HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just realized Seider and Raymond are not sigend yet. Is Yzerman lowballing them?
Maybe Yzerman is trying to emulate Hughes but those guys want nothing to do with it not believing in his vision.
I mean after all he put together a squad that could not beat us to claim a playoff spot. :popcorn:
This coming on the heels of pulling up the pegs the previous season for a chance at a lottery ticket.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Naming Matthews captain given how he underperforms in the postseason is a strange decision. Ideally, you'd want someone who battles their ass off when it matters the most rather than solely relying on skill.
I honestly thought they'd wait until Tavares contract came to an end. Some teams still do that. Most though are choosing their star player. From looking at their roster. I'm not sure who I'd pick, instead of Matthews.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
captain_underpants.jpg

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I honestly thought they'd wait until Tavares contract came to an end. Some teams still do that. Most though are choosing their star player. From looking at their roster. I'm not sure who I'd pick, instead of Matthews.
Which is a stupid choice unless the star player has amazing work ethic, charisma and leadership abilities instead of being a big ego with prima donna "qualities".

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Was inevitable they'll triple-down on Matthews.

Tavares didn't have a transformative effect on the Leafs but they didn't need that from him, they needed him to help carry the load Matthews+Marner were meant to primarily carry.

I'll always defend the acquisition of Tavares as a UFA. He did everything expected from a UFA and the Leafs (or any other team) would be smart to make that signing 10 times out of 10. As an all-tools centreman he was just a notch under PPG for the Leafs with 419pts in 440gp (0.95ppg) which is slightly better than his PPG as an Islander player (0.92ppg) albeit in a higher-scoring era.

His playoff stats are not particularly good but it's not appropriate to singularly blame Tavares for what is clearly a systematic issue in Toronto, across the board, spanning years.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He's going to go down as the greatest goal scorer in their franchise history. He's the face of the team, and like you said nobody else really stands out to be a contender for that C. I mean, the best alternative I can think of off the top of head besides matthews is Morgan reilly, and that seems like a pretty meh option to begin with.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Was inevitable they'll triple-down on Matthews.

Tavares didn't have a transformative effect on the Leafs but they didn't need that from him, they needed him to help carry the load Matthews+Marner were meant to primarily carry.

I'll always defend the acquisition of Tavares as a UFA. He did everything expected from a UFA and the Leafs (or any other team) would be smart to make that signing 10 times out of 10. As an all-tools centreman he was just a notch under PPG for the Leafs with 419pts in 440gp (0.95ppg) which is slightly better than his PPG as an Islander player (0.92ppg) albeit in a higher-scoring era.

His playoff stats are not particularly good but it's not appropriate to singularly blame Tavares for what is clearly a systematic issue in Toronto, across the board, spanning years.
Agreed. Tavares was a high-end UFA who any team would've coveted, including us. The problem wasn't Tavares the player, it was Tavares the contract standard. His salary set the scale for their other star forwards, who realized they were better than their captain and demanded to be paid more. The Leafs have been crippled by a wildly unbalanced cap structure ever since.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed. Tavares was a high-end UFA who any team would've coveted, including us. The problem wasn't Tavares the player, it was Tavares the contract standard. His salary set the scale for their other star forwards, who realized they were better than their captain and demanded to be paid more.
The salary hurt for sure. They should’ve negotiated harder with him. Moreover they should’ve negotiated harder with their own players as well.

All that being said, Tavares getting hurt wrecked the value of that move as well. He was never the same after that.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Yeah... embarassing Tavares....that should inspire the Leafs. Bush-league move.
Ah well, should be entertaining watching Leaf management spin this as positive for the upcoming season.
Tavares to habs E4 😆 surprised "habs fanatics" the premier garbage rumor site hasn't spun this yet.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The salary hurt for sure. They should’ve negotiated harder with him. Moreover they should’ve negotiated harder with their own players as well.

All that being said, Tavares getting hurt wrecked the value of that move as well. He was never the same after that.
That's what worries me about UFAs. It's great to sign a top player, but then you have to deal with the domino effect on the rest of your roster. Dubas screwed his cap structure by allowing Tavares to become the yardstick for everyone else.

People are criticizing Hughes for not making any moves – we might look back and realize locking in his core players to longterm contracts was the smartest move a GM could make. Hughes can now pursue a UFA or trade for a star player without worrying about the next wave of contracts crippling his cap.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
That's what worries me about UFAs. It's great to sign a top player, but then you have to deal with the domino effect on the rest of your roster. Dubas screwed his cap structure by allowing Tavares to become the yardstick for everyone else.
The cap being flat due to Covid and the (downright surprising) inability of the Leafs to convince their superstars to take eg 10 instead of 11 made it a much tougher situation than it should have been.
People are criticizing Hughes for not making any moves – we might look back and realize locking in his core players to longterm contracts was the smartest move a GM could make. Hughes can now pursue a UFA or trade for a star player without worrying about the next wave of contracts crippling his cap.
Okay they're locked up. We still need depth across the top6 and bottom6. Punting this might turn out to be one of the worst decisions Hughes has made. If the Habs stumble through the season with many injuries and no depth and finish bottom-tier yet again, which premium UFA will feel confident to entrust his remaining prime to the Habs when he doesn't even know if they can show up in a playoff series (and they can't even show up for a 82 game season...)? Hughes will have to overpay to convince UFAs that Montreal can be a winner... bringing us back to the JT problem.

Though maybe we'll see action before the season starts... so no criticism until then.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Moving the C around is just re-arranging the deck chairs....same top heavy roster, same weak goaltending, same lack luster defense and same gutless management. Gotta think this season is Shanahan's last gasp.....but then again I remember Beregvin....hanging on and on....

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Tavares was the wrong guy at the wrong time. They did not really need another top centre (Matthews and 2x 30G man Kadri on a team friendly deal were enough) Dubas should have kept is powder dry until the big 3 were signed to extentions, and the Marleau contract expired. What he needed on the UFA market was a top pair D-man. Had he waited Pietrangelo became available. Had Toronto had any cap space there may have been others with the right PJs who would have tested the UFA market too.

Wrong guy at wrong time, I think other GMs in general and Hugo in particular have learned from what the Leafs did wrong.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The cap being flat due to Covid and the (downright surprising) inability of the Leafs to convince their superstars to take eg 10 instead of 11 made it a much tougher situation than it should have been.

Okay they're locked up. We still need depth across the top6 and bottom6. Punting this might turn out to be one of the worst decisions Hughes has made. If the Habs stumble through the season with many injuries and no depth and finish bottom-tier yet again, which premium UFA will feel confident to entrust his remaining prime to the Habs when he doesn't even know if they can show up in a playoff series (and they can't even show up for a 82 game season...)? Hughes will have to overpay to convince UFAs that Montreal can be a winner... bringing us back to the JT problem.

Though maybe we'll see action before the season starts... so no criticism until then.
Hughes is taking a risk and gambling on this core. That's the kind of bold direction a GM has to take. If he's right, we'll see the team improve under our young players and, thanks to those contracts, we'll have the cap flexibility to make trades and/or add a UFA. If everything goes wrong, the rebuild was wasted and we have to start again from scratch. No guarantees, but I won't blame a GM for aggressively pursuing a vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad