in the stands at beach volleyball look like they are sitting around the campfire on a May long weekend.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Having lived in France for a few years, it was very French and that's the point. I enjoyed it.

Equestrian at Versailles this morning has been a beautiful venue for the event.
The official youtube version of the opening ceremonies had to be removed from youtube.
The worldwide reponse was absolute disgust.
It got ratioed big time.
Mocking a religion isnt going over very well...nor should it.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Canadian Women's Soccer punished severely by FiFA. 6 point deduction in the standing among other sanctions. Essentially , the team is out of contention.
Shockingly FIFA gets it right when cracking down on spying, unlike the NFL. Feel terrible for the players, if they truly did not know anything about the coaches' actions.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
Shockingly FIFA gets it right when cracking down on spying, unlike the NFL. Feel terrible for the players, if they truly did not know anything about the coaches' actions.
A six point deduction is ridiculous. Three points would be fair. It's a stupid move by the coaching staff but there is little tactical benefit to spying on a practice and other teams do it all the time. The Canadian media comparing it to Ben Johnson or saying how this taints their gold medal, just shows how little they know.

I feel bad for the ladies.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Wish our men's swimming team had somebody decent other than Josh Liendo. But he is an absolute stud and should propel the men's side forward for at least the next 8 years.

Liendo had a quicker split than Dressel in the final leg of the 100 free relay.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I hope they didn't know but If a coach presents a very specific strategy to their players vs their next opponent, I would think that players would naturally question why and where did that information come from.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
A six point deduction is ridiculous. Three points would be fair. It's a stupid move by the coaching staff but there is little tactical benefit to spying on a practice and other teams do it all the time. The Canadian media comparing it to Ben Johnson or saying how this taints their gold medal, just shows how little they know.

I feel bad for the ladies.
Six is crazy. Three would punish them for the game they win with the spying. Why take another game from them. It’s basically a punishment of the athletes who weren’t involved. FIFA bias at its best here.

Reactions: AM and oilers'72

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
I hope they didn't know but If a coach presents a very specific strategy to their players vs their next opponent, I would think that players would naturally question why and where did that information come from.
There's very little tactical benefit to spying on a practice. You gain nothing that you can't get from watching the last ten games or so from the team.

It's stupid by the coaching staff, because there is no actual benefit and only downsides.

When the US team did it in Qatar, there was no punishment.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Stade de France going nuts after the French try against Fiji in the gold medal game. Never knew how much the French loved rugby until a watched a World Cup with my friends at their house.

I also love how rugby refs are mic'd up and you can listen to them explain every decision in real time.

Reactions: Valhallis

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Was the can team very competitive? I pay little attention to soccer.

If they were it also is odd if it won't make a big difference to hit Canada hard, as if the team did well it would boost the game some more on Canada.

But maybe the ioc doesn't care about growing the game.

If they wanted a harsh penalty affect some tournament or something like that which has less interest

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Was the can team very competitive? I pay little attention to soccer.

If they were it also is odd if it won't make a big difference to hit Canada hard, as if the team did well it would boost the game some more on Canada.

But maybe the ioc doesn't care about growing the game.

If they wanted a harsh penalty affect some tournament or something like that which has less interest

Our women won the gold medal only three years ago in Tokyo

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
French win their first gold medal of the Olympics by beating previously undefeated Fiji in rugby on home turf in front of 80k cheering fans. Great moment!

Amazing strategy by the French coaches. They bring in Antoine Dupont, a "closer" type player, with 5 minutes left and he plays at 100% while everyone else is tired. He scores/assists on 3 straight tries to take a 7-7 game to a 26-7 win.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canadian Women's Soccer punished severely by FiFA. 6 point deduction in the standing among other sanctions. Essentially , the team is out of contention.
Isn't this unprecedented in team sports? I've never seen anything like it. I've seen individuals sanctioned but not complete teams getting a 6pt deduction, essentially thrown out of tournament, because its impossible for the Gold Medal defending champs to now advance.

But not just a blight on the individuals that were behind they spying but on Soccer Canada for continuing to hire such imbeciles. Or for being composed of imbeciles hiring like minded...

some solace I guess that Christine Sinclair is retired and doesn't have to be around this debacle. Nobody deserves this.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My guess is Canada will appeal the FIFA decision and have it reduced to 3 points. FIFA likely decided on 6 points because they know it’ll be reduced on appeal.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
French win their first gold medal of the Olympics by beating previously undefeated Fiji in rugby on home turf in front of 80k cheering fans. Great moment!

Amazing strategy by the French coaches. They bring in Antoine Dupont, a "closer" type player, with 5 minutes left and he plays at 100% while everyone else is tired. He scores/assists on 3 straight tries to take a 7-7 game to a 26-7 win.
Dupont looks like he was genetically created in a top-secret French rugby lab. Guy is a beast! Fun match to watch!

Reactions: Frank the Tank
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad