Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
He currently projects as the 1C, I could see a case for him, for sure. He's likely in the mix/conversation. It would be great to see him find his stride this season.
Coach Wray mentioned two players by name at the presser, one was Ben Cormier.

The Attack need a goalie coach again. Paul Gibson has stepped down.

He has heavy ties to the former nameless HC.
I wonder if he ends up across the river from Detroit ?
I'm interested in following this development.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Couple of items that came to mind for me last night that I think will be interesting to follow heading into camp:

Carter George will be away at King's camp, which could be an extended stay with a good showing, as well as very likely trip to the World Juniors Tournament this year which very likely means the Attack sign a third goalie this year. I think that will be interesting to follow in camp to see who that might be. I would think it would be unlikely that they carry an EBUG for that long while George is away.

The second item is who will the leadership group be this year? Barlow projects to be the only returning player who wore a letter last season. I would think Jordan will be a part of the leadership group but who else? Sam McCue would seem to feature heavily in the offense, would he make sense? James Petrovski should eat a bunch of minutes this year? If Jackson Stewart is part of the team does he wear a letter as a guy who sets the example of working hard and not taking nights off? Or maybe a Jake Crawford as a bridge to the youth on the roster and a player who works hard? It will be interesting to see who the coaching staff picks to wear letters this year. Is there anyone else that might be an option that I haven't listed?
Your first point, I think it is imperative the Attack sign a 3rd goalie , and place him in the jrB loop as they did with Carter and Koprowski.

Point 2, personally, since everyone on hockey planet earth knows the plan for Colby, wouldn't it make the most sense to move him before 24/25 starts ?
He gets a full season with a new club, the Attack gets assets now and the leadership can be rebuilt from day 1 .

I'm not sure how someone deals with leadership roles, knowing they are on the move ?

Wouldn't it be best to wipe the skate clean for everybody??

There are plenty of leadership candidates. I'd leave Jake out for now, I think it's far too big of an ask for any 17 yr, including Colby.

The new coaching staff may just go with A to start the year, unless/ until someone emerges.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I believe NB will not trade Romani f there is even a slim chance of him returning for an OA season. That is not a real stretch as Vancouver has two years before having to commit $ and spot on its’ protected list.

The colts could move Vaughn for the best of the very easy LW position to upgrade if he is not as promising as the #5 pick should be.
The realistic suitors for Barlow are Barrie, Flint, and unlikely but possibly Brantford or Brampton in a pick heavy trade. It has been speculated that Bertucci wants both out of Flint and play with Barlow, so that might rule out Flint.
An ‘08-1st or bust has high bust potential imo.
I think the price paid for Rehkopf yesterday would open the door for Owen Sound to take a pick heavy return if it's out there. I don't think it necessarily has to be an 08 first or bust trade but if you're moving now, prior to the season, for player(s) plus picks it would need to include an 07 first(a player with some impact), which for Barrie would mean parting with Moses who would likely be a key piece for them this season. I can't see that being an appealing option for Barrie. I don't think a collection of 07/06 cast offs is overly attractive for the Attack who have enough depth already on the roster that they don't necessarily need warm bodies back in a potential Barlow move unless they feel the player(s) fit and help them now.

Attack depth chart for reference:
1723050395639.png

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Your first point, I think it is imperative the Attack sign a 3rd goalie , and place him in the jrB loop as they did with Carter and Koprowski.

Point 2, personally, since everyone on hockey planet earth knows the plan for Colby, wouldn't it make the most sense to move him before 24/25 starts ?
He gets a full season with a new club, the Attack gets assets now and the leadership can be rebuilt from day 1 .

I'm not sure how someone deals with leadership roles, knowing they are on the move ?

Wouldn't it be best to wipe the skate clean for everybody??

There are plenty of leadership candidates. I'd leave Jake out for now, I think it's far too big of an ask for any 17 yr, including Colby.

The new coaching staff may just go with A to start the year, unless/ until someone emerges.
Agreed on the goalie front. I think it will be very important to have that #3 signed and in the lower level for the time George is away.

I don't know the people the way a number of you do on this board so I I'm missing that perspective but I think in a general sense, it would be a much easier and cleaner situation for everybody involved to make the move now vs hanging on to the deadline. The Attack forward group is pretty thin and if Barlow doesn't score at the rate everybody expects as teams are easier able to key on him defensively, how might Barlow handle that? That could bring some frustration to the team/locker room that you don't need around the younger players as they figure out their way in the league.

I agree on the leadership front. If Barlow moves on before the season then I would think they just run As and save naming a new captain unless someone steps up and demonstrates they are the leader. I think, at least in my opinion, the clubhouse leader on a new C would be Jordan. I don't really see anyone else on the radar at this stage.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the price paid for Rehkopf yesterday would open the door for Owen Sound to take a pick heavy return if it's out there. I don't think it necessarily has to be an 08 first or bust trade but if you're moving now, prior to the season, for player(s) plus picks it would need to include an 07 first(a player with some impact), which for Barrie would mean parting with Moses who would likely be a key piece for them this season. I can't see that being an appealing option for Barrie. I don't think a collection of 07/06 cast offs is overly attractive for the Attack who have enough depth already on the roster that they don't necessarily need warm bodies back in a potential Barlow move unless they feel the player(s) fit and help them now.

View attachment 899653

Moses should be a fixture on the 3rd line helping the team right now.
Barrie should consider Barlow if it is the best way to improve the team. Is Barlow minus (OA LW replaced in top six + Moses + picks) while adding to an existing surplus of LW/C and creating a need at RW worth it to Barrie?
Just look at your list of LW on a rebuilding team. Impactful LW such as Swick, VanSteensel, …can be had cheap.

The ‘07-1st available now probably amount to Outwater, McNamara, Barlas, maybe Lavoie. There are likely 2nd picks with more upside and without a gold package to be had.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Couple of items that came to mind for me last night that I think will be interesting to follow heading into camp:

Carter George will be away at King's camp, which could be an extended stay with a good showing, as well as very likely trip to the World Juniors Tournament this year which very likely means the Attack sign a third goalie this year. I think that will be interesting to follow in camp to see who that might be. I would think it would be unlikely that they carry an EBUG for that long while George is away.

The second item is who will the leadership group be this year? Barlow projects to be the only returning player who wore a letter last season. I would think Jordan will be a part of the leadership group but who else? Sam McCue would seem to feature heavily in the offense, would he make sense? James Petrovski should eat a bunch of minutes this year? If Jackson Stewart is part of the team does he wear a letter as a guy who sets the example of working hard and not taking nights off? Or maybe a Jake Crawford as a bridge to the youth on the roster and a player who works hard? It will be interesting to see who the coaching staff picks to wear letters this year. Is there anyone else that might be an option that I haven't listed?
I would doubt that Stewart is there this year, but I agree, if there was a kid who never took a shift off, it is him. I like Petrovski as an A, I think Barlow gets the C until the trade and then it goes to someone else, or they leave it vacant until nest year

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

View attachment 899653
I'd bet 3 listed aren't on the list by Sept 15

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I happen to believe Stewey isn't going anywhere .
I think there's a major benefit in having someone like Stewart on the team this year when the team is as young as it is slated to be. He has to play to be effective so it only works if he's more than a fourth line forward. He's also a guy that works his butt off every night and can offer a good example of the compete that the team wants. I'd have no issues or concerns personally with him being an OA on this team.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
He currently projects as the 1C, I could see a case for him, for sure. He's likely in the mix/conversation. It would be great to see him find his stride this season.
At Scott Wray's hiring presser he specifically mentioned Ben as if he's familiar with him. He said he's a guy that Attack haven't seen the best of yet and hinted at it's his job to make sure we see it. Could Ben flourish under a new staff?

Reactions: Millpond

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
At Scott Wray's hiring presser he specifically mentioned Ben as if he's familiar with him. He said he's a guy that Attack haven't seen the best of yet and hinted at it's his job to make sure we see it. Could Ben flourish under a new staff?
Personally, I'd love to see it. He barely played at 16 and then played pretty well the entirety of his 17 year old season as the 3C. Maybe he's a late bloomer and there's more there? He's going to get a significant opportunity this year to play in a more offensive role and likely feature on the PP/PK. How much of a jump can he take from last year's 24 points in 65 games? The kid can shoot it. I think this will be a bit of a defining season for him to see what he really is/can be. A coach who believes in him and supports/pushes him could do wonders for the kid.

Reactions: KFawcett

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Anybody's guess
There's always moves to be made come fall. Camp surprises, good or bad, often shuffle things up. I'll put a few thoughts out there:

Brennan would appear to be the obvious name. He struggled last year and without taking a major step is taking playing time/opportunity from a younger player this year. He's a bubble guy for sure. Barlow has already been mentioned and could be moved if the right package comes along. The Attack still have 4 OAs to trim down to 3 at some point which could trim another forward out of the mix.

If Roy and Kwajah aren't options amongst the 08 group, which seems most likely, does that open the door for 6'5" Jacob Vandeven given the state of the Attack's center ice depth? Gates and Varosyan(provided he signs) could also come in and take a more senior player's role and make them expendable. Throw 07 signed Easton Mikus into that same category of someone who could have a strong camp and push for a spot up in the lineup.

I think guys like Waddick and Tersigni could be vulnerable if they get out performed in camp. Waddick didn't deliver the scoring that was expected last season and doesn't really offer much beyond that if he's not scoring. Tersigni is a year younger than Waddick but what is he exactly? I think this could be a make or break year for Tersigni. Either he carves out a more defined role or he could potentially be on the outs.

How smaller players like Mbuyi and Kindree come into camp may help determine what roles they may be ready for. If they remain light on the scale then overexposure becomes a bit of a risk playing up the line up. If they come in a better physical position entering camp then watch out. If not then maybe it buys some time for some of the other names mentioned.

Reactions: PensFan101

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Hope everyone had a great summer and ready to go. Ill miss training camp once again, but looking forward to seeing what the group looks like coming out of it.

I would argue that until you hear otherwise, you probably can include Varosyan in the lineup, some import draft picks have been misses, some hits, but generally they always come, so I'm not sure why this year would be any different, especially given the reports that his club team is so poor and he needs a move.

For me, the following would make sense.

McCue - Cormier - Barlow
Varosyan - Crawford - Nansi
Teresigni/Waddick - Mikus - Hookey
Mboyi - Kindree - ??
??

Depending on what the purpose of this year is, it would not be the worst thing to get an other forward to protect Crawford from playing too much too soon. I like him as much as anyone but not sure that he is ready for top 6 minutes so soon.

I also agree with Stellar that there probably isn't room for both Tersgini and Waddick. I thought Teresigni was very good in his 16 year old year, he probably never becomes a high goal scorer, but his effort and energy are hard to find, where as Waddick is a great shooter, but after that, not much. I would guess that their play in the first few weeks will go far in determining their future.

Definitely room for a few more 16 and 17 year olds. Gates probably has a spot to lose, would think they would add one more. For me Stewart is just getting in the way of playing time for those kids and Hookey could do what he does and add more offense. Don't want to create drama over that comment as at times his name brought that this past year, but its just how I see it. Another 16 or 17 year old could slot into that top 13 group for sure.

Smith/Jordan - Rogers
Petrovsky - Either
Bleicher - Smith
Arnett

With Arnett signing in Listowel I would have to think the plan is to bring in another D to be a 7 this year. Not sure who that would be or if it is the case, but not sure if he thought that he would be in Owen Sound that he would sign there. Given the issues with last years coaches never playing the rookies its probably a wise move, no shade meant for Wray and the bench, just probably a better idea until proven otherwise.

George
Kaprowski

Probably the easiest group of all, we all know who Carter is and what he is capable of. Kaprowski showed very well in limited time last year, locked in as the backup and hopefully they find a way to get him 15 or so starts this year.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hope everyone had a great summer and ready to go. Ill miss training camp once again, but looking forward to seeing what the group looks like coming out of it.

I would argue that until you hear otherwise, you probably can include Varosyan in the lineup, some import draft picks have been misses, some hits, but generally they always come, so I'm not sure why this year would be any different, especially given the reports that his club team is so poor and he needs a move.

For me, the following would make sense.

McCue - Cormier - Barlow
Varosyan - Crawford - Nansi
Teresigni/Waddick - Mikus - Hookey
Mboyi - Kindree - ??
??

Depending on what the purpose of this year is, it would not be the worst thing to get an other forward to protect Crawford from playing too much too soon. I like him as much as anyone but not sure that he is ready for top 6 minutes so soon.

I also agree with Stellar that there probably isn't room for both Tersgini and Waddick. I thought Teresigni was very good in his 16 year old year, he probably never becomes a high goal scorer, but his effort and energy are hard to find, where as Waddick is a great shooter, but after that, not much. I would guess that their play in the first few weeks will go far in determining their future.

Definitely room for a few more 16 and 17 year olds. Gates probably has a spot to lose, would think they would add one more. For me Stewart is just getting in the way of playing time for those kids and Hookey could do what he does and add more offense. Don't want to create drama over that comment as at times his name brought that this past year, but its just how I see it. Another 16 or 17 year old could slot into that top 13 group for sure.

Smith/Jordan - Rogers
Petrovsky - Either
Bleicher - Smith
Arnett

With Arnett signing in Listowel I would have to think the plan is to bring in another D to be a 7 this year. Not sure who that would be or if it is the case, but not sure if he thought that he would be in Owen Sound that he would sign there. Given the issues with last years coaches never playing the rookies its probably a wise move, no shade meant for Wray and the bench, just probably a better idea until proven otherwise.

George
Kaprowski

Probably the easiest group of all, we all know who Carter is and what he is capable of. Kaprowski showed very well in limited time last year, locked in as the backup and hopefully they find a way to get him 15 or so starts this year.
I know it's antiquated thinking but Stewart and Hookey being on the roster has a purpose. This is going to be a very young roster this year and having some "caretakers" so to speak out there isn't a bad thing. The two of them project to be the only pieces on the roster that offer that certain skill set and if they aren't part of the team, where does that element come from? I'd rather keep both of them in the mix and let the kids play hockey. Better that than force guys who don't play that way to do things they aren't comfortable with doing.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I know it's antiquated thinking but Stewart and Hookey being on the roster has a purpose. This is going to be a very young roster this year and having some "caretakers" so to speak out there isn't a bad thing. The two of them project to be the only pieces on the roster that offer that certain skill set and if they aren't part of the team, where does that element come from? I'd rather keep both of them in the mix and let the kids play hockey. Better that than force guys who don't play that way to do things they aren't comfortable with doing.
And I would counter that with keeping a Stewart knocks someone off the roster that may be part of the core of the team in 2 years. Giving him 13 minutes a night takes away from a 16 or 17 year old who would grow with those minutes.

I think that top to bottom the team will have a 'tougher' mentality, it seems to be the attitude that they are projecting from behind the bench, and to be honest, Im not sure how truly tough most of the league is these days anyways? Of all the teams that I watched last year London was the only truly 'tough' team and even with Stewart in the lineup they still played that way.

If this team is to move forward I think they will need everyone to play that way, not just 1 or 2. Thats where someone like a Waddick will be in trouble IMO, he doesn't have much push back where as at least Teresigni has some compete and aggression to his game.

Honestly I would even think of adding an overage who can add more offensive support and still play with that hard edge. Don't mind knocking a kid off the roster if its for an older guy who can play hard and score 15 goals, not sure id do it for Stewart who scored all his goals last year in one game against Windsor where everyone seemed to score. I think scoring will be hard this year, an overage needs to be one of the offensive leaders. I think Hookey can do that, Stewart has never proven he can, at some point you are what you are.

Just looking at the rosters and teams with extra overages, Erie has Bruce McDonnald who scored 18 goals but also fought, played heavy, etc. If it only costs a 5th or 6th round pick, or even the 8th that Kaleb Lawrence cost, id rather do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
And I would counter that with keeping a Stewart knocks someone off the roster that may be part of the core of the team in 2 years. Giving him 13 minutes a night takes away from a 16 or 17 year old who would grow with those minutes.

I think that top to bottom the team will have a 'tougher' mentality, it seems to be the attitude that they are projecting from behind the bench, and to be honest, Im not sure how truly tough most of the league is these days anyways? Of all the teams that I watched last year London was the only truly 'tough' team and even with Stewart in the lineup they still played that way.

If this team is to move forward I think they will need everyone to play that way, not just 1 or 2. Thats where someone like a Waddick will be in trouble IMO, he doesn't have much push back where as at least Teresigni has some compete and aggression to his game.

Honestly I would even think of adding an overage who can add more offensive support and still play with that hard edge. Don't mind knocking a kid off the roster if its for an older guy who can play hard and score 15 goals, not sure id do it for Stewart who scored all his goals last year in one game against Windsor where everyone seemed to score. I think scoring will be hard this year, an overage needs to be one of the offensive leaders. I think Hookey can do that, Stewart has never proven he can, at some point you are what you are.

Just looking at the rosters and teams with extra overages, Erie has Bruce McDonnald who scored 18 goals but also fought, played heavy, etc. If it only costs a 5th or 6th round pick, or even the 8th that Kaleb Lawrence cost, id rather do that.
Not really much point in debating the argument without having even seen the players in camp or exhibition games yet. It's a big assumption that there's going to be a player that takes the ice time that Stewart could be playing. Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? TBD. Should it happen? Depends on the philosophy of roster make up between the GM and Head Coach. I would suspect we know the answer from the GM. How does Scott Wray feel?

Looking objectively at the roster heading towards camp, it's not overly big on size nor is it a physical group. There is definitely a strong likelihood that this group gets pushed around by bigger/older teams from time to time. The game is changing but there is still that element of physicality in the league that the Attack don't project to have much of.

You pointed out that scoring could be tough this year, which I agree with, if keeping Stewart means McCue doesn't need to be involved as much in the after whistle shenanigans and focuses on scoring, does that at all factor into it? If Stewart can score ~10 goals this year, does it warrant spending the assets to get the guy who scores ~15 goals during a rebuilding year? I think that is likely part of the equation as well.

Personally, I'm all for the youth movement and the development of those players. I do think there needs to be some balance between letting them play and protecting them whether that's physically or just from over exposure. Training camp is only a couple weeks away and should offer a better picture of where things are at and what may or may not be needed. It'll be fun to watch.

Reactions: Millpond

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Not really much point in debating the argument without having even seen the players in camp or exhibition games yet. It's a big assumption that there's going to be a player that takes the ice time that Stewart could be playing. Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? TBD. Should it happen? Depends on the philosophy of roster make up between the GM and Head Coach. I would suspect we know the answer from the GM. How does Scott Wray feel?

Looking objectively at the roster heading towards camp, it's not overly big on size nor is it a physical group. There is definitely a strong likelihood that this group gets pushed around by bigger/older teams from time to time. The game is changing but there is still that element of physicality in the league that the Attack don't project to have much of.

You pointed out that scoring could be tough this year, which I agree with, if keeping Stewart means McCue doesn't need to be involved as much in the after whistle shenanigans and focuses on scoring, does that at all factor into it? If Stewart can score ~10 goals this year, does it warrant spending the assets to get the guy who scores ~15 goals during a rebuilding year? I think that is likely part of the equation as well.

Personally, I'm all for the youth movement and the development of those players. I do think there needs to be some balance between letting them play and protecting them whether that's physically or just from over exposure. Training camp is only a couple weeks away and should offer a better picture of where things are at and what may or may not be needed. It'll be fun to watch.
And thats why I would suggest that if its an issue, go after someone like MacDonald who I would think would be more of a Papais or Lawrence cost.

He would produce way more then Stewart does, would fill the depth of centre and move others down the lineup a bit, while also adding the physical edge.

You can still have a player like that, overages need to be play drivers and Stewart is not that, you can find heavy compete players who are overages easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad