HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I mixed up Draisailt and McDavid. To my credit, I didn't really check the name, just the total of pts. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure it's more 3< PPG that McDavid would need to be to carry this team with a sieve in net to the cup too.

And I don't remember many people complaining about Price's performance in the playoff the way people are complaining about McDavid's.

People expect him to dominate every shift, every game. It doesn't help his coach played him 30+ minutes in 3 straight games when Vancouver is being pretty physical with him. The crosschecks, slashes, hits, start to add up.

We will see tonight what is left in the gas tank, but it looked pretty empty in G5.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
People expect him to dominate every shift, every game. It doesn't help his coach played him 30+ minutes in 3 straight games when Vancouver is being pretty physical with him. The crosschecks, slashes, hits, start to add up.

We will see tonight what is left in the gas tank, but it looked pretty empty in G5.
Vancouver is doing a great job of swarming him as soon as he has the puck. He has no space.

It’s like the Covid season when the Habs just had Danault shadow him every time they played. He seems to wilt when he doesn’t have the space to go vroom vroom around everyone.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They have been in almost every game with terrible goalltending and McDavid needing to do more. With a good goaltender and McDavid contributing goals they would be dangerous.

Mcdavid isn't the problem. Their goaltending is one of their problems though, and I've been banging that drum for a long time only to have people bring up his goals against average save percentage etc...

You go into the playoffs and weed out the bad teams, it's no longer something you can mask... I don't care if you're mcdavid or whoever.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It's a great starting point...my point which I assumed was obvious is that management ignored other holes such as goal tending and other issues. If you can't build a decent team around 2 superstars...
It's all about drafting properly. Many teams are able to land superstars when they get multiple top 5 picks. Very few are actually able to surround them properly with lower picks. It does not help when a team like the Oilers gives a monstrous contract to a player like Nurse.

Reactions: Tyson

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not joking, defending or saying we would have made picks like Kreider or Carlson. It's just that there was a period of time in the middle years of his tenure where our drafting was worse (this is undeniable) and we went with a lot of bigger but less athletic players than those who were picked during the bookend years at both the start and end of his tenure. Churla was put in a senior role in the scouting department during those middle years and was clearly given a lot of say by his cronies who all played as non-stars in the NHL during that same era.

We all know why Leblanc was picked. That was before Churla and the irony is we left Kreider on the board after years of taking several US High School kids.
We saw that at the table, it was Bergevin and Timmins right beside him. And then they do ask Churla his opinion to confirm. There is NO WAY that I,ll ever believe that if Timmins completely disagreed with a call, that they'd do it anyway. No way. Maybe sometimes they didn't pick his 1st choice....but that's what happens when you work as a group. Maybe sometimes he was convinced. But that's it though. He was.

Look at the vid when the Caufield pick was made. After Bergevin and Timmins had already agreed, Churla only said..yeah...we need a scorer. So Churla also was fine with picking an undersize one-dimensional scorer.

And while we don't know entirely what is in the inside, but the only thing we can say is what's out there.

Timmins comments on Crisp: “He’s a heck of an athlete and he’s tough. Yes, we addressed a need drafting him. At some point, you have to. He was out there to protect Connor McDavid and he scored a few goals as well”

and look at his comments on Lernout. It doesn't strike as somebody he didn't want...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Lmao I was wearing my John Klingberg Dallas Stars jersey while I was out grocery shopping to celebrate their series win and this guy looks at me, shakes his head, and goes "outdated jersey, my friend..." and I just laughed and said "yeah, I gotta update it, especially for a player who's so shitty now too"
Klingberg must be shaking his head whenever he remembers that he rejected the Stars contract offer. So much money and security lost over greed.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Oils meltdown open the possibility of one of McDrai ending up on the Bruins or wtv eastern team so go Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad