Jul 3, 2002
Any takers?

1000009622.jpg
1000009621.jpg

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What a joke to have skipped to pick on this kid
Yeah but we needed a RD....lol. It's Kotkaniemi all over again. Just f***ing frustrating. And imagine the pressure that Reinbacher will have once he comes back, after missing all year last of poor development, and all this year because of an injury....

the idea that we might have pass on a kid because of a supposed attitude just says how bad we are at adressing those issues and how we are not ready to play with the big boys.

Pros know best. The f*** they do. Pros know people that hires best. That's more like it.

so frustrateing to hear that we lack talent when we openly drafted for needs in that case....just insane.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Yeah but we needed a RD....lol. It's Kotkaniemi all over again. Just f***ing frustrating. And imagine the pressure that Reinbacher will have once he comes back, after missing all year last of poor development, and all this year because of an injury....

the idea that we might have pass on a kid because of a supposed attitude just says how bad we are at adressing those issues and how we are not ready to play with the big boys.

Pros know best. The f*** they do. Pros know people that hires best. That's more like it.

so frustrateing to hear that we lack talent when we openly drafted for needs in that case....just insane.
The thing is .. i just find Reinbacher very.... vanilla in terms of talent overall nothing special in him for a 5oa.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The thing is .. i just find Reinbacher very.... vanilla in terms of talent overall nothing special in him for a 5oa.

Lidstrom was a very "vanilla" dman...

Not the fastest
Not the hardest shot
Not physically imposing

Simple game. Impeccable execution.

Flashy may be more exciting, but impact is more important.

Might be a bit early to land on the "he's nothing special" takes.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
One thing is sure....look at the live draft from 2023. Nobody in here can whine that Michkov and Reinbacher is all hindisight...big majority was crushed when it wasn't Michkov and hated the Rein pick.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
One thing is sure....look at the live draft from 2023. Nobody in here can whine that Michkov and Reinbacher is all hindisight...big majority was crushed when it wasn't Michkov and hated the Rein pick.
We were talking about Michkov/Bedard 2-3 years before the actual draft year lol since it alligned with our tank, Man was that a tough pill to swallow on draft night

Reactions: Whitesnake

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Wasn't that pretty much the same with Slaf / Wright?

Funny that the loud complaining when, in hindsight, a preferred pick ends up doing well isn't matched by a similar volume of contrite posting when a preferred pick ends up worse than the guy we selected.

(I'd have preferred Michkov... And Wright... Maybe that's why I'm less bothered lol)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Lidstrom was a very "vanilla" dman...

Not the fastest
Not the hardest shot
Not physically imposing

Simple game. Impeccable execution.

Flashy may be more exciting, but impact is more important.

Might be a bit early to land on the "he's nothing special" takes.
Lindstrom was picked in the 3rd round. Not top 5. Lindstrom was so much a maybe that Detroit themselves picked Bob Boughner before him....

Reinbacher at 10-15 is perfect. The way, for example, that while not the same type of d-men, but McAvoy was picked. A mix of already having skills vs development. A top 5 pick should be a more surefire pick than a guy who go all in mostly on development. Reason why there's quite a few d-men chosen later that becomes top end players....Weber, Faulk, Suter etc.

Wasn't that pretty much the same with Slaf / Wright?

Funny that the loud complaining when, in hindsight, a preferred pick ends up doing well isn't matched by a similar volume of contrite posting when a preferred pick ends up worse than the guy we selected.
Look at the draft. And it wasn't as much one-sided. ONe th ing is sure, at least as far as I'm concerned, all year long I was going from Cooley to Wright to Slaf. I had Wright No1. But hated his playoffs. I had Cooley for the talent factor. And had Slaf for talent/size. I know that once the pick was made, there wasn't so many WTF reactions that they were for Rein.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dgeezus

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lindstrom was picked in the 3rd round. Not top 5. Lindstrom was so much a maybe that Detroit themselves picked Bob Boughner before him....

And? Doesn't this only reinforce the point that it's pretty silly to complain about "vanilla"? There's a reason it's one of the highest selling flavors ;)

Reinbacher at 10-15 is perfect.

1- RB at any spot sucks if he doesn't pan out.
2- Lidstrom at 1OA in any draft would make that a "best ever" territory draft for any franchise.

Draft spot is completely irrelevant the day after the draft.

The way, for example, that while not the same type of d-men, but McAvoy was picked. A mix of already having skills vs development. A top 5 pick should be a more surefire pick than a guy who go all in mostly on development. Reason why there's quite a few d-men chosen later that becomes top end players....Weber, Faulk, Suter etc.

Go back and look at the career trajectory of 5OA picked dmen. Your perspective doesn't fit the historical record.

Kucherov & Point got selected later. It's not just elite dmen that occasionally get missed in the draft/scouting process. These aren't "flaws" with the process, it's the nature of the subject matter. Athlete development isn't linear, the age of draft eligibility is completely random, teams do their best to project, but it'll never be exact... Hence why draft position is irrelevant the day after.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
And? Doesn't this only reinforce the point that it's pretty silly to complain about "vanilla"? There's a reason it's one of the highest selling flavors ;)

1- RB at any spot sucks if he doesn't pan out.
2- Lidstrom at 1OA in any draft would make that a "best ever" territory draft for any franchise.

Draft spot is completely irrelevant the day after the draft.

Go back and look at the career trajectory of 5OA picked dmen. Your perspective doesn't fit the historical record.

Kucherov & Point got selected later. It's not just elite dmen that occasionally get missed in the draft/scouting process. These aren't "flaws" with the process, it's the nature of the subject matter. Athlete development isn't linear, the age of draft eligibility is completely random, teams do their best to project, but it'll never be exact... Hence why draft position is irrelevant the day after.
The complain is that at top 5, history says that you need one elite quality. Top 5 that don't pan out are usually the ones who didn't.

Yes, a bad pick is a bad pick no matter where they are. Just like McCarron was a bad pick. The difference? Well on top of having a bad pick, at top 5 you easily could wonder what if with the few guys you missed when late 1st round...chances are you have less players to wonder about...

Nowhere did I say you don't find forwards later on. history suggest that goalies and d-men are tougher to predict, hence you will then find more succesful stories about them then forwards. But yes, there will be forwards too.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Look at the draft. And it wasn't as much one-sided. ONe th ing is sure, at least as far as I'm concerned, all year long I was going from Cooley to Wright to Slaf. I had Wright No1. But hated his playoffs. I had Cooley for the talent factor. And had Slaf for talent/size. I know that once the pick was made, there wasn't so many WTF reactions that they were for Rein.
A year ago there were as many posters complaining vocally and incessantly about how ruined Slaf was and how we screwed up by not picking Cooley as there are RB/Michkov posts (& MSL sucks posts).

6 months later.... Script flipped.

All I'm saying is that it is premature to suggest RB was a bad pick, and silly for anyone to act as if their guess on the "right" pick was a guarantee. Has there ever been a draft where the top 5-10 picks ended up having career impact aligned with that order? Never. It's silly for anyone to act as if their preferred pick was the only obvious choice.... No one gets them all right.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The complain is that at top 5, history says that you need one elite quality. Top 5 that don't pan out are usually the ones who didn't.
Composure (particularly in gap control and transition puck movement) is an elite trait, one that RB seems to possess

& I disagree with your assessment here as well. Looking at fwd & D picked at 5OA, many were without any one clear "elite" quality.

Yes, a bad pick is a bad pick no matter where they are. Just like McCarron was a bad pick. The difference? Well on top of having a bad pick, at top 5 you easily could wonder what if with the few guys you missed when late 1st round...chances are you have less players to wonder about...
Hindsight is addictive.

Calling a player a bad pick at the start of D2, after he's looked very good in his brief AHL time, is ungrounded hyperbole.

Also, McCarron has had a better career than 6 players chosen ahead of him, and is coming off of his best season as a pro.

Nowhere did I say you don't find forwards later on. history suggest that goalies and d-men are tougher to predict, hence you will then find more succesful stories about them then forwards. But yes, there will be forwards too.

I don't think it's "tougher to predict", it's a numbers game. There is more opportunity for a fwd to find an NHL regular career (see McCarron).

There are far more late round forwards that make it eventually for that same reason

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
A year ago there were as many posters complaining vocally and incessantly about how ruined Slaf was and how we screwed up by not picking Cooley as there are RB/Michkov posts (& MSL sucks posts).

6 months later.... Script flipped.

All I'm saying is that it is premature to suggest RB was a bad pick, and silly for anyone to act as if their guess on the "right" pick was a guarantee. Has there ever been a draft where the top 5-10 picks ended up having career impact aligned with that order? Never. It's silly for anyone to act as if their preferred pick was the only obvious choice.... No one gets them all right.
Personnally, I'm not saying RB is a bad pick. I keep saying he will be serviceable. That he has what it takes to be a No3-4 that will be quite helpful in the playoffs. Issue is always for me at picking the best player available no matter the position. And go get the position needed in due time.

so like everything, a pick is bad or great. But for everybody a pick is even worst or even greater if the playere we wanted does bad or great too.....nature of the beast.

But I don't know why people are surprised that on a hockey board where we speak every day, that things change and evolve. That we can hate a pick, and love it after. That we can love a pick and hate it after. Isn't it a board suppose to be like that?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Hindsight is addictive.

Calling a player a bad pick at the start of D2, after he's looked very good in his brief AHL time, is ungrounded hyperbole.

Also, McCarron has had a better career than 6 players chosen ahead of him, and is coming off of his best season as a pro.
But isn't that hindsight though? McCarron was picked to give size to your top 6. McCarron wasn't picked to be great D+11 when in reality NOBODY stays with the team that picks them that long afterwards.

McCarron might be better than 6 guys chosen before him but he's worst than how many guys chosen after?

McCarron is the dime a dozen types of players that you get for a 5th rounder at the deadline for a team who wants to compete. As far as the draft is concerned, I would have prefered being wrong going after a Zykov or a Petan than a McCarron...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad