Proposal: Pacioretty's value from other teams point of view

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I respectfully disagree with the bolded. The item in contention for me is the 2018 1st. I would rather hold on to it than trade it for a LW rental.

I may be a bit differing because I don't really think we can stock our prospect pool much higher aside from with premium prospects, which we will almost assuredly not be getting with the 27th-31st pick. Honestly too the only position we need to pinpoint in our prospect pool is RD and more higher level centers. One of those is not realistic, and the other is not an immediate need with the guys we have at the NHL level.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
No, no thanks. I would personally be ok with that 2018 1st and a prospect like Blais or Sanford. Maybe add a conditional pick if we make it to the WCF. Patches is a 1 year rental to us going forward unless Steen breaks down and dies, Fabbri cannot recover at all, or he can play RW and shoot right handed to help make our powerplay not so bland.

Forgot to mention would also not be a 1 year rental if he is a center.

Added to the list since it comes from a Blues fan.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I may be a bit differing because I don't really think we can stock our prospect pool much higher aside from with premium prospects, which we will almost assuredly not be getting with the 27th-31st pick. Honestly too the only position we need to pinpoint in our prospect pool is RD and more higher level centers. One of those is not realistic, and the other is not an immediate need with the guys we have at the NHL level.
I completely understand your point about our prospects, and I may be guilty of over-valuing our late 1st. My question is why Pacioretty? (Who is an excellent, player, I am in no way trying to undermine his value.) If we are going to trade a 1st for immediate help, why not target another rental, who addresses a team need, like Wayne Simmonds, who is a RHS RW? RNH or Tyler Johnson are other possible targets that might be available, and have term. If we trade for Pacioretty, we then have him, Schwartz, Steen and hopefully Fabbri on the lefts side. Not to mention Berglund and Sobotka can play LW and Foley might be ready. Someone is going to have to play their off-side, and we have seen how disadvantageous that can be this season. This is not necessarily aimed solely at you, BleedBlue14. I am just trying to explain specifically, for the thread, how Pacioretty doesn't really fit the Blues needs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I completely understand your point about our prospects, and I may be guilty of over-valuing our late 1st. My question is why Pacioretty? (Who is an excellent, player, I am in no way trying to undermine his value.) If we are going to trade a 1st for immediate help, why not target a player who addresses a team need, like Wayne Simmonds, who is a RHS RW? RNH or Tyler Johnson are other possible targets that might be available. If we trade for Pacioretty, we then have him, Schwartz, Steen and hopefully Fabbri on the lefts side. Not to mention Berglund and Sobotka can play LW and Foley might be ready. Someone is going to have to play their off-side, and we have seen how disadvantageous that can be this season. This is not necessarily aimed solely at you, BleedBlue14. I am just trying to explain specifically, for the thread, how Pacioretty doesn't really fit the Blues needs.
Pacioretty slotted in at 2LW is a much better option then anything mentioned outside of Fabbri being 100%...which isnt likely.

Again....I wouldn't be dying to trade for Max but he would be a good addition if the price is right.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I completely understand your point about our prospects, and I may be guilty of over-valuing our late 1st. My question is why Pacioretty? (Who is an excellent, player, I am in no way trying to undermine his value.) If we are going to trade a 1st for immediate help, why not target another rental, who addresses a team need, like Wayne Simmonds, who is a RHS RW? RNH or Tyler Johnson are other possible targets that might be available, and have term. If we trade for Pacioretty, we then have him, Schwartz, Steen and hopefully Fabbri on the lefts side. Not to mention Berglund and Sobotka can play LW and Foley might be ready. Someone is going to have to play their off-side, and we have seen how disadvantageous that can be this season. This is not necessarily aimed solely at you, BleedBlue14. I am just trying to explain specifically, for the thread, how Pacioretty doesn't really fit the Blues needs.

Well honestly it's more of a safeguard. For that price I would love to slide Steen to the 3rd line. Here's what the thought process is, I really don't see any RH shot wingers realistically available outside of Simmonds who I would much rather have barring a physical saying that he was injured this year and not just declining hard. Still we have a surplus of prospects with the top two guns being right handed. Will they be ready next year? Who knows. But I do know I would much rather have Patches in out top 6 at that price as opposed to having Jaskin in our top 6 again.

Fabbri is not a guarantee. Steen may regress regardless he'll be a fantastic 3rd liner at the very least. Schwartz seems to have missed 15 games or so each of the pst couple of seasons. I would much rather create a competition for a year at the cost of Blais and WPG 1st as opposed to have Berglund and Jaskin rotating the top 6 if Fabbri is not 100%, or Schwartz or Steen are injured which seem through the history to be a pretty highly likely position for us to be in.

Reactions: Dbrownss

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think the Blues hold that 1st for trying to package up for a center or RW. Patches is a nice to have if a whole lot of things don't go well. A center and RW on the other hand are need to haves.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Galchenyuk is a for sure winger with potential to be a center. It's about how he matures and he took a big step forward this year (2nd half) at maturing and making smarter plays with the puck and yes.. as a winger. Does this mean he is a for sure winger forever now? Maybe but it don't mean he won't mature further and some team tries him at center down the road and he does well cause he is a more mature player.
I think his defense Answers that, or more properly lack of it. Galchenyuk and Drouin are perfectly fine as wingers and would even improve as such if left alone to do it. Playing them at center puts added responsibilities on them defensively they just aren't capable of.

Playing either of them at center is bad for any team not just Montreal. It just exacerbates the Habs issues defensively that they play out of position

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Pacioretty has very low value for me for a number of reasons:

1. His age. He'll be 30 at the start of next season.
2. Last year's production. Yes, I know he was on a bad team and has been consistent up until now, but 37 points and 17 goals is not good. Combine that he's at the age when players start decreasing production, and it's not good.
3. His contract status. He's only signed for 1 more year.

Honestly, I think Montreal is best holding onto him, hoping he rebounds, and selling him as a rental. I'd be quite upset if the Flames traded any substantial assets for Pacioretty.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006

2. Last year's production. Yes, I know he was on a bad team and has been consistent up until now, but 37 points and 17 goals is not good. Combine that he's at the age when players start decreasing production, and it's not good.

Honestly, I think Montreal is best holding onto him, hoping he rebounds, and selling him as a rental. I'd be quite upset if the Flames traded any substantial assets for Pacioretty.

I will register no need for this player for Calgary on the list on page 1. Thanks!

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

30 isn't over the hill by any means. Still he's not no spring chicken I get it. That being said his contract prettt much puts him heavily into the rental situation as is for a full year. A lot of teams when/if the cap raises will have the money for him. His return will be diminished by what his next contract will be but that being said he's still a very valuable rental

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
30 isn't over the hill by any means. Still he's not no spring chicken I get it. That being said his contract prettt much puts him heavily into the rental situation as is for a full year. A lot of teams when/if the cap raises will have the money for him. His return will be diminished by what his next contract will be but that being said he's still a very valuable rental

30 isn't necessarily over the hill, but it certainly is for some. There have been many players (particularly forwards) who see significant downturns at 30 and are more or less no longer NHL calibre by 32. Pacioretty's output from last season in combination with his age would be a huge red flag for me. Every player is different, and some forwards do go onto to be productive to the age of 34 or so, but Pacioretty's recent play isn't showing me that he is one of those players with longevity.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Paccioretty to the kings in exchange for Tanner Pearson 2019 2nd and 3rd round picks and maybe Christian folin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad