GDT: Our Team vs tHEIR tEAM

Should you watch this game?

• Total voters

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Best things that can happen going forward.

-Darling is cut, traded, waived, whatever. He can't be here anymore, he just can't. Start him every game and tank.
-Rod either steps down or is fired Keep him through the season; make sure Velucci is well paid.
-Don Waddell either is fired or quietly steps down. Yes, and don’t allow him to trade any core pieces
-Dundon doesn't meddle and make "No defense in the 1st round" comments. Yes!
-Dundon hires legit NHL GM and coach.Just a GM. Next GM hires the coach.

Hopefully seeing Skinner succeed in Buffalo while Cliff Pu (3 points in 22 games in the freaking AHL) struggle in Charlotte wakes his ass up.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Putting on the tin foil hat, I wonder if the old boys club of NHL owners aren't willing, or ready to let Dundon in on the poker table to get a trade done. "We don't want to trade within conference, or division" yada yada yada, or is it we don't want to trade with you.

It might be harder than expected to get that sniper we want, if no one wants to deal with us. Sure we have some defenseman, but how desperate are the teams we want to trade with, really? Maybe not desperate enough to help out Dundon.

Maybe he's not good with the people skills. Maybe he hasn't done the right things so far to be an accepted trade partner. Firing Francis probably didn't do him any favors, even though Francis wasn't getting the job done. Francis may have been his path to legitimacy with other teams, even if he maybe wasn't so cut out for the job.

Maybe I'm day drinking too much.

Ok, tinfoil hat off.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Putting on the tin foil hat, I wonder if the old boys club of NHL owners aren't willing, or ready to let Dundon in on the poker table to get a trade done. "We don't want to trade within conference, or division" yada yada yada, or is it we don't want to trade with you.

It might be harder than expected to get that sniper we want, if no one wants to deal with us. Sure we have some defenseman, but how desperate are the teams we want to trade with, really? Maybe not desperate enough to help out Dundon.

Maybe he's not good with the people skills. Maybe he hasn't done the right things so far to be an accepted trade partner. Firing Francis probably didn't do him any favors, even though Francis wasn't getting the job done. Francis may have been his path to legitimacy with other teams, even if he maybe wasn't so cut out for the job.

Maybe I'm day drinking too much.

Ok, tinfoil hat off.

Wow, that never occured to me. I suppose that could be the case, with the exception of Calgaries owner. Of course the Sabres owner could hate his guts and still take Skinner all day. But yeah, Dundin could be making it hard to get deals done.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't even think it was firing Francis, but rather how it was done. Doing it during the season made no sense. It was past the deadline, so for all intents and purposes, the GMs job was basically done for the season. It would have been simple to simply let Francis finish the year, then fire him to start the off-season. If that happened, I don't think there would have been nearly as much of an outcry.

If I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat, based on some of the comments made after the firing, I'd say the fault probably lies with Waddell. One of the statements made from Mirtle (I believe) was that Francis was "hurt" by the firing. Now Francis is a smart guy, he had to have known his time was running out. The only situation I can think of where he'd be "hurt" by his dismissal is if someone he trusted betrayed him.

I'm thinking Waddell got in Dundon's ear and convinced him that he could do a better job as GM than Francis. It would explain the suddenness of it, and why no real attempt at finding a new GM was made.

But I'm also betting that Francis hasn't kept that situation to himself, which might explain why Waddell is struggling to find trade partners.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's likely as simple as hockey trades being very difficult to make. Other teams are looking to get better, not go sideways.

The strategy of accumulating an abundance at one position to later trade for another position is dangerous. Sometimes you find yourself in the right place at the right time (Goligoski for Neal.) Other times, you're stuck with a high pick (Bean) that appears to be locked out of the NHL for the foreseeable future through no fault of his own. The timing hasn't been right for this organization yet and may not be for this build.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Waddell has made 2 trades in 6 months. That doesn’t tell me he’s having trouble finding partners.

Actually, was Martinook a trade? I think so?

Well yeah, he's going to find trading partners if he continues to make offers that favor whoever he's trading with.

Martinook was a trade, probably the only one he's "won" thus far.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
It's likely as simple as hockey trades being very difficult to make. Other teams are looking to get better, not go sideways.

The strategy of accumulating an abundance at one position to later trade for another position is dangerous. Sometimes you find yourself in the right place at the right time (Goligoski for Neal.) Other times, you're stuck with a high pick (Bean) that appears to be locked out of the NHL for the foreseeable future through no fault of his own. The timing hasn't been right for this organization yet and may not be for this build.

No, I think it's more likely Dundon is hated by the larger community of NHL owners for being a southern outsider and for firing an ambassador of the old boys club. Francis was probably a high ranking official in their secret society.

I'm bored with this team and this owner already, and Rod is a blow hard. Have to get creative.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't even think it was firing Francis, but rather how it was done. Doing it during the season made no sense.

Francis was "promoted" during the week of the acc mens basketball tournament, which Adam Gold and Luke DeCock were covering in New York. The following week was the start of March Madness (all 3 local teams participating). It was the perfect Friday for a perfidious newsdump.

I'm thinking Waddell got in Dundon's ear and convinced him that he could do a better job as GM than Francis.

Francis, in the face of an absentee owner, turned the front office into his personal fiefdom. Dundon, in retrospect, clearly intended to do the same.

It could simply be that Dundon didn't think he could make it "his" office until the last boss was a memory. I wouldn't be surprised that Francis didn't object to staying in some capacity, even if his power was diminished.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We have an inexperienced coach, an incompetent GM and an interfering owner. No ridiculous claim is out of the realm of possibility.
I mean, when some think other teams won't trade with us, in spite having made at least 3 trades under this regime, I'd say it's too far. If anything, teams would put aside being butt hurt over an incredibly mediocre GM being cast aside, and do everything they can to trade with us the way you painted us.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I mean, when some think other teams won't trade with us, in spite having made at least 3 trades under this regime, I'd say it's too far. If anything, teams would put aside being butt hurt over an incredibly mediocre GM being cast aside, and do everything they can to trade with us the way you painted us.

It was meant to be too far.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I cant think of any alternatives. Either team does what we tell them, or we shouldn't ever talk. The logic is sound.

There's no logic there at all. But by all means, carry on.

I can't really add anything more than Hank's response, but I look forward to a 40-slide powerpoint response.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
On a team with Svech and Aho those are the three you send out?

I just can't get over this no matter hard I try. There is something wrong with this. You have Sebastian f***ING Aho doing his magic with two goals already in the game, then you not decide to use him in the shootout at all! Neither TT who scored in the game ..neither Svechnikov.

It's either Carolina is desperately tanking or this is pure madness

So your best scorers does not shine with shootouts attempts at practice. It may have something to do with the fact they are your best/most used/exposed shooters and your goalies are probably adjusted to them..

Last edited:
Reactions: SvechNecas

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
He's just trying to get guys going. He's trying to show confidence in guys like McGinn, PDG, an Kuokannen

I understand what he was trying to do.

It backfires and you look dumb though

really? you understand? it not just look dumb it really is, wont get dumber than this. unless it was done with purpose and they had to lose no matter bad it looks

Last edited:
Reactions: SvechNecas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad