Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Already off to a rough start.

Last night a coordinated attack on the high speed rail networks leading into Paris stopping all TGV trains other than the southern line. Even Eurostar from London cancelling 25% of its planned service.

Islamic terrorists threatening to disrupt the games. 75.000 police, soldiers and security deployed.

Thefts against the Argentine and Australian teams.

Canada soccer drone scandal.

And it’s supposed to rain for the opening ceremonies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Last night a coordinated attack on the high speed rail networks leading into Paris stopping all TGV trains other than the southern line. Even Eurostar from London cancelling 25% of its planned service.

Islamic terrorists threatening to disrupt the games. 75.000 police, soldiers and security deployed.

You just talked me into watching.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Summer Olympics and even Winter to a lesser when it doesn't have nhl players... Are rarely hyped. Or even worth watching imo.

A lot of standing around/waiting for eventually either too long or short a spectacle. Often taking place while you are working.

Olympics are such a massive organizational nightmare without all the issues noted above. I am honestly surprised in this day and age the Olympics just aren't scrapped. Aren't they typically bad economically for the hosting countries in the long run as well?

Reactions: oilers'72

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Weirdly almost no hype at all for this and it starts in 12 hours lol.

Canada off to a scandalous start with the soccer spygate.
I wonder if the lack of hype is because of the streaming world we live in. Depending on the streaming services you have, you're kind of in a bubble. And if you don't have an NBC-associated service, you're not going to see any advertising for it.

At least that's how it is for me here in the States, as someone who has cut the cord to cable.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Always a fun time. Biggest sporting event in the world. And so much more exciting (and representative) than the quite-boring-in-comparison Winter games.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if the lack of hype is because of the streaming world we live in. Depending on the streaming services you have, you're kind of in a bubble. And if you don't have an NBC-associated service, you're not going to see any advertising for it.

At least that's how it is for me here in the States, as someone who has cut the cord to cable.
The problem I find especially in Edmonton is there isn't a whole pile of people that are experts on the amateur sports.

Gregor did do a decent job lately and even yesterday talking with a guest about some of our athletes to watch.

But up until yesterday I completely forgot about Summer McIntosh who is only 17 and broke onto the scene last Olympics, only to have records and golds at other worlds since.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Summer Olympics and even Winter to a lesser when it doesn't have nhl players... Are rarely hyped. Or even worth watching imo.

A lot of standing around/waiting for eventually either too long or short a spectacle. Often taking place while you are working.

Olympics are such a massive organizational nightmare without all the issues noted above. I am honestly surprised in this day and age the Olympics just aren't scrapped. Aren't they typically bad economically for the hosting countries in the long run as well?
Yeah, every host city loses a ton of money. Mostly because of all the temporary venues they have to build that cost millions of dollars but are only used for a few weeks.

It's gotten so bad that the only city who bid for the 2034 Winter Games was Salt Lake City and 6 IOC members actually voted against it, lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, every host city loses a ton of money. Mostly because of all the temporary venues they have to build that cost millions of dollars but are only used for a few weeks.

It's gotten so bad that the only city who bid for the 2034 Winter Games was Salt Lake City and 6 IOC members actually voted against it, lol.
Seems like after every olympics there is talk for a few months about just having a handful of Cities that will be the hosts for the rest of time so that it makes sense to put that money into venues, but then the talks disappear.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Let's face it. Each generation sport/athleticism just becomes less important/interested. The high end athletes seem more and more exclusive to wealthy families as well.

As the masses move towards more online entertainment the future of the Olympics seems a matter of when not if it will be canceled. I am kind of surprised major sports are thriving in the current environment.

Edit: Maybe we end up with E-Olympics down the road to satisfy the intercontinental rivalries.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Gee, who saw this coming...

I feel sorry for the Athletes being forced to go to the worst conceived possible spots. I wouldn't even visit Paris now with what its become.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Ha ha

And they were USOC delegates that live in Utah. They know the real cost to the Games. :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Always a fun time. Biggest sporting event in the world. And so much more exciting (and representative) than the quite-boring-in-comparison Winter games.
Real strange thing to say on a hockey board. I far prefer the Winter Olympics and find more of the events interesting.

I'm sure not interested in any equestrian events, or steeplechase, or the vast majority of track and field. Basically people watch the 100M at forgo much of the rest. The marathon, try watching the entirety of that sometime. You could watch only the last 30secs and not miss anything. Pretty much why the only part of the Marathon that occurs in the Olympic stadium and is even watchable is the last lap. f*** Chariots of fire and that sick ear worm sound track. I thought it was a comedy.

If I have insomnia and need sleep I watch the summer Olympics. Haven't even mentioned the pool events. Diving, 5KM drowning event, lol waterpolo, or real polo, or field hockey. yuck. Basically if there aren't any Canadians competing I can't even avoid changing the channel. Usually I just watch the packaged highlights later and FF thru those.

I'll probably watch the Soccer and some of the basketball but just if its on. For sure its not must watch. Not even watching the Opening Ceremonies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Real strange thing to say on a hockey board. I far prefer the Winter Olympics and find more of the events interesting.

I'm sure not interested in any equestrian events, or steeplechase, or the vast majority of track and field. Basically people watch the 100M at forgo much of the rest. The marathon, try watching the entirety of that sometime. You could watch only the last 30secs and not miss anything. Pretty much why the only part of the Marathon that occurs in the Olympic stadium and is even watchable is the last lap. f*** Chariots of fire and that sick ear worm sound track. I thought it was a comedy.

If I have insomnia and need sleep I watch the summer Olympics. Haven't even mentioned the pool events. Diving, 5KM drowning event, lol waterpolo, or real polo, or field hockey. yuck. Basically if there aren't any Canadians competing I can't even avoid changing the channel. Usually I just watch the packaged highlights later and FF thru those.

I'll probably watch the Soccer and some of the basketball but just if its on. For sure its not must watch. Not even watching the Opening Ceremonies.
So your not a fan of the male synchronized swimming events (not that there’s anything wrong with that)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad