Speculation: Pacioretty and TBL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
then came the thing called a salary cap....Tampa Bay cant afford his hit. They likely want to try and sign Kucherov for around $3M like they did with Johnson and Palat.

Since Kucherov has already broken out to a much greater degree than TJ/AP at the time of their contracts, I can't imagine that Kuch takes any sort of bridge deal for $3M. I'd think you're looking at a short term deal around $5M+, or a long term deal for close to what Tarasenko got.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Price wouldn't free enough cap room.

Kucherov is (supposedly) 7
Callahan is 5.8

Patches is 4.5
Price is 6.5
And Montreal has 1.4 Caproom

If you put Kucherov at 6.5 it works in theory, until you realize that an NHL team needs two netminders.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The only piece that Montreal could send to Tampa that would enable them to sign Kucherov to a logical contract, and not some 1-yr stupid deal, is Shea Weber.

It's safe to say that this isn't happening anytime soon.

Yep obviously Shea Weber is a no go, Not sure how either Montreal or Tampa can do a deal here that would be beneficial for both clubs and fit in their salary structure.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Price wouldn't free enough cap room.

Kucherov is (supposedly) 7
Callahan is 5.8

Patches is 4.5
Price is 6.5
And Montreal has 1.4 Caproom

If you put Kucherov at 6.5 it works in theory, until you realize that an NHL team needs two netminders.

well, it was a stupid idea anyway :laugh:

JS91

May 14, 2014
It does make sense simply because Pacioretty has a great contract and with Kucherov likely not signing for less than 7 (and rightfully so) it really seems like we are going to need to move someone to sign him. That said I don't think there is a team in this league I'd rather not trade Kucherov to than Montreal.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don't trust the source, but in theory it makes some sense.

It would definitely not be a 1-for-1 deal though.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Patches for Kucherov is a win win. TBL get a cheap winger for 3 years to help put their cap and montreal get the better winger.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Montreal would want Drouin (in my opinion) and some other pieces over Kucherov.

If you're replacing Pacioretty and his cheap deal, you'd need to give up the French Canadian star that Bergevin has been looking for and some other pieces to make things balance out... Not sure what they would be.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Montreal would want Drouin (in my opinion) and some other pieces over Kucherov.

If you're replacing Pacioretty and his cheap deal, you'd need to give up the French Canadian star that Bergevin has been looking for and some other pieces to make things balance out... Not sure what they would be.

if he really wanted Drouin, he would have traded either Gallys for him.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
At this point of the off-season? Why in god's name...

But I'm entirely open to trading Pacioretty for Kucherov+ or Drouin+ - Patches is cap-era gold, he's quite valuable.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
At this point of the off-season? Why in god's name...

But I'm entirely open to trading Pacioretty for Kucherov+ or Drouin+ - Patches is cap-era gold, he's quite valuable.

Im fairly certain any kuch-patch trade will have the habs add some or maybe if they get lucky a straight up 1v1 trade.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Why would tampa do this exactly? Love Pacioretty but Kucherov has the ability to contend for the art ross and he's younger.

Because Kucherov isn't signed and they seem to have a hard time signing him, considering their capspace.

Drouin + Callahan/Filpulla for Pacioretty is the only deal that makes sense.

No, it doesn't. Montreal cannot even take Callahan straight up for Pacioretty. No caproom, let alone Drouin and his bonuses. And Tampa retaining... doesn't even make a lick of sense, considering the whole idea of this is to sign Kucherov.

Im fairly certain any kuch-patch trade will have the habs add some or maybe if they get lucky a straight up 1v1 trade.

If by "adding some", you mean "adding a paid asset", then yeah.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Agreed and could involve Beaulieu and actually help both sides cap-wise.

It could work if Kucherov accepts a long-term deal at 6.5M.
Not a penny more.

Not to mention that probably means Sergachyov in the lineup as a regular... and his caphit would then be HIGHER than Beaulieu, because bonuses and all.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
if he really wanted Drouin, he would have traded either Gallys for him.

Except that both Gallys have proven more in the league so far and hold more value today. I know that may not always be the case, but that's how I see it...

With Pacioretty though the Bolts get the better player now, who is on a sweetheart deal for another three years (I think anyway?) Habs get the French young gun they've been looking for and both teams benefit. A solid hockey trade I think. Of course you'd have to tweak the deal a bit to make everything fit but I think both sides get value for the assets they move.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
After the subban deal a big deal like this will never happen this season they will likely see how patches performs this season or the next one after

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
As others have said Hockey Insider throws crap against the wall to see what sticks.

But as far as speculation goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal move Pacioretty for a younger (Russian) player. Who knows if they really trust their captain as much as they say, it would be a way to avoid this whole scenario.

Not to mention Montreal has an infatuation with Russians right now. Markov, Emelin, Radulov, American-born but Russian speaking Galchenyuk, Sergachev in the minors.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Lets say Kucherov for Max actually has some legs (it doesn't)
Lightning LWs - Palat , Pacioretty , Killorn , Drouin
Lghtning RWs - Callahan

Makes no sense
Don't need another left winger

gis1838

Jul 28, 2015
pacioretty beaulieu and 2nd pick

for

drouin and killhorn

so TB can move garrison or coburn make cap room for kuch

mtl get a pretty decent top six

drouin-galchenyuk-radulov