HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

Briere predicting there will be fireworks between Torts and Michkov.
Crazy thing to say to the media.

Hasn’t Briere been overly honest since he came in as GM? Could be wrong, I can’t remember on top of my head but I feel like I already heard him say a bunch of wild stuff?

Either he needs more media training or he doesn’t give a damn and just says what he thinks.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Briere predicting there will be fireworks between Torts and Michkov.
Crazy thing to say to the media.
One of two things will happen there, Torts gets fired or the kid goes back to Russia. I'm thinking that the first option is more likely. For whatever reason, Torts wont ever relinquish the title of being the leagues biggest Ahole and he continues to get fired because of it. He won a cup, great but that was 20 years ago.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One of two things will happen there, Torts gets fired or the kid goes back to Russia. I'm thinking that the first option is more likely. For whatever reason, Torts wont ever relinquish the title of being the leagues biggest Ahole and he continues to get fired because of it. He won a cup, great but that was 20 years ago.
A match made in heaven. It's a good thing Sean Couturier is there to help keep a lid on things. :laugh:

Reactions: OldCraig71

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'd say Torts despite his antics is still a good coach. He's the best dinosaur left.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'd say Torts despite his antics is still a good coach. He's the best dinosaur left.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. He seems hell-bent on winning games 2-1 and having the perfect defensive/grinding game en route to victory. He despises creativity and offense/irresponsible play. He seems to be the type of coach who tries to fit every player into the same mold and demands it or else.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
I'm afraid I have to disagree. He seems hell-bent on winning games 2-1 and having the perfect defensive/grinding game en route to victory. He despises creativity and offense/irresponsible play. He seems to be the type of coach who tries to fit every player into the same mold and demands it or else.
Boy, does that descripton ever remind me of a "Moar grinding" coach that the Habs used to have...

Reactions: OldCraig71

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Quebec City deserves a team. Bettman eyeing big tv money. I think NHL team could make go of it in York also. But Atlanta has big tv potential. Why Bettman hung onto Phoenix so long. If that was Quebec City or Ottawa, team been gone 10 years ago.

QC is a small Canadian city with limited growth over the years. Whenever the economy tanks and the building isnt full, QC and Winnipeg will always be vulnerable, and we are already seeing cracks in winnipeg even though they have only been back for about a decade.

In places like phoenix-scottsdale, you have the potential to build something more permanent and add value to your broadcasting property. By the way, one of the issues was that this team wasn't even playing in the Phoenix area. They played in glendale which was a much more remote area.

The ownership took a risk to invest in a new entertainment area in glendale and then the 08 recession hit, and much of that project got abandoned, leaving a hockey rink in the middle of nowhere.

Phoenix-scottsdale will be back one day. QC is the league's insurance policy incase some team needs to move quickly and other larger markets do not have their ducks in order to pull the trigger at the right time. That's basically how winnipeg came back.

Reactions: RandomTask26

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Owen Beck could be the next Tomas Plekanec. He’s the type of player that can play all over your lineup because he’s a very smart center. If he’s put in a situation where you need offense, he can do it. If he’s put in a situation where you need defense, he can do it.

As an organization, getting a player that’s going to be able to fill a specific role long-term is exciting. I see him play and I’m excited about his potential.” - Sean Campbell

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
QC is a small Canadian city with limited growth over the years. Whenever the economy tanks and the building isnt full, QC and Winnipeg will always be vulnerable, and we are already seeing cracks in winnipeg even though they have only been back for about a decade.

In places like phoenix-scottsdale, you have the potential to build something more permanent and add value to your broadcasting property. By the way, one of the issues was that this team wasn't even playing in the Phoenix area. They played in glendale which was a much more remote area.

The ownership took a risk to invest in a new entertainment area in glendale and then the 08 recession hit, and much of that project got abandoned, leaving a hockey rink in the middle of nowhere.

Phoenix-scottsdale will be back one day. QC is the league's insurance policy incase some team needs to move quickly and other larger markets do not have their ducks in order to pull the trigger at the right time. That's basically how winnipeg came back.

You're living in a Dreamworld just like Bettman. The potential growth in Phoenix will never ever materializes. In sport, interest has always trumped population. The NHL is run by science-fiction/fantasy writers who imagine a potential hockey market in places where there is no logic to be. The reason why UFC has grown so much is that they stick to the facts. They go where the biggest interest to their product is! You love UFC? OMG we are gonna give it to you over and over until it becomes your Church! NHL: You love our product? f*** You! We're gonna try to seduce a land of zombies and someday they might show a pulse of interest. Cause there are many zombies, you see.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You're living in a Dreamworld just like Bettman. The potential growth in Phoenix will never ever materializes. In sport, interest has always trumped population. The NHL is run by science-fiction/fantasy writers who imagine a potential hockey market in places where there is no logic to be. The reason why UFC has grown so much is that they stick to the facts. They go where the biggest interest to their product is! You love UFC? OMG we are gonna give it to you over and over until it becomes your Church! NHL: You love our product? f*** You! We're gonna try to seduce a land of zombies and someday they might show a pulse of interest. Cause there are many zombies, you see.

There's a middle ground in between the two extremes you presented (through JY's post).

On the one hand, there's really no hockey market left to develop in Canada outside areas that are already greatly exploited. Short of having a team sharing either Mtl, Tor or Van's territory, there's really no place with the proper demography and financial pedigree needed for a succesful venture. Among the few options left in occupied territories, QC isn't the best option either.

On the other hand, the league's obsession with infinite growth will end-up watering down the product, on top of taking legacy fans for granted, which will probably one day lead to decline.

Reactions: Leto

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Should listen to latest Spittin Chicklets, boys don’t think very highly of Mitchkov’s skating and overall ability to play the game of hockey other than All Star game skills competition - Verbeek also explains what he looks for in a hockey player & why Sennecke fits that mold.

Torts isn’t getting fired because Mitchkov only knows how to play in one zone - from offensive blue line in. Briere / Philly org know it hence why Danny boy stated it publicly

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Pro sports in the US, is no longer about the actual product or people showing up to the game as much as it is about the ancillary benefits that can be packaged. TBAY wasn’t about winning 2-Cups it was Vinik developing riverfront property in & around the arena, now that it’s been developed and pumping out lots of $, he’s selling the team.

Such lucrative business proposition is non existent in Quebec City, but CAN happen in downtown Phoenix with the right owner… like Utah has or Houston & Atlanta are about to get.

Reactions: overlords

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad