Rumor: Ottawa wants Andrei Kuzmenko (SKA, KHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's 25 and has been in the KHL for a while. This is first big year. I'm gonna have very tempered expectations.

He was considered as a future star for a few seasons now. Had all the talent in the world, but something didn't work. It started to work this season though.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
People say Carolina wants him too.

pierre-dorion-throwing-drink.gif

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Ottawa has the ice time advantage. They can offer him a good shot at lots of ice, while TB definitely can't make that same offer.
Katchouk, Ross, and T. Raddysh are no sacred cows, especially if this guy is as good as his numbers suggest he could be.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Katchouk, Ross, and T. Raddysh are no sacred cows, especially if this guy is as good as his numbers suggest he could be.

Yeah, but Ottawa can likely guarantee him Top 6 minutes with powerplay time. Is that a for sure thing in TB? Also, will TB in a competitive window want to take a chance guaranteeing playing time to a guy who could fail?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, but Ottawa can likely guarantee him Top 6 minutes with powerplay time. Is that a for sure thing in TB? Also, will TB in a competitive window want to take a chance guaranteeing playing time to a guy who could fail?
You don't have to play top-6 to score in Tampa (granted you'll play less than those players) and he has almost no shot at PP1 (probably could get a look at PP2, but I think they hardly get time since our PP1 is so good when fully healthy).

With respect to your last question, maybe 5 years ago I think that would be the case. Cooper used to be awful about putting "trusty vets" out in critical situations that were just not good enough to be out there. Now? I'm not so sure. Anyways, if the scouts and coaches and JBB like what they see enough to sign him and trade away one of our young guys to make room under the cap then the upside is that he absolutely will get a chance to play in the playoffs (which he obv. doesn't get with Ottawa this year).

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'll believe the Leafs have a shot at any Russian FA they want considering history and their relationships over there (that player's agent specifically).

Reactions: teddygmr

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'll believe the Leafs have a shot at any Russian FA they want considering history and their relationships over there (that player's agent specifically).
They do ,but will they spend the limited resources they have on an unproven player...Or will they wait and try to make a bigger splash later at the TDL

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Milstein will want to put him in a situation to put up points before he quickly becomes a UFA.

Milsteins had a bit of a pipeline to Toronto but not sure he'll want this guy going there. He's pushed for Mikheyev to get more PP time and has watched him fail to grab a regular top 6 role, there's definitely other teams where Kuzmemko will have more guaranteed opportunities.

I dunno about the no PP time, since getting back from his injury he has 2 PP goals in like 4 games.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
You don't have to play top-6 to score in Tampa (granted you'll play less than those players) and he has almost no shot at PP1 (probably could get a look at PP2, but I think they hardly get time since our PP1 is so good when fully healthy).

With respect to your last question, maybe 5 years ago I think that would be the case. Cooper used to be awful about putting "trusty vets" out in critical situations that were just not good enough to be out there. Now? I'm not so sure. Anyways, if the scouts and coaches and JBB like what they see enough to sign him and trade away one of our young guys to make room under the cap then the upside is that he absolutely will get a chance to play in the playoffs (which he obv. doesn't get with Ottawa this year).

I think the idea of being on a scoring 3rd line appeals to a good amount of guys looking where to sign.

• You get to play against other teams 3rd or 4th lines, and 3rd pairs if your teams top 6 is really good
  • By playing against slightly inferior opponents you can usually get some good #s going
  • A team that rolls 3 lines a bit more would make a ton of sense IMO, as you get the decent ice time and dont go against top pairs/shutdown lines as often.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I dunno about the no PP time, since getting back from his injury he has 2 PP goals in like 4 games.
Additionally we don't really know what his role was to be considering he just played his first games of the season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Well, I stand corrected.
Nope, turns out you were correct, I didn't read on further enough in CBA, see following. My apologies.

... Not sure exactly what part of the CBA is involved here but it's probably the same as Nikita Gusev who signed an ELC as a 26 year old.

hmmm - thanks for that
CF does indeed list that 1-year first NHL contract as an ELC,
Nikita Gusev Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

so i found a clause in CBA,
immediately following those signing age guidelines I cited above,,
that seems to specifically addresses the Gusev, and possible Kuzmenko situations
"... a Player ... who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v)** (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. ...."

** Article 8.4(a)(v):"...a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft ..."

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So if he is smart he goes to an Ottawa or something, guarentee himgood ice time for the year and then he can get accustomed to the NHL game and then have his choice after that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Update.....but kind of a non-update. Kuzmenko will worry about an NHL contract after the KHL season has concluded. His agent says that "virtually every team in the NHL has interest."

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
lol this is not a Barabanov or Mikheyev situation here. Kuzmenko is gonna be a legitimate star for whatever team signs him. Every team is gonna hit him up with max one year ELC for sure.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just wondering if he's on the Olympic taxi squad since I did not see him named to the main roster. Also, is there a reason why he wasn't named? Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad