Low Effort GDT Ottberia Senators vs Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
its the preseason though. Vets take it easy
Absolutely. If you're an established vet, your goal is to get your timing down, and not get hurt. If you're a rookie, that game is everything. And, the gap between fringe NHLer and a star isn't as big skill wise as we all might think - anyone good enough to be on that ice last night is a heck of an athlete and player. Jenik playing for his career is no doubt better than, say, Batherson at 75%. Always remember that a group of U.S. collegiate players playing out of their minds beat the Soviets in their prime at Lake Placid...

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Absolutely. If you're an established vet, your goal is to get your timing down, and not get hurt. If you're a rookie, that game is everything. And, the gap between fringe NHLer and a star isn't as big skill wise as we all might think - anyone good enough to be on that ice last night is a heck of an athlete and player. Jenik playing for his career is no doubt better than, say, Batherson at 75%. Always remember that a group of U.S. collegiate players playing out of their minds beat the Soviets in their prime at Lake Placid...
All true, but last night's leafs looked alot like last years leafs.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Standouts:

Yakemchuk - obvious reasons, but there were also other plays, one that sticks in my mind was against Matthews in the neutral zone where he won a battle and made at nice pass. NHLer

Jenik - great contributions, but he was a guy trying to make a team. Good for him

Kleven: only because he was steady all night in an unfamiliar group of defencemen. He is going to help this year

Reinhardt - right place, right time. He has showed well during his callups, and will have to wait for his chance

Addison - looked serviceable, will be interesting to see if he can unseat JBD

Kulemin : honestly blown away at how well he skated for his age. Just a smart, msart player and a guy that I can totally see getting a contract like Brassard. This guy is going to be useful, and if he doesn't sign here, people no doubt noticed him and he will catch on somewhere

Disappointments:

Crookshank - chance to show what he can do. He sucked and upset that he didn't seize the chance

Chabot - started out well, and again had no one to play with, but same type of reads as usual

Batherson/Pinto - just going through the motions

Sogaard: tough game to play when not seeing any pucks for 20 minutes, but a bad goal was let in. I have to give him props for preserving the tie, but not confident at all when he is in net

sena

Jul 3, 2024
The yanks got whooped on and stole a victory outshot 39-16. Goaltending and luck won the game.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Yakemchuk, Jenik, and Rhino were obvious standouts, but Halliday had a productive game with 2 primary assists on the game tying and winning goals. He also showed his kinks, that costly penalty (puck over glass) which was a bit panicky clear as he was in the process of being pasted to the boards. He is a big guy, but can gain from some strength training, but can still have a positive impact with the puck when he is on ice. Has very good playmaking instincts.

A bit more seasoning in the AHL where he learns to play both sides of the puck and we may have another potential top-9 player here.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
All true, but last night's leafs looked alot like last years leafs.
I imagine preseason results like last night are an opportunity for Berube to make his point to players like Matthews and Marner. Until then, all the chalkboard talk and head-nodding doesn’t make a difference.

Reactions: PaulD

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puck was following him around all night.

Kleven isnt supposed to look like a star he is a defensive D man he's best when he is invisible. He is more noticeable live than on t.v.
I don 't expect Kleven to score a lot of goals or get a lot of assists; I do expect him to use his size to advantage and punish Fs with big hits and clear the front of the net. Needs more work in the AHL based on last evenings performance.

I imagine preseason results like last night are an opportunity for Berube to make his point to players like Matthews and Marner. Until then, all the chalkboard talk and head-nodding doesn’t make a difference.
I know what you mean. However, those two, Marner and Mathews, have performed excellently during the season but need to up their game in the playoffs. Exhibition is not that time, so . . ..

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot started out fine but reverted to the same ol Chabot we were used to. Defensive miscues and lack of awareness.
Mr Casual! Too much for me.

There's some nice reasons to be pleased tonight, none the least of which are role players playing a role.

Jenick was hounding the leafs d all game, reinhart too. And macewan who was useless last year was quite good on the forecheck.

I also quite liked Kleven's game. That is a tough assignment.

Yakemchuck was solid all game, really, really impressed.

Soogard certainly didn't look all that solid, but again, that is a tough assignment
I agree with all you said except for Kleven; he did not earn a spot with that performance.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yakemchuk, Jenik, and Rhino were obvious standouts, but Halliday had a productive game with 2 primary assists on the game tying and winning goals. He also showed his kinks, that costly penalty (puck over glass) which was a bit panicky clear as he was in the process of being pasted to the boards. He is a big guy, but can gain from some strength training, but can still have a positive impact with the puck when he is on ice. Has very good playmaking instincts.

A bit more seasoning in the AHL where he learns to play both sides of the puck and we may have another potential top-9 player here.

Yeah top line AHL minutes as their #1 center makes a lot more sense for Halliday's development than the 4th line C spot.

Now if Norris' injury woes continue and there's a center spot in the top 9 at some point in the season, he's the ideal call-up for that situation.

He's a very smart player with great vision/playmaking. Put him beside skilled wingers and he'll put up numbers at any level.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's not he's strength, He's an offensive defenseman that's why we got Jensen
I thought Chabot would be an offensive defensemen but he is not looking like a very good one. I hope our new coaching staff teaches him how to play a better defensive game, demands that he does so, and holds him accountable. I think he is coachable and can do it; just needs the influence of a strong coaching staff that will force him to improve. A guy like Torts!

That Lake Placid thing was a significant outlier and will likely not occur again in a 100 years . But I did like Dave Christian who played there and joined the Jets afterward. He was an average NHL level player if I recollect correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad