HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wasn't this the guy Grant said was going to be a superstar? I remember it got pretty heated.

He's also got those legal issues coming up.
Why would anyone predict that outside of maybe draft day. His junior and AHL stats and play in general were not matching someone projecting to be a super star. I'd say d+1 his projection was pretty much middle six with size and grit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Why would anyone predict that outside of maybe draft day. His junior and AHL stats and play in general were not matching someone projecting to be a super star. I'd say d+1 his projection was pretty much middle six with size and grit.
I don’t know. But I remember the drama here.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
McCagg loved his good frame and skating combination, and thought he was underrated as a potential playmaking, #1 centre.

McLeod is a good example of a player who was easy to project due his ability to place with pace, but he sure couldn't play within pace. I think he and CN were his biggest backers at the time.

I will also say that he ended up being a better player than Jost, who most of must got excited for.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
McCagg loved his good frame and skating combination, and thought he was underrated as a potential playmaking, #1 centre.

McLeod is a good example of a player who was easy to project due his ability to place with pace, but he sure couldn't play within pace. I think he and CN were his biggest backers at the time.

I will also say that he ended up being a better player than Jost, who most of must got excited for.

Jost got hurt by being rushed out of the NCAA.. McLeod was developed properly but the flaws were always apparent, no hockey IQ, and a shot that couldn't beat junior goalies.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Jost got hurt by being rushed out of the NCAA.. McLeod was developed properly but the flaws were always apparent, no hockey IQ, and a shot that couldn't beat junior goalies.
I feel like Colorado lucked out a lot in the mid 2010s with the way they rushed prospects in general, led to several bad decisions that ultimately didn't affect their key players from leading to a cup win. Makar's good but unspectacular first year college numbers may have been for the best.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Lecavalier too high on that list, sadly. No way are him and Mats Sundin, Steven Stamkos, and Patrick Kane on the same tier. In fact it could be argued Sundin should go up a tier. Rick Nash and Slafkovsky too high (Slaf obviously has runway to change his stature and hopefully will). Nolan too low..

No Chris Phillips?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wow , I few a few mistake on that list .

-OV should be on the top list
-Bedard will be a stud , but it's still too early to put him this high
- TVF said to swap Nolan and Nash and i agree
- MacKinnon should be on row #2
- W. Clark should go down a row
I started laughing when i saw Clark ranked that high. My dad was a nord / avs fan and i think if he could see this list from above he would find the adress of the guy who made it and would force him to publish a new list with Clark ranked lower. One of the worst trade in league's history.

Last edited:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I started laughing when i saw Clark ranked that high. My dad was a nord / avs fan and i think if he could see this list from above he would find the adress of the guy who made it and would force him to publish a new list with Clark ranked lower. One of the worst trade in league's history.
Character trade ending up like it should

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Wow , I few a few mistake on that list .

-OV should be on the top list
-Bedard will be a stud , but it's still too early to put him this high
- TVF said to swap Nolan and Nash and i agree
- MacKinnon should be on row #2
- W. Clark should go down a row
Turgeon is "absolute elite" only if you look at his stats lines. I like him but I don't know how many games Slaf has changed to qualify over Fleury.

Reactions: badfish and Frenchy

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Turgeon is "absolute elite" only if you look at his stats lines. I like him but I don't know how many games Slaf has changed to qualify over Fleury.
Turgeon was not elite outside of scoring goals where he definitily was. But his overall game was lacking for sure as a center. He was like not even top 3 in his draft. Sakic and Shanahan were imo better i'd i make a case for Fleury who had a shorter career but was better in playoffs. I like Turgeon though had a great shot but he could not be the main piece you build around. Turgeon would do better in the league today. He was playing a very similar game than Suzuki but had a much better shot his shot was deadly better than Patch.

Last edited:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Turgeon was not absolutely elite outside of scoring goals where he definitily was. But his overall game was lacking for sure as a center. He was like not even top 3 in his draft. Sakic and Shanahan were imo better i'd i make a case for Fleury who had a shorter career but was better in playoffs. I like Turgeon though had a great shot but he could not be the main piece you build around.
I meant Marc-André

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Turgeon was not elite outside of scoring goals where he definitily was. But his overall game was lacking for sure as a center. He was like not even top 3 in his draft. Sakic and Shanahan were imo better i'd i make a case for Fleury who had a shorter career but was better in playoffs. I like Turgeon though had a great shot but he could not be the main piece you build around.
Turgeon also got cross checked in the head early in his career while celebrating a goal. I think that made him more tentative than he would've been.

I won't be able to find the quote but I remember Mike Bossy saying something along the lines of 'it absolutely changes you when something like that happens.'

Reactions: Habs10Habs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Turgeon also got cross checked in the head early in his career while celebrating a goal. I think that made him more tentative than he would've been.
Yeah i remember that it was Hunter right the year we won the cup? You're right he was not as dominant after that. Happened to Lafontaine too. In retrospective the head hunting in the 80ies and early 90ies was disgusting. I lost a lot of respect for Stevens over the years because of that. Used to glorify him when i was young but when i look at his hits today i can't help but be disgusted.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah i remember that. You're right he was not as dominant after that. Happened to Lafontaine too. In retrospective the head hunting in the 80ies and early 90ies was disgusting. I lost a lot of respect for Stevens over the years because of that. Used to glorify him when i was young but when i look at his hits today i can't help but be disgusted.
Stevens is an interesting case. His kind of hitting was encouraged. By the standards of the day, they were considered clean hits. But now? Yeesh.

The NHL should've stepped in much earlier. Careers like Karyia and Lindros being shortened is just brutal. Imagine what those guys could've done if not for the concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,594.00