HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition (Mod Warning #2635)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Is he even allowed to do that as a restricted free agent?
He could but it would make signing an offersheet impossible. Remember when Ryan Oreilly was at a contract impasse with the Avs (2013) and signed an offersheet with Calgary. He had played a couple of games in Europe while holding out. There was a rule in CBA at the time (not sure if its still there) that said if a rfa played in Europe after NHL season started he would need to clear waivers to play in NHL for any team other than the one whose reserve list he was on. Calgary and maybe luckily for Calgary, colorado was unaware of the rule. Colorado matched but had they taken the RFA compensation which was A FIRST AND A 3RD, Flames would have needed to expose him to waivers. Avs were 1st on waiver priority, they could have taken the picks and then taken the player off waivers.

This may be the same rule that messed up Det's plans re Nabakov. They signed him as a UFA mid season in 2011 but because he had played in Europe had to be put on waivers, if memory serves the Isles claimed him and he did not report

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Looks like Vegas got some help from the league with their cap space. What kind of BS is that? Can we do the same with Gallagher and Anderson?

edit: I guess Gallagher/Anderson did show up for camp, unlike Lehner, still. BS.

Reactions: Shred

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Looks like Vegas got some help from the league with their cap space. What kind of BS is that? Can we do the same with Gallagher and Anderson?

edit: I guess Gallagher/Anderson did show up for camp, unlike Lehner, still. BS.
We got cap relief for Price, Weber and Drouin. Is not that enough?

Lehner did not show up no reason to count him. Vegas could have terminated the deal and the result would have been the same they just asked the league to honor the deal while getting the same cap relief they would have gotten while terminating the countract. Also if Lehrer show up at camp he's probably going to LTIR which would have been the same result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Lehner was previously on LTIR. His presence at camp is mandatory so they can either put him on the roster or LTIR.

They didn't recieve any preferential treatment as Lehner is at fault here. What are they supposed to do? Carry a cap hit for a player who isn't present? How is that fair?

I'm all for criticizing Vegas, But this is not on them, nor did they get some special treatment.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Lehner was previously on LTIR. His presence at camp is mandatory so they can either put him on the roster or LTIR.

They didn't recieve any preferential treatment as Lehner is at fault here. What are they supposed to do? Carry a cap hit for a player who isn't present? How is that fair?

I'm all for criticizing Vegas, But this is not on them, nor did they get some special treatment.
I wasn't criticizing Vegas, but the league. They change the rules when it suit them. This is a clear contract termination case without player's approval. Since Vegas is refusing to terminate, the salary shouldn't just be magicked away...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I wasn't criticizing Vegas, but the league. They change the rules when it suit them. This is a clear contract termination case without player's approval. Since Vegas is refusing to terminate, the salary shouldn't just be magicked away...

IF ever there's preferential treatment, it's torwards Lehner who has hit the 9th circle of hell in his personal life and finance. Vegas not terminating the contract doesn't help them at all. It helps Lehner though. I'm sure the PA agrees with the move.

Reactions: LaP

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Vegas and the league are kind of the losers in this story. It's a huge win for the PA tho, the contract isn't terminated and the player get paid in full, they can't ask for more.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We got cap relief for Price, Weber and Drouin. Is not that enough?

Lehner did not show up no reason to count him. Vegas could have terminated the deal and the result would have been the same they just asked the league to honor the deal while getting the same cap relief they would have gotten while terminating the countract. Also if Lehrer show up at camp he's probably going to LTIR which would have been the same result.

No, because Vegas would have had to go into off season LTIR, which means they wouldn't be accruing cap space as the season went on. The fact they now are is a huge boon for them.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I just don't understand why Vegas still has to pay lehner. What lehner is doing sounds like a breach of contract.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Price? Think bigger folks. This is Gallagher's destiny.

c2deafb0-2a0c-4289-8f22-97438e7715e0_text.gif

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I just don't understand why Vegas still has to pay lehner. What lehner is doing sounds like a breach of contract.

Lehner, 33, is still expected to receive the $4.5 million owed to him this season. Sources indicated the Golden Knights had a strong case to fully terminate the deal, which would result in no pay, but they didn’t want to pursue that path – as they were only seeking salary cap relief.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

What the tweet doesn't say is that Lehner's contract is included as collateral in two loans, which were included in his chapter 7 bankruptcy filling, and contested by the last lender, which Lehner had used to pay off the first lender and then filled for bankruptcy just a month later. The second lender is accusing the Lehners of fraud (false statements to get the loan) and his contract is probably held-up by the proceedings.

So this did not cause a precedent and no Price won't be able to do the same because his contract isn't held-up in court proceedings. If he doesn't come to camp, Habs can simply terminate the contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad