HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024-2025 season

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You underestimate the stupidity of some in our fanbase. Even if the Habs win 2 Cups in the next 5 years, they will still cry about not having Michkov because they will say we could have won 3 or 4 Cups with him. Sad.

I personally wanted Leonard but I have not once bitched about the Reinbacher pick since it was made. If in 5 years from now he busts, then maybe I'll mention it was a bad pick. Way too early right now for that.
👍

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He wouldn’t have come to the NHL if another team drafted him. Is that what Friedman said?

Citation please

We can debate semantics and language, but it’s not rocket science to put it together.

On his 32 Thoughts podcast, Elliotte Friedman reported teams haven’t been able to set up meetings with Michkov before the draft, as is customary.

“Teams want to get to know who they’re dealing with here,” Friedman said on the podcast.

“What I’m hearing is that in Russia, the teams that could get there to meet him, it wasn’t easy to get to talk to him.

“You would try to talk to him, set up appointments. He just wasn’t interested.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's no wild excuses. He's a big, RD with strong defensive techniques and solid transition skills. He's a necessary component of our team. No one wins anything with shit D. Just look at Toronto. It's no coincidence that Vegas has done well by focusing on D on the expansion draft, UFA & trades. Tampa Bay doesn't win f*** all without their 4 man D unit of Hedman, Cernak, McDonagh & Sergachev.

Reinbacher was drafted because he's a great prospect. Period.

And, Reinbacher's success is absolutely necessary to the team's success. We need his type of player on our defensive unit.
We defintitely do.

I didn't think he'd make it out of camp but I was hoping we'd see him at some point in the season. The only vet we have on the right side now (who's actually a right shot) is Savard. I don't think that's a great way to go forward, esp with RB out for the year. Super sucks that he got hurt but that's just the way it's been over the past few years. Can't explain it.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Of course they care. It's going to factor into your decision if a player doesn't want to play with you... how would it not?

Again, I wanted Michkov. I was pissed when we didn't take him. But I'm looking at it from the standpoint of a fan who hasn't seen a real offensive forward in a long time. They're looking at it from the longterm perspective of building a team. And when you do that, position scarcity is going to factor in. Top RDs are harder to get than scoring wingers. They were looking at things long term and probably figured they could get that scoring winger profile in a later draft. And they did exactly that in the very next draft.
The draft is somewhat akin to an "arranged marriage," which, BTW, have significantly lower divorce rates than non-arranged marriages. Michkov would have played for us, even if we were not his first choice of NHL teams. From what we've heard, the only team in that top group that he refused to meet with pre-draft was Arizona. That in itself tells you which of those teams he probably would not have initially agreed to play for, but even there I think he would have eventually buckled. If it was HuGo's decision to pass on Michkov, and not of someone or some people above them, then HuGo screwed this up - you shouldn't pass on possible generational talents like him. It's okay, I still like them, we all make mistakes.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The draft is somewhat akin to an "arranged marriage," which, BTW, has significantly lower divorce rates than non-arranged marriages. Michkov would have played for us, even if we were not his first choice of NHL teams.
Maybe...
From what we've heard, the only team in that top group that he refused to meet with pre-draft was Arizona. That in itself tells you which of those teams he probably would not have initially agreed to play for, but even there I think he would have eventually buckled. If it was HuGo's decision to pass on Michkov, and not of someone or some people above them, then HuGo screred this up. It's okay, I still like them, we all make mistakes.
The player research (including his desire to be here or lack of it) is one factor. But the simple fact is that the Habs also really needed a stud RD. They believed they could fill the scoring winger later on - and they did.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The draft is somewhat akin to an "arranged marriage," which, BTW, have significantly lower divorce rates than non-arranged marriages. Michkov would have played for us, even if we were not his first choice of NHL teams. From what we've heard, the only team in that top group that he refused to meet with pre-draft was Arizona. That in itself tells you which of those teams he probably would not have initially agreed to play for, but even there I think he would have eventually buckled. If it was HuGo's decision to pass on Michkov, and not of someone or some people above them, then HuGo screwed this up - you shouldn't pass on possible generational talents like him. It's okay, I still like them, we all make mistakes.
Hasn’t proven anything yet to be labeled “generational talent”.

A few more defensive plays like OT last night and Torts will have the “generational talent” riding the bench

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Maybe...

The player research (including his desire to be here or lack of it) is one factor. But the simple fact is that the Habs also really needed a stud RD. They believed they could fill the scoring winger later on - and they did.
Through pure luck. Not a great "long-term strategy," IMO.

Hasn’t proven anything yet to be labeled “generational talent”…
That's why I said "possible" GT. Come on, Sal, I expect better from you.

• Love
Reactions: salbutera

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Pronman, Wheeler, Robinson, etc. The guys who got the order pretty spot on and then did it again this year.
Pronman said he'd take Michkov at 5 if he was available. What about the report that Bobrov said that in reality, they didn't take Michkov because they had Caufield already? And Lapointe stating ''3 years in waiting''? I guess we will know later on....but if you don't say it out loud, what happens is that if you don't pick the huge offensive potential superstar kid, for a defensive d-man that has a great 1st pass....you are putting a target on the said D kid....

Reactions: ReHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Through pure luck. Not a great "long-term strategy," IMO.
It's not pure luck at all. There were several great wingers available. Eiserman, Demidov Lindstrom, Demidov, Iginla, Senneke... the only equivalent RD in the draft was Levshunov. They knew that ahead of time.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
C’mon that goes completely against “Da NHL CODE”… teams never say anything negatively about a prospect at the draft.

Recall, No team would OPENLY state Mailloux was on their “do not draft list”

Negative? The kid would have said I don't want to play for you...you have to invent that you found him 2 inches too short? It's the reality. A guy tells you at 18, I don't want to play here....you say it. Like the Flyers did. Or evey other team who first and foremost has to explain to its FANS, the ones who pay the contracts, that you had their hands tied at the time. It's not like it would become a habit.

Reactions: ReHabs

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It's not pure luck at all. There were several great wingers available. Eiserman, Demidov Lindstrom, Demidov, Iginla, Senneke... the only equivalent RD in the draft was Levshunov. They knew that ahead of time.
Demidov will likely be the only "equivalent" or near-equivalent to Michkov production-wise over his career of that group of forwards you listed. I'm actually very confident of that.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
How hard is it to follow the script. Philly drafted him because he wan ted to play there.

There is no chance HuGo would ever talk about a player belonging to another team or denrgrate one. They are trying to attract FA's etc not scare them off.
or...because Philly picked the BPA? Geez, can we say that for every player now? Do you know why were able to pick Caufield at 15 that late??? CAUSE HE WANTED TO PLAY HERE AND HERE ONLY!!!!

Well if you are 18 and DEMAND Mario Lemieux style to PLAY somewhere....you deserve the backclash. Just like McGroarty had and will have. What's denigrating? They are telling something Michkov will just have to say that it was true...

Reactions: the

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
True. I was thinking about the acquistion of Laine to complete the top 6

Demidov will likely be the only "equivalent" or near-equivalent to Michkov production-wise over his career of that group of forwards you listed. I'm actually very confident of that
Yes Demidov is likely the only one and will probably be the more complete player.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

We can debate semantics and language, but it’s not rocket science to put it together.

Seems like you need rocket science and alchemy to get to the conclusions some of you bandy about.

So no proof that he snubbed the Habs, as usual.

Okay, will you accept the Habs preferred Reinbacher to Michkov? Or did they only settle for Reinbacher out of necessity?

Which is it?

There's no wild excuses. He's a big, RD with strong defensive techniques and solid transition skills. He's a necessary component of our team. No one wins anything with shit D. Just look at Toronto. It's no coincidence that Vegas has done well by focusing on D on the expansion draft, UFA & trades. Tampa Bay doesn't win f*** all without their 4 man D unit of Hedman, Cernak, McDonagh & Sergachev.

Reinbacher was drafted because he's a great prospect. Period.

And, Reinbacher's success is absolutely necessary to the team's success. We need his type of player on our defensive unit.
Well said.

Some people need to continue to stand with the decision and rationale of the brain trust. Making excuses for why Reinbacher was picked undermines everything.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Obviously. That’s why it’s only an opinion at this point.
Right.

But I don't think it's wrong to say that drafting RB was a calculation they made based on positional scarcity and what was coming in the next draft. If it wasn't Demidov it would've been some other winger.

At the time there was Cellebrini, Levshunov, Demidov, Eiserman… not a stretch to think they’d get a top forward. That’s a lot of high end talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Seems like you need rocket science and alchemy to get to the conclusions some of you bandy about.

So no proof that he snubbed the Habs, as usual.

Okay, will you accept the Habs preferred Reinbacher to Michkov? Or did they only settle for Reinbacher out of necessity?

Which is it?

Well said.

Some people need to continue to stand with the decision and rationale of the brain trust. Making excuses for why Reinbacher was picked undermines everything.
Both things can be true.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How hard is it to follow the script. Philly drafted him because he wan ted to play there.

There is no chance HuGo would ever talk about a player belonging to another team or denrgrate one. They are trying to attract FA's etc not scare them off.

None at all. This management has never badmouthed players or done anything to make them look bad. Saying they should have said so if Michkov didn't want to come is the kind of opinion a child would have. Michkovs agent openly said he didn't want to play for Arizona or Washington. A Russian Washington scout mentioned the interactions with Michkov were not good. Yet, people think it's some sort of leap that the guy with a 3 year contract in Russia could signify it to other teams.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
People think I'm stuck on just Michkov but I would have been thrilled with Leonard. To be honest I have some issues with Michkov, he looks like a 'me player' in Philly, dude celebrates just a little too hard in the preseason has a bit of Gilbert Dionne in him. I just don't see the upside in Reinbacher, but I'm happy to eat my words maybe 5 YEARS down the road at this rate.
Michkov is BPA but there are non-ice factors there. They really exist. There will bumps on the road.

Going for BPA I’m far from convinced that Leonard is superior to Reinbacher. I respect your opinion but we’re really at the level of personal preference.

Reactions: Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad