Ovechkin becomes sixth member of 700/700 club

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
He is comically overrated at this point.

A flashier Brett Hull who cherry picks in obvious defensive situations to pad his stats.

He scores a ton and so does the other team while he’s out there.

Not saying he isn’t an all time great.

But I could easily think of 20 guys who would help you more in a must win game 7.
Yeah he is such a bum. He only had 31 goals last season - tied for 36th among 751 skaters.

Fire his ass into the sun. He's just so comically overrated....

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Yeah he is such a bum. He only had 31 goals last season - tied for 36th among 751 skaters.

Fire his ass into the sun. He's just so comically overrated....

And the other team scored 22 more goals against.

Even a guy scored 100 goals, it wouldn’t matter if he caused 101 at the other end of the ice.

The whole point is to be a net positive.

He’s only a career plus 45 despite being the second highest scorer of his era and playing on numerous first place teams. He should be way higher but isn’t.

He’s dangerous at both ends of the ice.

And it’s not just me saying that.

His own coach Bruce Boudreau was the one who first talked about how much standing around and cherry picking he does.

Reporter: “What did you think of Alex tonight?”

Boudreau: “Alex was good with the puck tonight.”

Reporter: “Are you saying he wasn’t good without the puck?”

Said night after night.

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.

He’s entertaining and sells tickets.

It’s comical to think people believe his game is top 10 best of all time.

But most people think hockey is just stats and highlights.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
He’s only a career plus 45
Do you know that overhyped Sid just running away from minuses to the bench? That was the main reason PIT didn't get the PO spot last year.
Plus/minus is a trash stat. Cheaters absolutely can rig this stat. One like Ovechkin prefers to stay on the ice, the other like Sid prefers fake pluses to frame his teammates (usually it's Malkin).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Voight and Ignatius

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He is comically overrated at this point.

A flashier Brett Hull who cherry picks in obvious defensive situations to pad his stats.

He scores a ton and so does the other team while he’s out there.

Not saying he isn’t an all time great.

But I could easily think of 20 guys who would help you more in a must win game 7.

I'm guessing the other 9 guys in that top 10 list for ViD are also Russian.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
The splits on that list really highlight how selfish he is as a player
I've watched Ovechkin be the only person on the team even capable of regularly scoring more than 25 goals for the better part of a decade and still manage to generally stay in the 3-4 spot for assists. Who's he supposed to be passing to?

You people are weird.

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
And the other team scored 22 more goals against.

Even a guy scored 100 goals, it wouldn’t matter if he caused 101 at the other end of the ice.

The whole point is to be a net positive.

He’s only a career plus 45 despite being the second highest scorer of his era and playing on numerous first place teams. He should be way higher but isn’t.

He’s dangerous at both ends of the ice.

And it’s not just me saying that.

His own coach Bruce Boudreau was the one who first talked about how much standing around and cherry picking he does.

Reporter: “What did you think of Alex tonight?”

Reporter: “Are you saying he wasn’t good without the puck?”

Said night after night.

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.

He’s entertaining and sells tickets.

It’s comical to think people believe his game is top 10 best of all time.

But most people think hockey is just stats and highlights.
definitely does some coasting and standing around without the puck. His defensive game lacks but he is also a winger, the least responsible position on the team defensively. So you cannot use your net positive statement the way your intending. Ovi scoring 100 goals is a positive every single time, no matter what, while him being on the ice for 100 goals against does not tell the story. He is no defensive dynamo but if you wish to compare it the way that you are, then you must figure out what percentage of defense does a winger factor into. If Ovi stands at the point literally having a conversation with the dman, doing absolutely nothing but that dman is also doing absolutely nothing, ovi has done his job even if his team is scored against. Its kind of the same with the assists. The goal is the goal every time, no matter what. An assist could be a player sending it back to his dman and going for a change or the unbelievable pass to the guy hiding on the back door.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I've watched Ovechkin be the only person on the team even capable of regularly scoring more than 25 goals on his team for the better part of a decade and still manage to generally stay in the 3-4 spot for assists on the squad. Who's he supposed to be passing to?

You people are weird.
The biggest problem with the Capitals in the Ovechkin era is that the caps GM has always been out GMed by the far superior Penguins GM. The Capitals haven't even tried to build a competitive team around Ovechkin after the original great caps team from 2007-2011 fell apart. And when they tried something it was stupid stuff like Forsberg for Erat, which set Ovechkin back a lot when it comes to assists. Meanwhile the Penguins GM have kept bringing in quality support players who could actually play hockey like Kunitz, Hossa, Iginla, Jussi Jokinen, Guentzel, Phil Kessel, Neal, Mark Recchi, Jeff Carter and Erik Karlsson. Imagine if Ovechkin's GM brought in Kunitz, Hossa, Iginla, Jussi Jokinen, Guentzel, Phil Kessel, Neal, Mark Recchi, Jeff Carter and Erik Karlsson for him to play with. Well I think we could all agree that Ovechkin would be way past 800 assists right now if that was the case!

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I've watched Ovechkin be the only person on the team even capable of regularly scoring more than 25 goals on his team for the better part of a decade and still manage to generally stay in the 3-4 spot for assists on the squad. Who's he supposed to be passing to?

You people are weird.
This is nothing new for the Capitals. Peter Bondra typically doubled the goal output of the next closest teammate. He's one of 2 players with over 500 goals and under 500 assists. The other is Maurice Richard who played on dynasty teams with numerous hall of famers every year. If Bondra had teammates to pass to he would have more assists and probably be in the HHOF.

I think it's pretty clear dating back to the 1st half of last season that Ovechkin's primary focus was eclipsing 700 assists. Now that he achieved it he can focus on scoring goals again, which comes more naturally to him. :help:

Reactions: Block

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
yes, he was incredibly physical, incredibly productive, and incredibly durable.

1785196-Alexander-Ovechkin-Quote-I-m-okay-Russian-machine-never-breaks.jpg

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018

Alexander The Great
His name struck fear in the heart of goalies
Alexander The Great
Became a God amongst mortal defensemen

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Interesting that he’s the only player with more goals than assists. I wonder what other players goal scoring totals would be if they focused on goal scoring as much as Ovi.

Either way, it’s an elite list. He’s one of the best of all time.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Interesting that he’s the only player with more goals than assists. I wonder what other players goal scoring totals would be if they focused on goal scoring as much as Ovi.

Either way, it’s an elite list. He’s one of the best of all time.

You could also invert that statement and wonder how many assists Ovi would have if he had a pass-first mentality. I would imagine he’d be well over 1,000.

Either way, being the greatest goal scorer in the history of the sport is a far more prestigious accomplishment. He will hopefully retire as the sole member of the 900 goal club.

Reactions: PM88RU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad