Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
McDavid right now..

McDavid.jpg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember when the flyers came back against the bruins in 2010, and the kings over the Sharks after that.... so I think it's happened 4 times in history.

What I started thinking about is whether the team up 3-0 has ever won when they get pushed to game 7?

Is it possible that in those situations, the team up 3-0 has lost all game 7s?

I can only recall a couple times since I started following the nhl that the team down 0-3 pushes their opponent to game 7, and both times, the 0-3 completed the comeback.

The flyer Bruin series was crazy because the bruins went up 3-0 in that game 7, and then lost the game 4-3.... just exactly the way the whole series ended up going.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I remember when the flyers came back against the bruins in 2010, and the kings over the Sharks after that.... so I think it's happened 4 times in history.

What I started thinking about is whether the team up 3-0 has ever won when they get pushed to game 7?

Is it possible that in those situations, the team up 3-0 has lost all game 7s?

I can only recall a couple times since I started following the nhl that the team down 0-3 pushes their opponent to game 7, and both times, the 0-3 completed the comeback.

The flyer Bruin series was crazy because the bruins went up 3-0 in that game 7, and then lost the game 4-3.... just exactly the way the whole series ended up going.
In the 2011 playoffs it actually happened twice where Vancouver and San Jose had 3-0 leads and both got forced to game 7 and they both won the series.

For the first time in the history of major professional sports in North America, two different teams came back from a 3–0 deficit to tie a series, with the Chicago Blackhawks forcing game seven against the Vancouver Canucks in the first round, and the Detroit Red Wings doing the same against the San Jose Sharks in the second round (both lost).

Reactions: Banjo Cat

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Didn't the Red Wings come back from 3 - 0 and lose not so many years ago.

I have no memory of the Detroit series, but I can't believe I forgot that chicago/vancouver series because it happened right in my backyard.

Toews scored shorthanded with like a minute left in game 7 to push it to OT..... absolutely wild stuff.

Anyways, seeing as we have seen two teams complete the comeback within the last 15 years and at least another couple teams push it to 7 games.... I guess 3-0 series leads are not as iron clad as they used to be.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I have no memory of the Detroit series, but I can't believe I forgot that chicago/vancouver series because it happened right in my backyard.

Toews scored shorthanded with like a minute left in game 7 to push it to OT..... absolutely wild stuff.

I know I watched that series because I followed the Canucks closely that year, but for some reason it's the Detroit series that I remember.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Man, I would love to go to Texas and watch a Stars game. I'm big into BBQ and have at least a dozen places I want to try. One trip Im hoping of doing one day is Texas, New Orleans and Tennessee.

McDavid did 33 in 16 two seasons ago.

That said, he has somehow found another gear, which I didn't think was possible.
The other thing about Lemieux though, he scored a crap ton of goals. The year he had 34 in 15 games? He had 16 goals!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The other thing about Lemieux though, he scored a crap ton of goals. The year he had 34 in 15 games? He had 16 goals!

Greatest individual hockey player I've ever watched... Hands down.

Gretzky had the better career, but at his peak, no one yet matches Lemieux in their ability to single handedly take apart the opponent.

Didn't see Orr live, so can't rate him...

as great as McD is, he's no Mario.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Man, if only Draisaitl and Nuge can do something, game 6 is gonna be wild.

Wonder how banged up Panthers are? Tkachuk’s post game, he mentioned they’ll “heal up” during the break until Friday. Could just be a throwaway, hockey cliche comment but Cats are looking slow.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was pretty young when Gretzky retired but the way he was talked about by my parents, talking heads on TV, and then as I got older looking and his stats - then growing up in a time when Benn won an Art Ross with like 90 points. I truly thought I'd never see something like this. Even with Crosby hitting his potential he was never able to put up production like this.

Blessed to see Ovechkin chase down the goal record but really puts it in perspective to appreciate what McDavid is doing, especially this run.. 40 points in a playoff run.. that's f***ing insanity.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Imagine the pressure on the Panthers...... Coasting to a 3-0 lead and now..... The Oilers on the other hand have nothing much to lose, at least no more than "the impossible task since 1942" chant they hear since last week.

In fact, how many times a SCF went 3-0? I mean, it's all well and good to say it did not happen since 1942, but if a 3-0 lead happens once a decade, well, that's not much data in 80 years.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was pretty young when Gretzky retired but the way he was talked about by my parents, talking heads on TV, and then as I got older looking and his stats - then growing up in a time when Benn won an Art Ross with like 90 points. I truly thought I'd never see something like this. Even with Crosby hitting his potential he was never able to put up production like this.

Blessed to see Ovechkin chase down the goal record but really puts it in perspective to appreciate what McDavid is doing, especially this run.. 40 points in a playoff run.. that's f***ing insanity.

I was fortunate to watch Gretzky and Mario in their primes. Granted, goalies were a little sus during Gretzky’s era but the way he processed the game and was just so ahead of the play was remarkable.

That said, in terms of talent, I always felt Mario was better. He was crazy productive in the early years of clutch and grab and physically I thought had more tools.

McDavid though, he’s just insane. He has Gretzky’s instincts and many of Mario’s tools. Throw in some Bure speed and McD is just nuts. Now, now, before everyone takes what I said out of context, I am not saying McDavid is better than all three combined nor necessarily saying he is superior than those players at various traits, but at least in the past couple decades, and I’m including guys like Ovi and Crosby, McDavid is the best player I’ve seen.

Imagine the pressure on the Panthers...... Coasting to a 3-0 lead and now..... The Oilers on the other hand have nothing much to lose, at least no more than "the impossible task since 1942" chant they hear since last week.

In fact, how many times a SCF went 3-0? I mean, it's all well and good to say it did not happen since 1942, but if a 3-0 lead happens once a decade, well, that's not much data in 80 years.

The pressure has got to be building for sure, definitely pressure will be on Florida in game six. If this goes seven though, Edmonton is definitely going to feel it, not that they don’t now.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
I'm 52 years old. In my lifetime, McDavid is the ONLY player I've witness that makes the NHL look like there's still a better league to play in.
I was talking to my dad after the game and he said what McDavid is doing is what it was like to watch Bobby Orr. Vastly superior physical tools in comparison to his peers.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
Win or lose, is there a better candidate for mvp than Mcdavid right now?

I don't see one.
I hate giving the Conn Smythe to a player on the losing team, because it just feels off, but I legitimately can't make the case for anyone else.
McDavid's dominant finals pretty much disqualifies a Barkov whose strongest claim was from expert defensive play in rounds 1-3. And Bobrovsky has looked very human these last few games.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I go back to Bobby Orr and Lafleur, and watched Gretzky from day-one. Lemieux remains the single most dominant player I've ever seen. Others have had better careers, none have surpassed his peak.

But McDavid comes close. I even allow for the possibility that Mario's reputation has been burnished by time and his talent maybe enhanced a bit because it's seen only in highlight videos. By contrast, we watch McDavid 20+ minutes a night, which includes plenty of shifts where nothing happens. I think we'll need a little time to step back and digest McDavid's impact on the game before we can objectively rank him next to the all-time greats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad