GDT: Our Team vs tHEIR tEAM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should you watch this game?

• Total voters

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Ok--so we can now assume that Dundon didn't agree with Francis' decisions--which must mean he trusted the evaluations of RBA.... Which have resulted in more mediocre hockey, questionable line-up decisions and forcing the trade of Skinner for peanuts... I can see where mediocre hockey may just be the fate of the Hurricanes but how has Dundon not seen the error of his ways on the other pieces?

Unless of course he just just stealth tanking the Canes to kill any fan support so he can try to get the NHL to approve a move to Houston. If the NHL doesn't agree, he dumps his ownership back to PK--like that is an option. Think about, he fires team legend Francis, causing much fan outrage, he "fires" Chuck Kaiton, again angering the fan base who has been around the longest, he keeps Waddell--who helped send Atlanta to Winnipeg, he then hires a completely untested RBA--which excites fans--but then will fire him near the end of season, which will again anger those same fans thinking he wasn't given a fair shot. On top of the owner meddling comments, the reported cheaping out on hiring decisions--I am beginning to see he is much more shrewd about moving the team to Houston than I once believed.
I certainly hope this isn't the case, but it makes sense. I think Bettman is smart enough to see the growth of this market and will protect it. The NHL needs some kind of presence in the southeast outside of Florida. Raleigh is it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

That sounds like what you're looking for

That's the nice boiling down of it after the fact.

I guess I'm reacting to the press conference version, which was delivered in much the same grasping manner as a befuddled hockey Grandpa who had just dropped his spectacles in the snow.

The lasting impression was "f*** it I dunno". Which is pretty much the impression he's sending across the board.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There is no way the league is approving the Canes to Houston with the Yotes ownership issues and them just being moved into the Central as a result of the Seattle expansion. They assuredly get first dibs on Houston. If Dundon is trying to kill the market here for a move, it is much more likely to QC. I don’t think that is what is going on with Dundon. Occums razor suggests it is just incompetence and the “you get what you pay for” personnel decisions he’s made.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I think Dundon is trying to be the smartest guy in the room and do things his own way. It's not working the same in hockey as it does in other businesses. Not yet at least. I'm still giving him time. It's not like we're doing significantly worse with his moves than any of the previous GMs or owner or coaches or players.

All that to also say I don't buy any conspiracy theories

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I think based on Dundon’s overall tone this week he’s a little fired up about the way this has gone.

With the rumors of our backed off trade you can’t help but feel something is coming.

Hold onto your butts.
All that does is worry me. I can see some knee-jerk hell-bent reaction where we trade a 3+year proven shutdown Dman for a 30 game NHL sample-size speedster who plays on one of the best offensive teams in hockey.

You know, I used to not dislike the Leafs. However, their fan presence here makes me chant "Let's Go Bolts" more and more everyday. All I want for Christmas is another Leaf's 1st round exit

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ok--so we can now assume that Dundon didn't agree with Francis' decisions--which must mean he trusted the evaluations of RBA.... Which have resulted in more mediocre hockey, questionable line-up decisions and forcing the trade of Skinner for peanuts... I can see where mediocre hockey may just be the fate of the Hurricanes but how has Dundon not seen the error of his ways on the other pieces?

Unless of course he just just stealth tanking the Canes to kill any fan support so he can try to get the NHL to approve a move to Houston. If the NHL doesn't agree, he dumps his ownership back to PK--like that is an option. Think about, he fires team legend Francis, causing much fan outrage, he "fires" Chuck Kaiton, again angering the fan base who has been around the longest, he keeps Waddell--who helped send Atlanta to Winnipeg, he then hires a completely untested RBA--which excites fans--but then will fire him near the end of season, which will again anger those same fans thinking he wasn't given a fair shot. On top of the owner meddling comments, the reported cheaping out on hiring decisions--I am beginning to see he is much more shrewd about moving the team to Houston than I once believed.

If we are tanking, it is for draft picks and not to move the team. The man is already investing too much of his own money into this franchise, arena, and region to turn around and go "oh you know what, just kidding" and literally give it away at a net loss. And he's certainly not tanking this franchise just so he can turn around and invest another $300m or so into a relocation fee to have the team in Houston. That is not smart money. Dundon is smart money. It doesn't make sense.

What we have is an owner who was convinced by Waddell that this rebuild would be easy and that he'd have us competing this year. Just needed to cut the dead weight, get lucky in the draft, and boom, it would be great. Remember how convinced we were that we could 'fix' Darling? That didn't come from Dundon, that was him being convinced by others it was possible. It didn't even last 2 months before that mistake was realized and he was waived.

What I expect to see in the coming months is Dundon realizing he made some managerial mistakes up front, and to see him bring in some actual hockey minds that will turn this around. We have the pieces where we should be at least competing nightly. We have the pieces where hockey trades should be made. Dundon complains that we don't have a sniper, but we literally gave Skinner away for nothing a few months ago and he's now 3rd in goals in the league. You know that CAN'T sit well with him. The more I hear him talk, the more I get the feeling he realizes that the wool was pulled over his eyes from the start. I don't know if he actually trusts Waddell anymore, from his words, it doesn't sound like it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Best things that can happen going forward.

-Darling is cut, traded, waived, whatever. He can't be here anymore, he just can't.
-Rod either steps down or is fired
-Don Waddell either is fired or quietly steps down.
-Dundon doesn't meddle and make "No defense in the 1st round" comments.
-Dundon hires legit NHL GM and coach.

Hopefully seeing Skinner succeed in Buffalo while Cliff Pu (3 points in 22 games in the freaking AHL) struggle in Charlotte wakes his ass up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad