HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do the Oilers even have a GM? Vacant GM has literally been better than Holland this offseason :laugh:

What are the Sabres doing?
Trading a player that doesn't have much value despite his draft ranking two year ago.
Or Savoie wanted to be moved back to a Canadian team and Tullio/McLeod was the best offer.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Savoie big star of the Winnipeg Ice...I wonder if McGroarty was offered.

Oh well, they still have HFHabs golden child Jiri Kulich I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: salbutera

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
See, when I keep saying to draft BPA so you'd get what you need...that's the type of trade Buffalo did. Now..not my fault if Buffalo f***ed up in analysing the value of it. But the idea is a good one. But top 10 pick, with numbers....and you get a 3rd line C as if you are already up there and he's the only piece missing? Come on...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
the yzerplan sucks

I thought all you had to do was draft well in the second and third round

He did a masterful job of building the culture of excellence in Tampa that made the most of the elite future pieces he inherited (Stamkos & Hedman)...

The draft & development aspect of their hockey ops under his watch was robust enough to absorb a few big whifs (Connolly 6OA, Koekoek 10OA, Drouin 3OA) by mining a few gems in later rounds (Kuch, Point, Palat, Cirelli)...

he nailed a few big trades (Drouin, MSL, Namestikov...)

and he absolutely nailed his coaching call with Cooper.

But, as great as his work in building that organization into a mini-dynasty was, this Red Wings stint has been mediocre at best. 6 years in to what was a very good rebuild start situation and he's still pumping breaks on playoff promise... Woof

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
He did a masterful job of building the culture of excellence in Tampa that made the most of the elite future pieces he inherited (Stamkos & Hedman)...

The draft & development aspect of their hockey ops under his watch was robust enough to absorb a few big whifs (Connolly 6OA, Koekoek 10OA, Drouin 3OA) by mining a few gems in later rounds (Kuch, Point, Palat, Cirelli)...

he nailed a few big trades (Drouin, MSL, Namestikov...)

and he absolutely nailed his coaching call with Cooper.

But, as great as his work in building that organization into a mini-dynasty was, this Red Wings stint has been mediocre at best. 6 years in to what was a very good rebuild start situation and he's still pumping breaks on playoff promise... Woof
He had the worst start to a rebuild possible, only old overpaid guys on the team, nothing of value to sell off and no futures or prospects after 20 years of spending.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He had the worst start to a rebuild possible, only old overpaid guys on the team, nothing of value to sell off and no futures or prospects after 20 years of spending.
disagree.

Yes, he only had Larkin as a high quality roster youth... But he had 2 top prospects & 4 prospects picked in the 30's from '18 & '17 drafts in hand plus a 6OA & 35OA.

Lots of cap space and flexibility.

Ownership and fan support ($ & patience).

He's done a mediocre job from where he started from.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hello , would you guys sign sid if he wanted to come here , I'm leaning no but it would be a tough no
Hell yes... Unless by "wanted to sign" you mean he "would sign if we are the highest bidder".

At 38, if he wants to play in Montreal as his swan song, and sees the fit as the vet mentor with an up and coming young core ready to push into cup contention, I'm sure a deal works for both sides, easily.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I need to see the report card.

I'd be insulted if I were whoever in charge right now if they hire another GM for Oilers.
The person acting as the GM right now is Jeff Jackson who is the President and CEO. He is the one going to hire the next GM

Reactions: Wats

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good trade for Edmonton. I'm not a huge fan of Savoie, but McLeod is a defensive player with scoring issues who's also soft as shit. He'll help Buffalo with face-offs and pks, though. Two things that they really need help with. He's also a defensive center with speed.

Buffalo got a player type they need and gave up a small forward prospect of which they have too many of anyway. I get it from Buffalo's side. They need NHL depth.

Still a solid get for Edmonton. Savoie should be able to provide scoring at minimum. It's possible they move Savoie to McDavid's wing and move RNH back to 3rd line center. Savoie is more willing to go into traffic and has better scoring hands than RNH.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Most GMs are Pejorative Slured, they do the dumbest things years after years and they keep getting jobs. In what world do you trade a recent 9th pick, who was doing well, for a #3C ? I'm mad, and I'm not even a Buffalo fan...
1506524542-ruth-perplexev2.png

Reactions: Habnot

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Most GMs are Pejorative Slured, they do the dumbest things years after years and they keep getting jobs. In what world do you trade a recent 9th pick, who was doing well, for a #3C ? I'm mad, and I'm not even a Buffalo fan...
1506524542-ruth-perplexev2.png

It's all about certainty versus uncertainty.

If Savoie never make the NHL, then Edmonton got screwed but if he becomes an NHLer, then Buffalo got half-screwed cause at least they got at least another NHLer but that also depends what type of forward Savoie becomes.

Having said that, I wouldn't have make that trade either from Buffalo POV.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Hell yes... Unless by "wanted to sign" you mean he "would sign if we are the highest bidder".

At 38, if he wants to play in Montreal as his swan song, and sees the fit as the vet mentor with an up and coming young core ready to push into cup contention, I'm sure a deal works for both sides, easily.
Maybe I am totally wrong about what motivates Crosby as a person, but if he chooses to leave Pittsburgh, I can’t see him sign elsewhere than Colorado or Montreal. I think we can offer more $ than Colorado but it might not be enough.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Savoie's one of those kids that everyone knew of when he was 15 years old but hasn't grown much since then and his play plateaued early relative to his peers. I wasn't a fan in his draft year and thought Benson was better despite being a year younger. I doubt Savoie ever has much of an NHL career.

Maybe I am totally wrong about what motivates Crosby as a person, but if he chooses to leave Pittsburgh, I can’t see him sign elsewhere than Colorado or Montreal. I think we can offer more $ than Colorado but it might not be enough.
Let's sign Crosby next summer and McDavid in summer 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad