Value of: P.K. Subban Double Retention (2.25 AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Curious as to his value and any potential fits if the Devils find a suitor to retain an additional 50%.

His actual salary is only 2 million this year, so it would not cost too much to have a second team involved aside from cap space. Seems like the going rate for that retention is 4th/5th to the involved team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
P.K. Subban is awful now.

He’s not the flashy player he once was, but he is still a solid third pairing defenseman. Once he recognized that he wasn’t the Montreal Subban, he settled in quite nicely on the Devils.

I could see a team liking his experience on the bottom pairing. Plus his shot is still a weapon and he can fill in on both special teams. He’s lost some of his foot speed in recent years which is probably his biggest issue.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Honestly who even cares at this point. Maybe NJ gets a mid round pick for him from someone that wants a warm body. Don’t see him getting a 2nd, even as a RHD at a 2.25mm cap hit.

I doubt Devils get much value. Maybe a third round pick if they’re lucky.

But I think Fitzgerald will follow in Shero’s footsteps of giving guys an opportunity regardless of the price.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He’s not the flashy player he once was, but he is still a solid third pairing defenseman. Once he recognized that he wasn’t the Montreal Subban, he settled in quite nicely on the Devils.

I could see a team liking his experience on the bottom pairing. Plus his shot is still a weapon and he can fill in on both special teams. He’s lost some of his foot speed in recent years which is probably his biggest issue.
Not sure about the "settled in nicely for Devils " part but agree with the rest.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I doubt Devils get much value. Maybe a third round pick if they’re lucky.

But I think Fitzgerald will follow in Shero’s footsteps of giving guys an opportunity regardless of the price.

I'm fine with that, just keep in mind that NJ can only retain on a maximum of 3 contracts. If they get worthwhile offers on Severson, Zacha and Johnsson requiring retention, you want to have those spots open.

If those offers don't materialize, then sure, burn a retention slot on PK and do him a solid. He's been a good soldier here.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Keep in mind Subban was paid via bonus most of his contract this year so the 3rd team would really just be retaining mostly cap space.

P.K. Subban Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He's on the hook for 2 million in salary so 25% of 2million for the rest of the season is about (1/3)*25%*2m = 166k in money (someone can be more precise here and correct me) for the team taking on 25%. If the Devils pay that team a 4th rounder to eat 25% do you all think Subban would get a 2nd from the acquiring team?

Reactions: harv33173

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Keep in mind Subban was paid via bonus most of his contract this year so the 3rd team would really just be retaining mostly cap space.

P.K. Subban Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He's on the hook for 2 million in salary so 25% of 2million for the rest of the season is about (1/3)*25%*2m = 166k in money (someone can be more precise here and correct me) for the team taking on 25%. If the Devils pay that team a 4th rounder to eat 25% do you all think Subban would get a 2nd from the acquiring team?
If Dubas misses on EVERY other trade he attempts....maybe?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
PK needs to come back with the habs to regain his groove
I would sign him 4.5 mil for the next 4 years

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

That's the problem. He was never the fleetest of foot even during his prime, and now it really shows. Players with speed get around him with continuous ease. I also don't think he's capable of playing in a fast-paced system (teams like Colorado, Vegas, Carolina for example). Unless there's some serious retention as you're thinking of with OP, I don't see a contending team or even a playoff bound team targeting him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You're probably going to have to give the 3rd team an equal value asset to what you give to NJ.

That's way too much effort for a guy that caps out as a 3rd pairing defenseman. If you just want depth there are much cheaper options, and if you want quality you're not going to trade for Subban.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Before this season I would have argued tooth and nail that he'd get a 2nd rounder or better with %50 retention. But he's been abysmal, and is constantly taking bad penalties and borderline getting suspended.

Even at 2.25, I wouldn't trade for him. He's just as likely to hurt your team as he is to help it. Pass.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
PK needs to come back with the habs to regain his groove
I would sign him 4.5 mil for the next 4 years
You mean an average of $1,125,000 for the next four seasons? Maybe. If you mean $4,500,000/ season for the next four years, absolutely not.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

All of these pts above

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm fine with that, just keep in mind that NJ can only retain on a maximum of 3 contracts. If they get worthwhile offers on Severson, Zacha and Johnsson requiring retention, you want to have those spots open.

If those offers don't materialize, then sure, burn a retention slot on PK and do him a solid. He's been a good soldier here.
Is it calendar year with the slots? Just confirming how they are considered.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we can get a conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd due to some sort of performance metric by the acquiring team, perhaps...

I just don't see it.

Realistically you have to provide an asset to the second team retaining.

I think Devils best bet at this point is effectively trading Subban for a third and then also providing a fifth to the second team.

In theory, the Devils would move up a couple rounds, contending team would acquire Subban at 2.25 for a third round pick, and second team retaining would gain a fifth round pick out of it.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Before this season I would have argued tooth and nail that he'd get a 2nd rounder or better with %50 retention. But he's been abysmal, and is constantly taking bad penalties and borderline getting suspended.

Even at 2.25, I wouldn't trade for him. He's just as likely to hurt your team as he is to help it. Pass.
He's a .4 ppg on a team going nowhere this year. Has SC experience, a RHD playing 19:19 rn and would probably fight fro time on the 2nd pairing in Tor. It wont be tremendous but it should be something. We can take back a contract or 2 s well if a decent return

Reactions: HBK27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He's a .4 ppg on a team going nowhere this year. Has SC experience, a RHD playing 19:19 rn and would probably fight fro time on the 2nd pairing in Tor. It wont be tremendous but it should be something. We can take back a contract or 2 s well if a decent return

Those are all good points, and we ended up getting something for Vatanen a couple years ago when I was sure he was completely cooked and had no value, so being a RHD is certainly worth something.

To me the problem with Subban is that they eye test is just really, really bad. A GM will need to really want depth and have faith that he will improve his game in better conditions.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad