Owen Sound Attack 2024-25 Season, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Great to see Varosyan get one yesterday - early signs that both our imports are going to contribute meaningfully this season.

And Greg Cowan's article from yesterday didn't seem to indicate anything earth-shattering about the team from the Town Hall. DeGray's comments indicated that several teams are 'lining-up' for Barlow, which might contradict the earlier reports that a deal is done. But I guess we'll see. Barlow should be sent back to the OHL shortly, based on what I've been reading from the Jets board he's still a long way off from the NHL.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Great to see Varosyan get one yesterday - early signs that both our imports are going to contribute meaningfully this season.

And Greg Cowan's article from yesterday didn't seem to indicate anything earth-shattering about the team from the Town Hall. DeGray's comments indicated that several teams are 'lining-up' for Barlow, which might contradict the earlier reports that a deal is done. But I guess we'll see. Barlow should be sent back to the OHL shortly, based on what I've been reading from the Jets board he's still a long way off from the NHL.
I thought both imports made notable improvements between the Barrie game and the North Bay home games. It's going to take a bit of time for them to adjust but both were standouts in the North Bay game. I thought Varosyan got knocked around a bit in the Barrie game but threw a few solid hits on Sunday. I think once he acclimates a bit to the smaller ice surface and the physical play his skill will really start to show. You definitely saw some glimpses into his skill in the game. Bleicher doesn't shy away from the physical side. He looks much more comfortable with the puck than he did when he first got here. He's starting to show the offensive ability and had a number of chances on Sunday. His foot work is a little suspect but hopefully will improve over the course of the season. Really saw a lot to like out of both players.

Mbuyi, Kindree and Arnett have all surprised me in the impact they made in the two exhibition games in Owen Sound I was able to attend. They look like some very nice pieces of the puzzle for the future of the team. For a couple of smaller forwards, both Mbuyi and Kindree don't play like it. I'm pretty excited by what I've seen out of the rookies.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I thought both imports made notable improvements between the Barrie game and the North Bay home games. It's going to take a bit of time for them to adjust but both were standouts in the North Bay game. I thought Varosyan got knocked around a bit in the Barrie game but threw a few solid hits on Sunday. I think once he acclimates a bit to the smaller ice surface and the physical play his skill will really start to show. You definitely saw some glimpses into his skill in the game. Bleicher doesn't shy away from the physical side. He looks much more comfortable with the puck than he did when he first got here. He's starting to show the offensive ability and had a number of chances on Sunday. His foot work is a little suspect but hopefully will improve over the course of the season. Really saw a lot to like out of both players.

Mbuyi, Kindree and Arnett have all surprised me in the impact they made in the two exhibition games in Owen Sound I was able to attend. They look like some very nice pieces of the puzzle for the future of the team. For a couple of smaller forwards, both Mbuyi and Kindree don't play like it. I'm pretty excited by what I've seen out of the rookies.
Patience will definitely be needed with Varosyan given the culture shock he's no doubt experiencing. Team media seems to indicate he speaks very little English and given he's from a village in Russia's far east can only imagine how tough the transition is. Whereas Bleicher's English seems really good and he's probably getting along just fine.

Also a general question to the board, how did G. Smith and Ethier look in exhibition play? Was worried that their development would be stunted by how sparingly they played last year, but haven't been able to see any game action yet.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Patience will definitely be needed with Varosyan given the culture shock he's no doubt experiencing. Team media seems to indicate he speaks very little English and given he's from a village in Russia's far east can only imagine how tough the transition is. Whereas Bleicher's English seems really good and he's probably getting along just fine.

Also a general question to the board, how did G. Smith and Ethier look in exhibition play? Was worried that their development would be stunted by how sparingly they played last year, but haven't been able to see any game action yet.
Ethier didn't play either of the home games so I can't comment on him. Gabe Smith looked solid to me. He moves well for a big guy. Solid first pass on zone exit. As a former goalie, I love his compete clearing the net front and clearing the line of vision for the goalie. Nobody stands at the net for free from what I've seen. He's hard in the corners and along the wall too. Added a little physicality with a few good hits. He looks ready to play a regular role to me this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad