HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024-2025 season

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Friedman reported Michkov wanted to remain in close proximity to large Russian community in Brooklyn where he apparently has relatives.

FWIW Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay is Little Russia. Approx 1.5 hr drive away
If true, pick Leonard. And OPENLY mention that Michkov specifically told the Habs he didn't want to play for them.

Because for 20 years we've had absolute idiot managers , I'd rather have given the team to a random HF poster than Gainey and Bergy lol. So yeah we are used to saying *I told you so* , nothing new with this organisation.

That said , this might be the only big mistake that Hughes has done so far , the sky is not falling or anything yet. We actual have some decent management in charge. They can afford a mistake , still gonna say I told you so if Rein ends up meh.

I just have I told you so PTSD :laugh:
Tough to be allowed a mistake when you are suppose to be in the mix and at the very start of a rebuild to build a top contending years for 10+ years to come. We had the best goalie in the world and couldn't afford mistakes. Not sure why we can now....We are not talking about 30th pick here. Top 5. Surely some will say we could have afford a Mesar mistake....(I still have my doubts) but top 5 if Reinbacher can be this dominant minute munching player? We will see in 5 years.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
After 5 years. He could have tried to force a trade if he wanted to.
And they could have told him to go take a hike, which he must have realized, hence why he finally signed with them. I'll say it again, because it's accurate: American born NCAA players are the only players with actual leverage after they're drafted, because NHL teams cannot keep their NHL playing rights indefinitely.

If Michkov only told Utah he wouldn't sign with them how did he know teams 2-5 wouldn't draft him? And why didn't they?
Teams 2, 3 and 4 drafted projected top line centers, who have more value than wings, as I suppose do projected first pairing right D - it remains to be seen if Orville ever becomes that.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
If true, pick Leonard. And OPENLY mention that Michkov specifically told the Habs he didn't want to play for them.
Even if it was the case, you just can't admit this in public because it would alienate and undermine the reason why Reinbacher was drafted.

Imagine how that would make you feel that the only reason you got drafted by your team is because a better prospect told them they didn't want go to there so you were 2nd choice.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Friedman reported Michkov wanted to remain in close proximity to large Russian community in Brooklyn where he apparently has relatives.

FWIW Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay is Little Russia. Approx 1.5 hr drive away
He wouldn’t have come to the NHL if another team drafted him. Is that what Friedman said?

Citation please

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yet Philly didn't pass on him. 'Cause somehow Philly was so much more a place to play hockey rather than us? lol. At worst, the kid didn't have the greatest mindset because he was a kid. Yet, if you have a solid base, vets, and coaching....should you really be afraid of players like that? How many players in history couldn't work anywhere they went? What's the percentage of that?

Frankly, this is a business of results. Actually, all businesses are. You can have the greatest argumentation against. You can have the most solid case against, if there are no results or lack thereof, you will pay the price.

Right now, Bobrov and Cie has their first bad needs vs BPA pick. The same way Timmins had with JK. The only thing right now helping Bobrov is that contrary to Timmins, he doesn't seem to have that mentality as his go to stratregy. Demidov and Hage will be coming hopefully shortly and that will upgrade the team big time. Let's hope so. I just wish our team will always go BPA.
How hard is it to follow the script. Philly drafted him because he wan ted to play there.

Tough to be allowed a mistake when you are suppose to be in the mix and at the very start of a rebuild to build a top contending years for 10+ years to come. We had the best goalie in the world and couldn't afford mistakes. Not sure why we can now....We are not talking about 30th pick here. Top 5. Surely some will say we could have afford a Mesar mistake....(I still have my doubts) but top 5 if Reinbacher can be this dominant minute munching player? We will see in 5 years.
There is no chance HuGo would ever talk about a player belonging to another team or denrgrate one. They are trying to attract FA's etc not scare them off.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgeezus

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
And OPENLY mention that Michkov specifically told the Habs he didn't want to play for them
That won’t happen because that never happened.

This is more cope and speculation from Reinbacher’s biggest fans. Apparently they’re such good and honest fans of Reinbacher that they have to make up totally false claims about Michkov to justify the Reinbacher pick.

Michkov (post-Soviet Russian teenager) demanded to be close to the now Russian Jewish community of Soviet emigrés on Brighton Beach. It was non-negotiable for him. He wouldn’t have accepted being drafted by another team.

That’s why he maneuvered himself to be drafted by Philadelphia, a two hour drive from Brighton Beach (and that’s without the infamous traffic).

This is like PK Subban’s wine cellar story all over again. They knew they’re lying, we know they’re lying, and they keep lying anyway.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
C’mon that goes completely against “Da NHL CODE”… teams never say anything negatively about a prospect at the draft.

Recall, No team would OPENLY state Mailloux was on their “do not draft list”

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
When it comes to Michkov he had 3 years left on his deal and was in a position to scare off teams which he did. We can't undo what was done so we move on. Demidov and Hage will make us forget him in short order
You underestimate the stupidity of some in our fanbase. Even if the Habs win 2 Cups in the next 5 years, they will still cry about not having Michkov because they will say we could have won 3 or 4 Cups with him. Sad.

I personally wanted Leonard but I have not once bitched about the Reinbacher pick since it was made. If in 5 years from now he busts, then maybe I'll mention it was a bad pick. Way too early right now for that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Perpetual rebuild so we can become the Montreal Sabres.

Definitely done for the season. Crutches and knee brace. Not releasing info because they’re waiting on second opinion before saying his whole year is a write off. This sucks. My excitement for this season completely drained again, just like hearing Dach go down for the whole season last year.

Because for 20 years we've had absolute idiot managers , I'd rather have given the team to a random HF poster than Gainey and Bergy lol. So yeah we are used to saying *I told you so* , nothing new with this organisation.

That said , this might be the only big mistake that Hughes has done so far , the sky is not falling or anything yet. We actual have some decent management in charge. They can afford a mistake , still gonna say I told you so if Rein ends up meh.

I just have I told you so PTSD :laugh:

So, Reinbacher has played zero NHL games and we're already saying it was a mistake to take him?

Okay...

Reactions: dgeezus and bcv

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
How hard is it to follow the script. Philly drafted him because he wan ted to play there.

There is no chance HuGo would ever talk about a player belonging to another team or denrgrate one. They are trying to attract FA's etc not scare them off.
We don’t care where he wanted to play. If he wanted to play in the NHL one day, he would have no choice if the team that drafted him decided to play hardball with him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What was reported?

You guys keep making wild assertions. Provide the evidence.

Arizona being a dump organization might’ve had something to do with it

If we had good media here it would be a simple question from them: did you feel Michkov wouldn’t want to be drafted by Montreal?

It would put the topic to bed.

Poor Reinbacher… now Habs fanboys have come up with wild excuses for picking Reinbacher, like he was always second choice and second best even at 5OA if not for external circumstances. Sad.

There's no wild excuses. He's a big, RD with strong defensive techniques and solid transition skills. He's a necessary component of our team. No one wins anything with shit D. Just look at Toronto. It's no coincidence that Vegas has done well by focusing on D on the expansion draft, UFA & trades. Tampa Bay doesn't win f*** all without their 4 man D unit of Hedman, Cernak, McDonagh & Sergachev.

Reinbacher was drafted because he's a great prospect. Period.

And, Reinbacher's success is absolutely necessary to the team's success. We need his type of player on our defensive unit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Poor Reinbacher… now Habs fanboys have come up with wild excuses for picking Reinbacher, like he was always second choice and second best even at 5OA if not for external circumstances. Sad.
Stop framing this as a 'fanboy' vs 'hater' debate.

Either you have a strong enough position to make an argument or you don't. Don't resort to this in order to discredit people you disagree with. It doesn't make your position any stronger.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We don’t care where he wanted to play. If he wanted to play in the NHL one day, he would have no choice if the team that drafted him decided to play hardball with him.
Of course they care. It's going to factor into your decision if a player doesn't want to play with you... how would it not?

Again, I wanted Michkov. I was pissed when we didn't take him. But I'm looking at it from the standpoint of a fan who hasn't seen a real offensive forward in a long time. They're looking at it from the longterm perspective of building a team. And when you do that, position scarcity is going to factor in. Top RDs are harder to get than scoring wingers. They were looking at things long term and probably figured they could get that scoring winger profile in a later draft. And they did exactly that in the very next draft.

Reactions: dgeezus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad