Proposal: Ovechkin to FLA

fashi13

Feb 13, 2008
Value for OV is a bit much from Florida’s side but neither team does this. OV is a bonifide superstar, captain, and franchise player of the capitals. No reason for Washington to do this. OV is everything to their franchise. Huberdeau has been phenomenal this year and the other two have been excellent as well. Makes no sense.
Exactly, Leonsis would trade his son before Ovi.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
One was traded because of a sketchy owner, the other was traded because he demanded one.
For whatever reason, they happened.

@trick9 From a Caps and fans standpoint, like I said after Klabob's answer, I can understand just saying no because it's OV. No argument necessary, really.

Any thing past that, I gave reason as to how it does make sense. For both. Realistically. Short and long term.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The only NHL team that Ovechkin will play for is the Capitals. Perhaps he plays for Dynamo Moscow against before his retirement from hockey, but the Caps aren't ever going to trade him.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wayne Gretzky and Patrick Roy were traded. Nobody is untradeable unless their contract is awful and so are they. Even then the Panthers would still do it LOL
Gretzky and Roy were traded after unforeseen and unique situations arose. Going by those parameters, sure, anyone could be traded. But that aside, it’s safe to say at this point Ovechkin is a Capital for life.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Gretzky and Roy were traded after unforeseen and unique situations arose. Going by those parameters, sure, anyone could be traded. But that aside, it’s safe to say at this point Ovechkin is a Capital for life.
Now do you really think the reason they were traded was my point in bringing them up, or was it to say even the best are traded for whatever reason?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
OV is more than his contributions to winning games.

He has now cemented as a legend in a city notorious for losing.

I'm not even a caps fan, and I would be really sad if OV were ever traded. It would be worse than watching Alfie or Modano in a wings uni.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Now do you really think the reason they were traded was my point in bringing them up, or was it to say even the best are traded for whatever reason?
No but what I’m saying is that if it’s only under highly unlikely and unforeseen circumstances that a player would be traded, it’s not very relevant to discuss a possible trade unless those scenarios do arise.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No but what I’m saying is that if it’s only under highly unlikely and unforeseen circumstances that a player would be traded, it’s not very relevant to discuss a possible trade unless those scenarios do arise.
Not everyday a team has to consider trading 3 A players in hopes of making some kind of difference in keeping fans in their building, located in FL not QC. For the whole league's interest, shared revenue, and the fact that all teams get an eventual break from the cold. Most eastern cold teams twice a year at that.

This is a very unique situation.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Main reason I wouldnt do it is because you have no replacment for such strong players. Hubrdeau is a elite star, he will score 70p+ each season, Dadonov can achieve 30-40g and hoffman is playing top line elite ( pace to 82p) it's too much for OVY due to his age. You will lose more due to the numbers of pieces attached to the deal imo.

Fair value for a younger Ovy imo, but not logical for Florida. honestly FLO needs to change to an other city, doesn't make sense to have such a strong top 6 and still be bottom

Huberdeau: Score 70+ points each season (yet he's never reached 70 points one time)

Dadonov: Can acheive 30-40, has career high of 28 done once.

Hoffman: Scored 61 once.

You can't bundle 3 guys like this and get one Ovechkin. That's not how the NHL works.

Two of the guys are only a couple years younger than Ovi so expecting continued development in their play is sketchy at best. Huberdeau is in his 7th year, so you know what he is.

I take Ovi and the difference in cap between him and those three guys over those three guys. Ovi and a player making ~5.5M > those three.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Ovechkin is not beeing traded on this contract (2 years left after this season). If he keeps playing after that he will have a NMC for the rest of his career on his next contracts. He is retiring in DC.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
OV is more than his contributions to winning games.

He has now cemented as a legend in a city notorious for losing.

I'm not even a caps fan, and I would be really sad if OV were ever traded. It would be worse than watching Alfie or Modano in a wings uni.
While they would keep Washington winning, and fans in the stands, Florida desperately needs what Jagr's age ended prematurely for the development of our prospect logjam.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

But the whole reason why either was traded makes those two examples irrelevant. If Ovi demands to be traded, you revisit. If the league somehow alters the CBA to allow you to sell players again and get money back in trades, you revisit. Gretzky wasn't traded, he was sold and players changed hands with the cash.

Absent those two completely unique and therefore not applicable scenarios, players like Ovechkin do not get traded. And please tell me how it makes sense for the Caps (who have a lot of work to do to keep their cap straight as it is) get better by dealing the best player in the trade, picking up ~5.5M in cap (4M with Connolly included)? If I'm the Caps, I keep Ovi and then I go and sign my Dadonov equivalent (player who can pot 20-30 goals with a good year) for around 4M.

Ovi + hypothetical 4M player who can do what Dadonov does > Hoffman, Huberdeau, and Dadonov.

Reactions: tgo0

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Not only Caps say no because it's Ovie...but what interest does Ovie have here ?

He just spent more than half of his NHL career trying to accomplish something with Washington and in the end only getting one cup (so far).

If you give all that from Florida for Ovie, well it's like Ovie just joined the NHL and has to carry the Florida Panthers like he did carry the Washington Capitals for years before finally scoring the big win.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
To be fair those are more than quarters.

fine, 3 half dollars don't get you a dollar... when you take into account that at the bottom end of your roster, you have a minimum you HAVE to spend on players.

Gotta buy 23 things for 8 bucks and at the bottom end, you have to spend 10 cents on each. Getting 3 .50 pieces instead of 1 1.00 piece actually limits your flexibility.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
fine, 3 half dollars don't get you a dollar... when you take into account that at the bottom end of your roster, you have a minimum you HAVE to spend on players.

Gotta buy 23 things for 8 bucks and at the bottom end, you have to spend 10 cents on each. Getting 3 .50 pieces instead of 1 1.00 piece actually limits your flexibility.
I can get behind this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad