OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
So BC, Winnipeg, and Toronto are on a different level than the rest of the league. You could tell it was over after Calgarys first possession. VA3 looked on point and Calgary went 2 and out. You just knew we had them from the first set of possessions.

Seeing the Lions react to Rourkes clip on the big screen was awesome. They were hyyyyped. The crowd went wild too.

The announced attendance was 20,000 and change. I'd say considering a lot of the boomer generation was next door seeing Rod Stewart, that's a pretty good number for a low hype game. Hell even last season I remember after the season opener, the attendance dipped to 15k. Its not packed every night but there isn't any giant gaps of empty seats like there used to be.

Also met Lui Passaglia again. He couldn't be a nicer guy if he tried. A true gem.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The Jags have leaned into him big-time, tweeting out this photo and then making it their profile picture. :laugh:

F3XziwHWUAAWiW3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if Rourke can carve out a 'Kurt Warner' kind of career in the NFL., An undrafted player who kicked around the NFL before the Packers game him a chance.

There's always one guy who comes along and beats all of the odds to become a quality NFL starter.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder if Rourke can carve out a 'Kurt Warner' kind of career in the NFL., An undrafted player who kicked around the NFL before the Packers game him a chance.

There's always one guy who comes along and beats all of the odds to become a quality NFL starter.

We should probably hold off on the HOF player comparisons

Reactions: Bgav

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He landed with Jax. And they have their franchise QB. He's not displacing him unless Lawrence turns into the Wentz, both on and off the field to alienate his teammates.

Rourke, step 1 is to beat up CJ Beathead for the backup role. Not sure if HC Pederson wants to keep 3 QBs on the main roster. Only, if it's a young unproven QB that the team has high hopes for, that they would keep an extra QB since the kid may not be fully ready to backup. Not the case with Jax since they have Lawrence and he's their guy.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Didn’t the Packers distinctly not give him a chance? He got cut, went through his famous shelf-stocking and Arena League phase before getting Hašeked into action in St. Louis in 1999 due to injury.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn’t the Packers distinctly not give him a chance? He got cut, went through his famous shelf-stocking and Arena League phase before getting Hašeked into action in St. Louis in 1999 due to injury.
The Packers QB room when Warner was at that camp was Favre, Brunell and Detmer. Pretty much no shot with the careers the last 2 had at UW and BYU. Brunell went onto to be a very good starter for Jax and Detmer was a solid backup for many years. Warner was a 1 year starter at Northern Iowa.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He landed with Jax. And they have their franchise QB. He's not displacing him unless Lawrence turns into the Wentz, both on and off the field to alienate his teammates.

Rourke, step 1 is to beat up CJ Beathead for the backup role. Not sure if HC Pederson wants to keep 3 QBs on the main roster. Only, if it's a young unproven QB that the team has high hopes for, that they would keep an extra QB since the kid may not be fully ready to backup. Not the case with Jax since they have Lawrence and he's their guy.
Still curious about why Rourke and his agent chose the Jags....I guess they must have come up with the best deal and most security. But still a curious choice.

For all the reasons you've outlined, his path to the starting job in Jacksonville seems to be blocked. And there are so many other QB-challenged teams in the NFL.

But I guess the thinking is that if he can't win the job in Jacksonville, there's always 31 other NFL teams that might give him a shot if he ever ends up waivers. But of course the danger is that he ends up on the practice roster and takes few or any reps for an entire season.

Yet this is Nathan Rourke we're talking about.......he's systematically kicked down every door that seemed to bar him.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Still curious about why Rourke and his agent chose the Jags....I guess they must have come up with the best deal and most security. But still a curious choice.

He already explained why he chose the Jags and it's not why you are saying. Further, his reasons are so far coming out correct as he was told he would get an opportunity to compete for the #2 job and that's what he's doing. The team also only has 3 rostered QBs in the pre-season (many teams have 4) which is giving him lots of opportunity to show his skills in training camp and pre-season.

Hope at this point is that he can have another good showing this weekend and make him impossible to cut.

The Alberta teams being so Goddamn weak coming out of the pandemic has me worried about the league.

The league has been in trouble for awhile and is in year 6 with a delusional commissioner who will probably continue to help trend the league downward. The situation in Edmonton seems self-inflicted but what's happened in Calgary is a bit more surprising, at least to someone like myself looking from the outside.

Reactions: Fatass

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He already explained why he chose the Jags and it's not why you are saying. Further, his reasons are so far coming out correct as he was told he would get an opportunity to compete for the #2 job and that's what he's doing. The team also only has 3 rostered QBs in the pre-season (many teams have 4) which is giving him lots of opportunity to show his skills in training camp and pre-season.

Hope at this point is that he can have another good showing this weekend and make him impossible to cut.

The league has been in trouble for awhile and is in year 6 with a delusional commissioner who will probably continue to help trend the league downward. The situation in Edmonton seems self-inflicted but what's happened in Calgary is a bit more surprising, at least to someone like myself looking from the outside.
If you know anything about Nathan Rourke, he didn't go of the NFL for a shot at being 'No. 2'. He spent two years in B.C. itching and determined to be a starting QB. And I doubt he settles for anything less in the NFL.

Problem is in Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence is the fair-haired wonder-kind at QB. Drafted first overall out of Clemson, he's their starter for the next decade. Rourke would have to be twice as good to ever beat him out......so the only way he gets a shot is via an injury.

In a way, Rourke's odyssey through a couple of universities and the CFL actually hurts him. There's no way a team like the Jags would ever want to admit that the underwhelming career of a guy like Rourke, could ever be better than Lawrence.

My guess is Rourke carries a clipboard for a couple of years, and then moves on.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If you know anything about Nathan Rourke, he didn't go of the NFL for a shot at being 'No. 2'. He spent two years in B.C. itching and determined to be a starting QB. And I doubt he settles for anything less in the NFL.

Problem is in Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence is the fair-haired wonder-kind at QB. Drafted first overall out of Clemson, he's their starter for the next decade. Rourke would have to be twice as good to ever beat him out......so the only way he gets a shot is via an injury.

In a way, Rourke's odyssey through a couple of universities and the CFL actually hurts him. There's no way a team like the Jags would ever want to admit that the underwhelming career of a guy like Rourke, could ever be better than Lawrence.

My guess is Rourke carries a clipboard for a couple of years, and then moves on.
As a backup down there wouldn’t Rourke make more money in two years than he would up here in 5? Plus, he’s not getting pounded while developing into a better QB. He could carve out a nice career, and make a lot of money, as a backup. Up here he’s going to earn way less.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

He's literally said he went there because he would have an opportunity for the #2 role. He was realistic about where he is at in his career. I'm sure he has long-term aspirations but this is where he is at right now.

As a backup down there wouldn’t Rourke make more money in two years than he would up here in 5? Plus, he’s not getting pounded while developing into a better QB. He could carve out a nice career, and make a lot of money, as a backup. Up here he’s going to earn way less.

He would make much more money if he could stick as a backup, yeah.

Jags/Lions on TV now, Rourke will likely play the 2nd half. Beathard with an awful decision on an interception a few minutes ago.

Reactions: Fatass and Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rourke looks good so far again. Making all the throws and had another play where he evaded the rush to complete a pass.
Didn't see the game but from the looks of the stats page, Rourke outplayed veteran backup C.J. Beathard, the guy he's trying to beat out.

Rourke was 10-12 and rushed for another 46 yards. Beathard did throw on TD pass was also gave up a bad interception.

Jags only have two pre-season games left so I imagine Lawrence will get a bulk of the reps from now on. But clearly Rourke is definitely in the mix for the number one backup job.

Reactions: Fatass

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Didn't see the game but from the looks of the stats page, Rourke outplayed veteran backup C.J. Beathard, the guy he's trying to beat out.

Rourke was 10-12 and rushed for another 46 yards. Beathard did throw on TD pass was also gave up a bad interception.

Jags only have two pre-season games left so I imagine Lawrence will get a bulk of the reps from now on. But clearly Rourke is definitely in the mix for the number one backup job.

Only one pre-season game left. Lawrence probably plays a half, but who knows.

I thought Rourke played very well.

Beathard was fine aside from the one bad play. No doubt that Rourke has outplayed him so far, but it's possible Beathard has been good enough to stick in front.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Only one pre-season game left. Lawrence probably plays a half, but who knows.

I thought Rourke played very well.

Beathard was fine aside from the one bad play. No doubt that Rourke has outplayed him so far, but it's possible Beathard has been good enough to stick in front.
That was the opinion of Jags coach Doug Pederson as well who said after the game....that CJ Beathard is his backup.

Now the fun starts......unless the Jags want to carry three QB's on the active roster, they'll have to put Rourke on waivers in order to assign him to the practice roster. Since few teams around the league actually carry three QB's on the sidelines for every game, that appears to be Rourke's fate.

All of which is ridiculous.....since Rourke badly outplayed Beathard, and everybody knows it. But what it shows is that Nathan probably never had a decent shot at earning the backup QB spot from the very start of training camp.

Really hope he ends up waivers.....is picked up by somebody else and comes back to haunt the Jags in the future. But lets face it......QB's from the CFL get basically zero respect south of the border. And this just proves it.

Reactions: m9

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Really hope he ends up waivers.....is picked up by somebody else and comes back to haunt the Jags in the future. But lets face it......QB's from the CFL get basically zero respect south of the border. And this just proves it.
I would prefer he end up back in B.C. winning games for our Lions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad