HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think it would be more to play for his childhood team that also drafted his dad. Sid has 3 cup rings.
I think both are realistic drivers...
Habs will be a fast rising team next 2-3 seasons, adding Sid might well push them into top tier roster territory by fall '25.

Reactions: Tyson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
For Tomas Hertl

1000005702.jpg

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I'd sign him yep. Not at all cost though, since we skipped on Tij. There wouldn't be as much magic in the air.

A one year deal like Perry and Kane are signing would be good.
The Perry signing was possible because most teams thought he was done. Sort of like Staal, except Staal was done and the habs coaching staff gave him ice time as though he were in his prime to absolutely no avail.

Kane had one year where he had to convince teams he wasn’t done. He’s not in that position now.

Crosby is not in that position. If he signs in Montreal there might be an emotional incentive, but he’s not likely to actually do it unless he thinks the team has a chance. If the habs win a round this year, and it is very unlikely, it would vastly widen the available free agent pool.

Reactions: donghabs98

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
He's the second 1st rounder deciding to skip/leave the NCAA after Gridin (outside of 1st oa) this draft. I think that's a first.

In Gridin’s case, it wasn’t by choice from what I understand. No idea if it’s confirmed, but I read that he lost his NCAA eligibility academically, so the next logical route was the CHL import draft. From what I understand, Michigan has some of the highest standards for their student athletes in all of the NCAA.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I mean considering Stephenson is only making 500k less than Hertl, not too bad. Marshessault was never going to fit unless the get rid of Barbashev or Karlsson. Hanafin doesn't allow them to spend money on a much older Martinez.

Vegas did a good job, people keep waiting for them to feel the consequences of trading so many picks but they keep building a lineup that's fairly young and talented.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
In Gridin’s case, it wasn’t by choice from what I understand. No idea if it’s confirmed, but I read that he lost his NCAA eligibility academically, so the next logical route was the CHL import draft. From what I understand, Michigan has some of the highest standards for their student athletes in all of the NCAA.
Girdin said he lost his eligibility because he signed his ELC, not because of his grades.

But the real question is why teams are offering ELCs to players on the NCAA path who still have development to do.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I learned something new...I had no idea Shane Doan worked for the Maple Leafs. I thought he was entrenched with the Arizona/Utah team.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Nah. Since they got new owners the team the Utah/Arizona's are being managed properly. I knew Doan left Arizona. Didn't know he was with the Leafs. Doan is a loser. Coyotes are finally a good team and he leaves (or was booted).

Agree. They seem to have turned a corner, but that’s only been for about 3 months. Doan has been part of the rot the whole time.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Girdin said he lost his eligibility because he signed his ELC, not because of his grades.

But the real question is why teams are offering ELCs to players on the NCAA path who still have development to do.
It's to lock up their rights. A player in the NCAA can eventually become a free agent if they don't sign an ELC.

The player can also develop at the pro level like the ECHL or AHL. It's not like in football where they don't have farm teams to give players some seasoning.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Nah. Since they got new owners the team the Utah/Arizona's are being managed properly. I knew Doan left Arizona. Didn't know he was with the Leafs. Doan is a loser. Coyotes are finally a good team and he leaves (or was booted).
Doan joined the Leafs last June so he left long before Smith became the owner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad