OT: Paris Olympics 2024 - Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade Thread

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I get so pumped for Summer McIntosh races. So seldom does Canada have an athlete that is so freaking dominant. She’s only 17, f***ing incredible. I can’t wait for her race today.

I’m not sure what age swimmers typically peak, but I’m guessing 17 isn’t it. She is a superstar.
I'll say 20-24 is the peak usually. I find it quite amusing when the commentator said that Masse stopped progressing when McKeown and Smith continued to progress during the 200m backstroke final. Masse is 28 years old and this was probably her last olympics, the other two are 23 and 22 years old...

Note that injuries can be a factor, see Penny Olesiak only being on the freestyle relay at Paris at 24 years old (which finished 4th) after coming back from 2 years of rehabilitating injuries/surgery.

Swimmers like Phelps and Ledecky who dominate at a very young age and still dominate 4 Olympics later aren't that commons.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'll say 20-24 is the peak usually. I find it quite amusing when the commentator said that Masse stopped progressing when McKeown and Smith continued to progress during the 200m backstroke final. Masse is 28 years old and this was probably her last olympics, the other two are 23 and 22 years old...

Note that injuries can be a factor, see Penny Olesiak only being on the freestyle relay at Paris at 24 years old (which finished 4th) after coming back from 2 years of rehabilitating injuries/surgery.

Swimmers like Phelps and Ledecky who dominate at a very young age and still dominate 4 Olympics later aren't that commons.
It's such a shame how injuries have just decimated her. Before Olympic qualifiying. I still hoped that she'd bounce back. Can you imagine a healthy Penny and Summer on this team?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Interesting. I was wondering what happened to Oleksiak but never bothered to look up. Too bad.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Girls with Swyer syndrome have an XY chromosomal makeup (as boys normally do) instead of an XX chromosomal makeup (as girls normally do). Despite having the XY chromosomal makeup, girls with Swyer syndrome look female and have functional female genitalia and structures including a vagina, uterus and fallopian tubes.

She is a woman. The IBA CEO made an arbitrary decision on his own after she beat a Russian boxer. It’s a corrupt organization. It would be akin to banning a boxer because they have abnormally long arms.
Incorrect. She is a man who has Swyer Syndrome. It's unfortunate for her but she is what, 1 in a million?

Sometimes, life is not fair.. however i feel the bare minimum level of fairness must start and end with a clear line... xx is a woman, xy is a man..
The rest is a genetic gift from god.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium