Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I am not sure Oshawa is a front runner for any of the big names that could be traded. I am also not convinced that Oshawa is a true contender this coming season. They have lost a large part of their offence with Connor Lockhart, Stuart Rolofs, Rasmussen Kumpulainen and likely Dylan Roobroeck graduating. They are strong on defence and in goal with Jacob Oster. I do not think they the offensive or forward depth to contend. In my opinion they need to add an offensive centre, depth on the wings and a left shot defenceman. They have limited draft picks to make many moves. Carson Rehkopf could cost a 2007 or 2008 plus likely two, 2nds and two, 3rds. This would leave the Generals with only two, 2nds, three, 3rds and five, 4ths to make the other moves they need. Brantford and Brampton could outbid them in any deal for a top player.
You said it yourself there- they’re strong on defence and in goal? What would probably be the #1 need in that case? Offence. And I don’t think anybody’s going to do that better than Rehkopf this coming season.

Imagine a top line of Rehkopf-Ritchie-Sennecke. That would very likely be the best line in not only the OHL, but the whole CHL.

Would suck for Oshawa losing smith- sure but if it’s to get a guy like that after losing Lockhart, rolofs, kumpulainen, and roobroeck… you do it 10 times out of 10.

A lot of the team is coming back after making a run to the finals and falling short- similar to London against you guys. They won’t be making too many moves- but I think they’re a Rehkopf away from being the top contender in the east. And trust me- I don’t like the generals about as much as you probably don’t, but I’m trying to be realistic here and realistically speaking they’re going to be a team competing for that top spot in the east again this season.

Also I don’t think Brampton is going to get any barlows, Romani’s or Rehkopfs without their 08, Kingston is in the same boat. Barrie may be that third team buying big along with Brantford and Oshawa with Vaughan.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Only if Parker Vaughan is included...

Barlow would probably be the ideal LW for Beaudoin-Patterson, but would be a difficult transaction if Vaughn is the return.
Top 5 picks get traded in January about once every 25 years; and Barrie has 4 right shot forwards to go with 11 left shot forwards. Among the LW/C are five born 2005-08 selected in the 2nd round #24-26.
Instead of several pre-season trades of left shots to make room and save cards to make a later deal for Rehkopf or Barlow, why not just offer one 2nd LW/C each year of those born 2005-07?
If the colts are unable to acquire the player they covet without giving up the #5 selection and picks, I think the other side of the deal looks like Rehkopf and Andonovkski.

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Barlow would probably be the ideal LW for Beaudoin-Patterson, but would be a difficult transaction if Vaughn is the return.
Top 5 picks get traded in January about once every 25 years; and Barrie has 4 right shot forwards to go with 11 left shot forwards. Among the LW/C are five born 2005-08 selected in the 2nd round #24-26.
Instead of several pre-season trades of left shots to make room and save cards to make a later deal for Rehkopf or Barlow, why not just offer one 2nd LW/C each year of those born 2005-07?
If the colts are unable to acquire the player they covet without giving up the #5 selection and picks, I think the other side of the deal looks like Rehkopf and Andonovkski.
What would be the incentive for Owen Sound to even consider that package? They are shopping one of the best goal scorers in the league, why take another team's cast off collection package? If that's all Barrie wants to offer that's their prerogative but you're not going to bring in top end players fishing with an anchor.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What would be the incentive for Owen Sound to even consider that package? They are shopping one of the best goal scorers in the league, why take another team's cast off collection package? If that's all Barrie wants to offer that's their prerogative but you're not going to bring in top end players fishing with an anchor.

You’re asking for a top 5 selection and picks; that is probably not going to happen for one player. I believe a top 5 pick traded in January has happened twice, both times Sarnia; it is a rare occurrence.
Rehkopf, Barlow, maybe one of Lardis or Musty could be available; there probably will be a viable alternative to trading Vaugn. Also consider Brampton and Kingston likely don’t have an ‘08 to offer.
I really think if Vaugn is moved, it will be multi-player deal.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
You’re asking for a top 5 selection and picks; that is probably not going to happen for one player. I believe a top 5 pick traded in January has happened twice, both times Sarnia; it is a rare occurrence.
Rehkopf, Barlow, maybe one of Lardis or Musty could be available; there probably will be a viable alternative to trading Vaugn. Also consider Brampton and Kingston likely don’t have an ‘08 to offer.
I really think if Vaugn is moved, it will be multi-player deal.
I think that's the point though, if Barrie doesn't want to move their 1st round pick, that is totally their prerogative. There's other team's who will be in contention that I'm sure will move theirs. If you're Owen Sound you're likely doing business with another organization if the first round pick is the priority. If Barrie wants one of the top players available this year they may have to pay an undesirable price tag as a cost of doing business. I don't disagree on the sense of moving the #5 pick from the Barrie stand point but if you're Owen Sound I think it would have to be in the return.

Could there be a team that prefers a pick heavy package as apposed to a first rounder in return? Sure. I think objectively, looking at Owen Sound's roster, the 08 first rounder fits better with what appears to be their next contention window.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think that's the point though, if Barrie doesn't want to move their 1st round pick, that is totally their prerogative. There's other team's who will be in contention that I'm sure will move theirs. If you're Owen Sound you're likely doing business with another organization if the first round pick is the priority. If Barrie wants one of the top players available this year they may have to pay an undesirable price tag as a cost of doing business. I don't disagree on the sense of moving the #5 pick from the Barrie stand point but if you're Owen Sound I think it would have to be in the return.

Could there be a team that prefers a pick heavy package as apposed to a first rounder in return? Sure. I think objectively, looking at Owen Sound's roster, the 08 first rounder fits better with what appears to be their next contention window.

Barlow would certainly be a big prize. If made available, Vaughn could be the top prize.
Could the attack make an offer similar Rehkopf and Andonovski? In that deal Kitchener would get the ‘08 and picks they need.

To bring in a LW, Barrie will need to move 2-3 LW/C requiring multiple trades and possibly costing them limited cards in the process.
Do not be too quick to dismiss some of the colts’ four #24-26 picked LW/C born 2005-07 and ‘07-3rd LD plus picks.
Odds are that this year there are a greater number of the top players made available than there will be ‘08-1sts.

It’s looking like Brampton and Kingston cannot offer an ‘08-1st.
Erie and Sudbury are not likely in the market for the top LW/C. The wolves could falter and make Musty available, potentially flooding the market for the LW position.
Flint needs a centre most?
If Brantford is buying specifically for this year and manage to fill greater needs of defence and goaltending without using their ‘08-1st, the 14th selection could be made available. That one seems a bit of a stretch though. Again, Rehkopf and Andonovski might be more suitable.
Oshawa could very well make the 17th pick available.

It’s too early too speculate, but I’m thinking there might only be a couple ‘08s available.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
At the end of the day speculation is exactly that.

Right now no one knows really who or what will be moved from any team in this league. Right now there are certainly some question marks on who could be back or moved from this roster, but until we see any form of official announcement there are a lot of what ifs that could be on the table. Even if it includes a piece like Barlow or any other player who would be considered top-end talent, not saying it would happen or not the real question would be what would the return look like and who has the assets or pieces in their roster to make that move.

I'd say no one yet, teams would be very silly to think that and make a move for a piece(s) that have unknowns in place. Teams have to think a few different scenarios before I think will truly see any real splash in the deal front in this league. Like for starters who is or isn't coming back to their rosters this season and who maybe sent back after training camps wrap up. I think will see what this new coaching personal makes of what the returning roster will look like especially after camp is over.

Then will have an idea on if/or when will see anything in the deal front materialize or not. Until then there is going to be an number of possibilities that may or may not happen that will have to wait on once things get going...

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Barlow would certainly be a big prize. If made available, Vaughn could be the top prize.
Could the attack make an offer similar Rehkopf and Andonovski? In that deal Kitchener would get the ‘08 and picks they need.

To bring in a LW, Barrie will need to move 2-3 LW/C requiring multiple trades and possibly costing them limited cards in the process.
Do not be too quick to dismiss some of the colts’ four #24-26 picked LW/C born 2005-07 and ‘07-3rd LD plus picks.
Odds are that this year there are a greater number of the top players made available than there will be ‘08-1sts.

It’s looking like Brampton and Kingston cannot offer an ‘08-1st.
Erie and Sudbury are not likely in the market for the top LW/C. The wolves could falter and make Musty available, potentially flooding the market for the LW position.
Flint needs a centre most?
If Brantford is buying specifically for this year and manage to fill greater needs of defence and goaltending without using their ‘08-1st, the 14th selection could be made available. That one seems a bit of a stretch though. Again, Rehkopf and Andonovski might be more suitable.
Oshawa could very well make the 17th pick available.

It’s too early too speculate, but I’m thinking there might only be a couple ‘08s available.
If it was to be expanded beyond Barlow in order to convince Barrie to part with Vaughan in the return package, James Petrovksi could be part of the conversation. I would think they would like to keep him as an OA the following year but I have to imagine there will be interest around the league in Petrovski. Petrovski should play top pair minutes and will most likely be the PP1 QB in Owen Sound this year as a smooth skating 6'4" Dman. Getting Bleicher into Owen Sound would certainly soften the loss of Petrovski for the Attack making it a more palatable move.

Petrovski vs Andonovski isn't really a fair comparison as they are very different players stylistically. Petrovski isn't a very physical player but he uses his body well and has a good stick. He's comfortable carrying the puck up ice and can make a good first pass on a breakout. I expect he'll benefit from the most in Owen Sound from the graduations this past season and what that means for his role/playing time. Personally, I think he's the Attack's best all around Dman.

Reactions: dirty12

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Does Petrovski still play RD, or was he switched over?
He's a left shot D but he has played the right side in Owen Sound for stretches. He's very capable of playing his off side. I could see him playing the left side with Akey or playing the right side with Aitcheson in Barrie as a solid top 4 option depending on how they put together their D pairs. He's fairly versatile.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If it was to be expanded beyond Barlow in order to convince Barrie to part with Vaughan in the return package, James Petrovksi could be part of the conversation. I would think they would like to keep him as an OA the following year but I have to imagine there will be interest around the league in Petrovski. Petrovski should play top pair minutes and will most likely be the PP1 QB in Owen Sound this year as a smooth skating 6'4" Dman. Getting Bleicher into Owen Sound would certainly soften the loss of Petrovski for the Attack making it a more palatable move.

Petrovski vs Andonovski isn't really a fair comparison as they are very different players stylistically. Petrovski isn't a very physical player but he uses his body well and has a good stick. He's comfortable carrying the puck up ice and can make a good first pass on a breakout. I expect he'll benefit from the most in Owen Sound from the graduations this past season and what that means for his role/playing time. Personally, I think he's the Attack's best all around Dman.
I have no doubt Barrie would move Vaughan on a heartbeat if it meant getting Barlow

Reactions: Stellar29

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Screenshot_20240806-120239_Chrome.jpg
what a haul !!!!

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
This is a great haul for the Attack!
What DD does around building your team and keeping them competitive I think is often under appreciated. I would call him one of the better/ more constant GMs in the league.
I would say he's behind the times but credit where credit is due this is a good return for Guindon.

The biggest downside is the picks are pretty far down the road, but overall good value for an overage player (especially one who wants a fresh start) and those are the kinds of picks that could help them in a go for it year down the road.

Reactions: sbpointer

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Wow. They did way better than I was expecting. That is an excellent return.

I would say he's behind the times but credit where credit is due this is a good return for Guindon.

The biggest downside is the picks are pretty far down the road, but overall good value for an overage player (especially one who wants a fresh start) and those are the kinds of picks that could help them in a go for it year down the road.
I think you have to take into consideration the year of the picks in addition to the total return. The 2nd and 3rd rounders specifically fill holes in the Attack draft cupboard. The picks are further out but fill a need for Owen Sound which is a solid piece of business.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Wow. They did way better than I was expecting. That is an excellent return.

I think you have to take into consideration the year of the picks in addition to the total return. The 2nd and 3rd rounders specifically fill holes in the Attack draft cupboard. The picks are further out but fill a need for Owen Sound which is a solid piece of business.
That return was an absolute steal for CG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium