HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This is all on Holland. He made some good moves like Ekholm, but really destroyed the teams ability to sign depth with the Nurse and Campbell signings. Such an overrated GM.
That was pretty much his only good move in terms of trades. He also signed Hyman, which has been a massive win for the Oilers, but that's almost, if not entirely wiped out by Nurse.

They would rather hold onto their 1sts and draft almost nothing of value, like Bergevin.

Unless there's an absolute miracle the Oilers are done and they probably need to tear it down. Yes, that seems rather ridiculous given they're in the cup finals, but....

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Regardless of all the issues with Edmonton’s team building, non-clutch goaltending and McDrai going cold, Florida is one great team.

I did feel Oilers dominated most of their opponents, but they’ve had stretches of poor play in between that going into the finals, I did feel they were kinda fortunate.

Florida just handled everyone period. Despite losing a game here and there, I never felt they were in any danger of losing any of the series they were in.

While Florida doesn’t have as much “homegrown” talent as Edmonton, they have proven shrewd trades and signings works and you don’t need a generational star to win a cup.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Florida and Dallas are the closest models we can replicate due to how our rebuild has gone, so I remain hopeful that Hughes can continue doing what Zito has done and find undervalued players in bad organizations, or buried players on good organizations, and bring them in.

Bennett, Reinhart, Montour, Forsling, and Verhaege. What a job.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Florida and Dallas are the closest models we can replicate due to how our rebuild has gone, so I remain hopeful that Hughes can continue doing what Zito has done and find undervalued players in bad organizations, or buried players on good organizations, and bring them in.

Agreed. As much as Bedard last year would had been sweet for us, the Florida model would be a good one. I sorta am with you on Dallas though I think id like to be a “harder” team.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
McDavid and Drai should leave and never look back. Don’t turn into Carey Price-types, sacrifice your health and legacy for a bad GM and owner.

Reactions: MasterD

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

You can add Rodrigues and Mikola to that list. Heck, even Ekman-Larsson and Kulikov( they drafted him initially, but you get what I'm saying) have been giving them quality minutes as depth adds.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I read some of the reactions here and it is comical. Most of you remember that the Panthers convincingly lost last year's finals right? Losing a series 4-3 or getting swept makes no difference but the experience gained will allow the team to make tweaks to the roster and give it another try next year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
That trade with the Flames put the Panthers over the top.They were getting there but that robbery from Calgary did it.The Oilers are a very good team and will be back.Drai ,Nurse ,Kane and probably a few more injuries we don't know about didn't help their cause.Skinner had to stand out and he was far from that.They need a new goalie .

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I read some of the reactions here and it is comical. Most of you remember that the Panthers convincingly lost last year's finals right? Losing a series 4-3 or getting swept makes no difference but the experience gained will allow the team to make tweaks to the roster and give it another try next year.
Tell that to Ducharme, Bargainbin & co.

A poorly built roster that finds itself in the finals, only to be soundly outclassed by the opposition, can also falsely validate the approach...

Losing is losing, but how you lose is informative. How the Oilers management learn from the experience & what they do with that learning is what matters most.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That trade with the Flames put the Panthers over the top.They were getting there but that robbery from Calgary did it.The Oilers are a very good team and will be back.Drai ,Nurse ,Kane and probably a few more injuries we don't know about didn't help their cause.Skinner had to stand out and he was far from that.They need a new goalie .
It will be sad to see a gutless cockroach like Tkachuk win a Cup. Especillay since he had no interest in winning a Cup or he wouldn't have been willing to go to a team that was nothing at that time. Muist be the first time that family has won anything.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I would go insane if we had a player like McDavid and our GM was clutching 2nds to roll a Skinner-Pickard tandem in the playoffs. Dumbest part is Skinner might even be decent enough to win a cup with if they just traded for a decent 1B so they didn't have to run him into the ground playing 60 games a year.

Just can't fathom the thought process that says "Yep, Brett Kulak is a guy I will gladly spend a 2nd on but there's no way I could ever trade a 2nd for a goalie!!!!!"

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I would go insane if we had a player like McDavid and our GM was clutching 2nds to roll a Skinner-Pickard tandem in the playoffs. Dumbest part is Skinner might even be decent enough to win a cup with if they just traded for a decent 1B so they didn't have to run him into the ground playing 60 games a year.

Just can't fathom the thought process that says "Yep, Brett Kulak is a guy I will gladly spend a 2nd on but there's no way I could ever trade a 2nd for a goalie!!!!!"
Presumably it would have cost far more than a 2nd to get a very good goaltender and Holland refuses to trade anything of value.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Dwayne Roloson when they last went to the Finals. Then his own player MAB injured him and that likely lost them the series.
Oh MAB. He was legendary!!! I will never forget him.

Perhaps Habs could trade Carey Price to Edm for some decent young pieces. Broberg, Holloway, and their first. And get the D stalwart Brett Kulak back too. It's a gamble by Edm but... no guts - no coconuts. :D

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

and campbell in the ahl. big time fail

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Absolutely true. Yet....you also need a unreal insane player like Barkov to make it all work. You also need top picks that plays like top picks. And you need the value of a top pick to help, see Huberdeau. Huberdeau got you Tkachuk. Florida has been really average at the draft table....but when it counted the most....they were able to get some guys there. And needless to say that the players you mentioned, Reinhart, everybody there were indirect draft products. Reinhart for Levi and 1st, Bennett for Heineman and pick, And Montour...well a pick too under special circumstances...Add Forsling from waivers and geez...the only player signed there was Verhaege....

Insane job indeed.

So you did go insane when we had a player like Price and our GM was clutching our picks to roll Desharnais and Cie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad