Low Effort GDT Ottberia Senators vs Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Jenik should get a long look for that 4th line spot.

Even if he slows down I think I'd rather have him play on the 4th line than Halliday or Ostapchuk.

Jenik is 24 and has put up big AHL numbers already. Halliday has 17 games at the pro level and Ostapchuk only had 28 points last year.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
FORWARDS (from best to worst)

1. Jenik: Owner of the Leafs tonight and it wasn’t just the points either. Physical, bull in a China shop type. Keep going, we’re intrigued.

2. Reinhart: After all these years and all these training camps, it’s the first time he’s moving the needle. He was never bad in the past, just your regular, average, vanilla player. Tonight, he looked like a young Colin Greening. Big, smart, strong as a horse. There just might be something there.

3. Kulemin: LOVING the old man? He’s surprisingly fast and his experience oozes through the smart plays he makes all over the ice. As perplexing as the PTO was, he would NOT be a bad option as an insurance policy 13 or 14F (if this game is anything to go by).

4. Amadio: Another veteran whose experience shines through on the ice. Nothing is rushed with him. Every play is made with a purpose and every stride is taken with a thought. He’s not the fastest, nor the biggest or the most skilled, but he gets where he needs to be and is solid along the boards. Steady, steady, steady… With enough brain power to create offense. Dollar store Mark Stone. Good pickup.

5. Batherson: Took shifts on the PK. Looks much more engaged than last year. Still electric with the puck on his stick while clearly not giving it his all. He’s primed to have a career year.

6. Crookshank: He’s being given a prime opportunity in a scoring slot and has yet to capitalize on the half dozens chances Pinto-Batherson set him up for through two games. The tools (skating and shot) are there, but he clearly needs to take a breath and embrace his chance.

7. Gregor: He’s extremely fast, but what else?

8. MacEwan: Didn’t realize he was playing until the fight. Not great, not bad, just not sure he helped his case tonight, as far as making the team goes.

9. Pinto: Looked slow and sluggish all night. But hey, he’s not fighting for a spot and it’s pre-season. Won a bunch of key faceoffs in the defensive zone.

10. Halliday: VERY muted (and borderline bad) outing compared to the intrasquad game. Though, in all fairness, it was his first “official” professional game. Not all rookies are Carter Yakemchuks…

11. Gaudette: Same old tired story. Elite offensive tools. Zero defensive awareness and slow as molasses.

12. Bourgault: Awful. Made a solid play behind Murray’s net on the 5th goal, but that was about it, in a sea of net negatives.

9. Pinto: Looked slow and sluggish all night. But hey, he’s not fighting for a spot and it’s pre-season. Won a bunch of key faceoffs in the defensive zone

In the 2nd period he blocked a shot with the top of his foot. Had a rock in his boot half the game. He'll be back to his old self with some ice bath and sock

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Would be completely on-brand for some of our bottom six vet signings to come in and play like they're just happy to be cashing a paycheque.

Stephan and Paquette send their regards.

To be fair, Stepan was expecting a child at the same time he was traded and that may have made the trade very difficult on him. Dorion either didn't do his due diligence, or got tunnel vision because of Stepan's low salary and how good of a player he was 4 years earlier.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Yes that’s why Pinto, Chabot, Batherson and Amadio were out there tonight. I think you have to play “7 veterans”. I don’t know what the game requirement is to be considered a veteran.

But I bet we get a similar looking lineup, in terms of regulars, to what the Leafs had tonight in our first home game.

Tkachuk, Stu, Ullmark, Sanderson, Giroux, Perron, etc.

It’s just five, and anyone picked in the most recent draft’s first round also counts (basically it’s ‘players people might have heard of’, so nhl veterans plus high-eyeball prospects)

So Yakemchuk actually contributed to the ‘relevant player minimums’ this game. And boy did he deliver.

Kulemin counted, too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
FORWARDS (from best to worst)

1. Jenik: Owner of the Leafs tonight and it wasn’t just the points either. Physical, bull in a China shop type. Keep going, we’re intrigued.

2. Reinhart: After all these years and all these training camps, it’s the first time he’s moving the needle. He was never bad in the past, just your regular, average, vanilla player. Tonight, he looked like a young Colin Greening. Big, smart, strong as a horse. There just might be something there.

3. Kulemin: LOVING the old man? He’s surprisingly fast and his experience oozes through the smart plays he makes all over the ice. As perplexing as the PTO was, he would NOT be a bad option as an insurance policy 13 or 14F (if this game is anything to go by).

4. Amadio: Another veteran whose experience shines through on the ice. Nothing is rushed with him. Every play is made with a purpose and every stride is taken with a thought. He’s not the fastest, nor the biggest or the most skilled, but he gets where he needs to be and is solid along the boards. Steady, steady, steady… With enough brain power to create offense. Dollar store Mark Stone. Good pickup.

5. Batherson: Took shifts on the PK. Looks much more engaged than last year. Still electric with the puck on his stick while clearly not giving it his all. He’s primed to have a career year.

6. Crookshank: He’s being given a prime opportunity in a scoring slot and has yet to capitalize on the half dozens chances Pinto-Batherson set him up for through two games. The tools (skating and shot) are there, but he clearly needs to take a breath and embrace his chance.

7. Gregor: He’s extremely fast, but what else?

8. MacEwan: Didn’t realize he was playing until the fight. Not great, not bad, just not sure he helped his case tonight, as far as making the team goes.

9. Pinto: Looked slow and sluggish all night. But hey, he’s not fighting for a spot and it’s pre-season. Won a bunch of key faceoffs in the defensive zone.

10. Halliday: VERY muted (and borderline bad) outing compared to the intrasquad game. Though, in all fairness, it was his first “official” professional game. Not all rookies are Carter Yakemchuks…

11. Gaudette: Same old tired story. Elite offensive tools. Zero defensive awareness and slow as molasses.

12. Bourgault: Awful. Made a solid play behind Murray’s net on the 5th goal, but that was about it, in a sea of net negatives.
Reinhart is 6"0 200 lbs. Not what I would call BIG, but not small.

I was not impressed in any way with Amadio and Gregor. Amadio is slow and did not hustle back to cover a man on the 3 on 3. Gregor is afflicted with the same illness that many of our Fs had last season: skate back into our D zone and watch the puck. Gregor did not take a man. Very disappointed in him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Reinhart is 6"0 200 lbs. Not what I would call BIG, but not small.

I was not impressed in any way with Amadio and Gregor. Amadio is slow and did not hustle back to cover a man on the 3 on 3. Gregor is afflicted with the same illness that many of our Fs had last season: skate back into our D zone and watch the puck. Gregor did not take a man. Very disappointed in him.
Well he wasnt great with Toronto last year either

Reactions: BigRig4 and Cosmix

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
1000011286.jpg

Last edited:

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
DEFENSE

1. Chabot: Oh he’s so back. Let’s face it, he’ll never be picture perfect defensively, but when he’s on, he’s one of, if not the best player on the ice for either team. Re-bienvenue, Thomas.

2. Yakemchuk: I desperately wanted Buium and died inside when we passed on him. Dickinson was next on the list, then Yak, as I didn’t much care for Parekh/Silayev. Wrong, wrong, wrong! And a lot of us should be prepared to eat some delicious crow for years on this one. Yak looked like a 10 years veteran out there tonight. Tantalizing hybrid of a young Shea Weber and young Drew Doughty. Potential homerun pick by the scouts and the first legit top pairing RhD prospect to come through the pipeline since EK65. Oh boy! The stock is hot and the stakes are high right now.

3 Addison: Been liking him A LOT through 2 games. Very good skater, active in all 3 zones and the much anticipated glaring defensive issues have yet to manifest themselves. Either he worked extremely hard on improving this summer or he has yet to be tested by legit opposition. So far, everything looks effortless and there’s even some physicality sprinkled in there. If he keeps this up, neither JBD or Hamonic will slot above him.

4. Kleven: Big, strong, with a true presence on the ice. Slightly faster than last year and noticeably improved reads in the defensive zone. He’s not as smooth as an Alex Vlasic or as offensively gifted as Mason Lohrei, but he has shown just enough to keep a hold of the 3LD spot so far.

5. Sebrango: Not a mistake free game, but a pleasant surprise tonight.

6. Guenette: He battled hard, but seemed to be a step behind the play all night. Definite NHL potential, but not NHL ready yet.

GOALIE

Sogaard: Hot and cold as usual, but got better as the game progressed

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I know it's the pre-season, but I think I'm increasingly thinking Soogard just doesn't have it in him to be a starter in the league. Sure, have patience, he's 23, but at some point you have to show "something". He had a good year in the AHL but not spectacular by any stretch.

At this point I see a career AHLer with the off chance of being a poor backup goalie.

I'm hoping Meralainen hits. He seems to have a higher ceiling but not sure if the consistency is there quite yet.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
There's some nice reasons to be pleased tonight, none the least of which are role players playing a role.

Jenick was hounding the leafs d all game, reinhart too. And macewan who was useless last year was quite good on the forecheck.

I also quite liked Kleven's game. That is a tough assignment.

Yakemchuck was solid all game, really, really impressed.

Soogard certainly didn't look all that solid, but again, that is a tough assignment

Reactions: Icelevel and bert

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I know it's the pre-season, but I think I'm increasingly thinking Soogard just doesn't have it in him to be a starter in the league. Sure, have patience, he's 23, but at some point you have to show "something". He had a good year in the AHL but not spectacular by any stretch.

At this point I see a career AHLer with the off chance of being a poor backup goalie.

I'm hoping Meralainen hits. He seems to have a higher ceiling but not sure if the consistency is there quite yet.
Hoping some of our bubble guys will be better quality shots for soogard sake.
Maybe needs some time with ullmark?

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Pretty exciting game, I know it's just pre-season but Chabot had a few blunders out there. Sogaard was alright aside from the first 5 minutes of the third where it was mass chaos, but glad we pulled through. That collapse early in the third looked eerily similar to a lot of the breakdowns from last season, hopefully we clean that up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There's some nice reasons to be pleased tonight, none the least of which are role players playing a role.

Jenick was hounding the leafs d all game, reinhart too. And macewan who was useless last year was quite good on the forecheck.

I also quite liked Kleven's game. That is a tough assignment.

Yakemchuck was solid all game, really, really impressed.

Soogard certainly didn't look all that solid, but again, that is a tough assignment
Soogard has no idea where the puck is ever. Its insane, he is sliding around without tracking it. Really disappointing, very happy they brought in Tokarski if there's an injury. Pucks go through this guy every game.

Reactions: Icelevel

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Pretty exciting game, I know it's just pre-season but Chabot had a few blunders out there. Sogaard was alright aside from the first 5 minutes of the third where it was mass chaos, but glad we pulled through. That collapse early in the third looked eerily similar to a lot of the breakdowns from last season, hopefully we clean that up.
Chabot started out fine but reverted to the same ol Chabot we were used to. Defensive miscues and lack of awareness.

Reactions: SensFactor

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I thought Chabot was losing his positioning and was being out fought many times tonight. He also does a poor job tying up players in front of the net. Its preseason, but he didnt look great.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We gotta get Sogaard outta here asap.

If something happens and we need him to contribute with the big club, we're f***ed.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad